• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in Australia

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfenhaus dead cert to make Test debut at home in Hobart and Aussies certain to go with 4 quicks IMO.

SL really need to put a strong batting side as then at least they have a chance of losing by only a few hundred runs or few wickets rather than get mauled by an innings again...:laugh:

I would seriously therefore pick

Jayasuriya
Atapattu
Vandort
Mahela
Sangakkara (wicket keeper)
Chamara Silva
Samaraweera
Vaas
Malinga
Dilhara
Murali

But there are others who might argue and who have repeatedly argued that Maharoof despite his strike rate now of 98 and only 24 wickets in 19 Tests (seriously the guy is in danger of getting his Strike rate over 100 soon and before you know it he will be on par with Roger Wijesuriya whose strike rate was 530 odd and is recorded as the most inoccuous bowler in Test Cricket history:laugh: :laugh: ) should be included because as they put it "he restricted runs in the first innings":)

I can see their point because if not for Maharoof Sri Lanka would've lost on the 4th evening or 5th morning....the runs he saved made a difference ...in that it delayed Australia winning by a couple of sessions at least...:laugh: :laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Jason said:
Hilfenhaus dead cert to make Test debut at home in Hobart and Aussies certain to go with 4 quicks IMO.
You said that about the last game and they will not change the side after an innings victory.

pasag

RTDAS
Congratulations Australia on a fine win....What a thrashing by an innings....

Sri Lanka are absolutely gutless ...and to lose by an innings -they are bunch of spineless bunch ever to represent the country bar guys like Murali and a couple of others...

For Australia there are winners everywhere Jacques, Clarke, Hussey, Ponting , Hayden...Lee, Johnson, Clark.... Well played...and a brilliant team performance....There may be no McGrath or Warne...but these guys play like a Team...Great Stuff...

I still think South Africa if they played Australia now or India (when their strong batting side turns up with everyone among the runs like they did a few years ago) are quite capable of beating this Aussie side....and they will this Summer...

And this Aussie side will not be able to match the performances of some of their predecessors in the Subcontinent....because they simply don't have the bowling strength, IMO.
You seriously believe this? It's one thing to say Australia will be given a run for their money, but to say Australia can't match them is very strange. Not to mention a paragraph before you're going on about Australia's matchwinners and the like. Almost as if you change your mind half way.

sideshowtim

Banned
Figures certainly didn't do him justice. A few bad balls, but was quite unlucky I thought (in much the same way Muralitharan was).
Yeah, agreed. At times it looked like MacGill was the most threatening of all bowlers. He was certainly better than his figures suggest. You also can't understimate the value of Vandort's wicket in the context of the game. He was looking as solid as hell, and everyone knows Vandort is a 'no runs or a lot of them' kind of player...At that point Sri Lanka were actually looking okay and clawing themselves back into the game (saving it at least). However that wicket led to a lot of other wickets soon after.

Laurrz

International Debutant
I said before that Midge should share the new ball with Binger before the match..but now i think Clark should.. Midge atm perhaps lacks control with the new cherry and Sarfraz would be more of a handful with the new seam as he bowls in right areas...surprisingly he swung it in Brisbane too!

We gotta watchout for Lanka come Friday.. with matchwinners coming back (maybe) in Sanga and Malinga..
with Sanga back there batting looks much stronger and with their bowling you feel that they can skittle you at any time with Malinga/Murali

JBH001

International Regular
Figures certainly didn't do him justice. A few bad balls, but was quite unlucky I thought (in much the same way Muralitharan was).
Agreed. He bowled better than his figures suggest - and the SL batsmen for the most part played him well too. Although, I do think he bowled better in the first innings especially as it proceeded - in the second innings I did not think him as effective. However, I do think he should play in Hobart. He deserves an extended run in the side, and will do much better given more helpful surfaces.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, just trying to fire you all up. Still reckon he's crap and he hasn't yet got figures to prove me otherwise. Sri Lankans made him look a lot better than he is IMO, didn't put away enough of his many poor deliveries. Will get demolished if played against India.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, just trying to fire you all up. Still reckon he's crap and he hasn't yet got figures to prove me otherwise. Sri Lankans made him look a lot better than he is IMO, didn't put away enough of his many poor deliveries. Will get demolished if played against India.
India are the best players of Spin ...even Warne had difficulty and struggled to get Indian wickets...It would be pointless to even contemplate playing spinners against India....:laugh: They will all be lining up from the Indian dressing room to play Macgill or Hogg....

Sri Lankans on the other hand have struggled against Hogg in ODIs and have never played him in a Test...(I personally think they will struggle against Hogg even in Tests) Sri Lankans have had difficulty with Warne (as well documented) and occasionally with Macgill.

Arajasingh

Cricket Spectator
Simon Katich

Hi everyone I am new here. I am from New Zealand (originally from India).:)

What happened to Simon Katich? He is good batsman with great ability against spin (he did well against India in 2004). Macgill was cannon fodder against the Indians & will be the same again.

Can anyone please help - does anyone have a full recording of VVS Laxman's innings in Calcutta in 2001 & at Sydney in 2004 (even highlights of this one would be great). I am also looking for highlights & full recording of the India Australia series of 1998 (the famous one between Warne & Tendulkar).