• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Well done, great to see the guys get the win. Slowly but surely if feels like the correct choices are being made and hopefully SA team can continue producing the goods and improving. When's the next tour of Aus?
I think South Africa and the West Indies will be the touring teams to Aus next season. Should be a cracker, I believe SA haven't lost a series in Aus since 2006 though they are probably not quite favorites this time around.

Shooz

Cricket Spectator
probably our best chance to beat saf in a test series goes begging

oh well we'll break their hearts again in a world cup match i'm sure so there's always that ;)
You've had your chance - give the other nations a chance to break our WC hearts. ?

Chrish

International Debutant
A lot of things were timed exactly right around the WTC final - Kane was fit, Ross still had one major knock in him, Devon had just debuted and looked a million bucks, Jamieson was in beast mode, Wagner had a bit more pep in him and Boult/Southee were doing their thing as well.
And final took place in England :p

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
'Stat of the day
An absolute gem, courtesy of Cricinfo. New Zealand openers Latham and Young collectively scored four runs in this match, the joint-fewest by a team's openers in a test match.'
WOW this is an astonishing stat, test crickets been going for a long time.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats to South Africa for totally turning the tables on NZ, and within a week, which(surely?) makes this the largest ever turn around in test cricket
history, within that time frame.They were brilliant from the moment Elgar chose well to bat, and were always ahead in the game,
at some stages of the match all 11 players chipped in with something useful for the team.
big shame about the 3rd test, that would've been juicy.

Marius

International Debutant
Congrats to South Africa for totally turning the tables on NZ, and within a week, which(surely?) makes this the largest ever turn around in test cricket
history, within that time frame.They were brilliant from the moment Elgar chose well to bat, and were always ahead in the game,
at some stages of the match all 11 players chipped in with something useful for the team.
big shame about the 3rd test, that would've been juicy.
1646138661861.png

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its becoming more frequent though. :) Maybe the next one happens in like 3 years from now?

Also interesting is the fact that all 4 seem to be in away series.

Incredible performance by South Africa anyhow. It is good to see them get back among the big boys in test cricket.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm yet to see the highlights, but the fact that four guys fell on the last day pulling seems interesting. I'll reserve judgement, and I suppose it's hard to say too much without the context of how they played.

But yeah, well done to SA. It's easy to say we were inept and at times we were, but a lot of quality out of Erwee, Rabada, Verreynne, Jansen, Maharaj, even Sipamla I thought was outstanding. And Elgar for having the balls to bat first with the order he had at his disposal.
LOL the context is very straight forward! 4 NZ batsman had ridiculous hoiks which only turned out making themselves look like SPASTICS.
NZ are their own worst enemy, and and I just cannot understand how they could be so brittle. Absolutely PATHETIC.
You play a game for 5 days, and do all you can to win, and when that's not possible you go all out to draw. and if that draw wins you the series,
even more reason to go all out survival. NZ showed about as much fight as a young schoolboys playground needing to get back to class.
The HOOK and PULL shot should be almost completely put away, runs are of no use whatsoever.
This frail display can only be tracked to the coaching department,
In all honesty, can you imagine the drama if rain came 5 minutes after being all out, as one of those batman who had no self control, wouldn't
you feel like a BIG DICK.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would love to have a look at NZC's finances and find out why it costs them half a million or whatever it is to host a Test match, as well as what amount of revenue they're able to generate of it.

If you can't run a profitable home Test on the back of being WTC champions then something must be really wrong. I get that NZ is an expensive place and the audience/market for Tests isn't that big, but surely there must be some revenue streams being untapped here.
Personally think they can save a lot of money by not having umpires.
LOL the context is very straight forward! 4 NZ batsman had ridiculous hoiks which only turned out making themselves look like SPASTICS.
NZ are their own worst enemy, and and I just cannot understand how they could be so brittle. Absolutely PATHETIC.
You play a game for 5 days, and do all you can to win, and when that's not possible you go all out to draw. and if that draw wins you the series,
even more reason to go all out survival. NZ showed about as much fight as a young schoolboys playground needing to get back to class.
The HOOK and PULL shot should be almost completely put away, runs are of no use whatsoever.
This frail display can only be tracked to the coaching department,
In all honesty, can you imagine the drama if rain came 5 minutes after being all out, as one of those batman who had no self control, wouldn't
you feel like a BIG DICK.
Spot ON

vedantshah

Cricket Spectator
Fixtures

Thu, 17 Feb, Way to early
1st Test, Christchurch, Feb 17 - 21 2022

Fri, 25 Feb, Again way to early
2nd Test, Christchurch, Feb 25 - Mar 1 2022

Squads

New Zealand (for first test)

Tom Latham (C), Tom Blundell (WK), Devon Conway, Colin de Grandhomme, Cam Fletcher, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls, Rachin Ravindra, Hamish Rutherford, Tim Southee, Blair Tickner, Neil Wagner, Will Young.

South Africa

Dean Elgar (c), Temba Bavuma, Sarel Erwee, Zubayr Hamza, Simon Harmer, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Wiaan Mulder, Lungi Ngidi, Duanne Olivier, Kagiso Rabada, Ryan Rickelton, Lutho Sipamla, Glenton Stuurman, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne

Both teams missing key players, not saying Keegan Petersen is at the level of Kane Williamson but he was in form and that is a loss to a team.

Will New Zealand finally get one over South Africa in a test series, it will be tough for the Proteas but they should have gained some confidence after the series win against India.

Attachments

Immenso

Worrying that the Irish test still isn't in that schedule.

You just know that both boards would loooooooooovvvvve to swap that for extra whiteball games.

Actual legitimate leak out of NZC offices below ......
View attachment 30670
I was partially wrong on this.

Should have been:
1646167631226.png
New Zealand will then play three ODIs and three T20Is between July 10 and 22, with the ODIs held at Malahide and the T20I leg of the tour at Stormont.

Dick Rockett

I would love to have a look at NZC's finances and find out why it costs them half a million or whatever it is to host a Test match, as well as what amount of revenue they're able to generate of it.
My theory is that when NZC says that hosting a test loses them x number of dollars, they are totaling the associated costs in their budget for that test, e.g. venue hire, staffing, advertising, corporate entertainment, etc. *before* it has taken place.

I think that they are not counting broadcasting or sponsorship revenue as income for that test because technically it covers all matches to which they have sold the rights. I also suspect that they are not counting gate receipts because more than once they've declared in the media that a modest 5-6k crowd has covered their costs for that day.

I believe that they do this deliberately because they are trying to talk tests (and ODIs) out of existence. Like every contemporary sporting body they have been captured by a business mindset that is only interested in profit. It's not that tests cost them money in a literal sense, it's that a bunch of T20s would make them much more.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I believe that they do this deliberately because they are trying to talk tests (and ODIs) out of existence. Like every contemporary sporting body they have been captured by a business mindset that is only interested in profit. It's not that tests cost them money in a literal sense, it's that a bunch of T20s would make them much more.
This, if true, is horrific.

Bahseph

International Debutant
Late to the party but well done to SA. Some real fight to turn that around. Really wish they wouldn't start so slowly though!