• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in India

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think it'll be a draw. The curator says it'll be a 'sporting' pitch. And of course, in the Indian curators' dictionary, a sporting pitch refers to a tarmac that'll have the bowlers tearing their hair out in frustration. That word has got to be the biggest copout for a curator who has no idea whether he's watered his pitch enough.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Wow, what a thrashing that was. Bowlers like Steyn can really take the playing conditions out of the picture. Still believe India is good enough but am worried about our bowling. Need an overseas series to truly judge them.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I would expect Smith to play in this test despite that Injury.

TBH, Steyn really took the pitch out of the equation in the first test...if he is up for it again....would be a very interesting test, as India absolutely has to win this one to square up the series so expect a good fight back from them as well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it'll be a draw. The curator says it'll be a 'sporting' pitch. And of course, in the Indian curators' dictionary, a sporting pitch refers to a tarmac that'll have the bowlers tearing their hair out in frustration. That word has got to be the biggest copout for a curator who has no idea whether he's watered his pitch enough.
Yeah, but in the Indian cricket-watching dictionary, "the curator says," often translates as "when pigs fly,".

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think that's true really - what makes you say that? I can't think of similar situations where it was - especially not at Eden Gardens. Internal BCCI politics must always be kept in mind - remember the 2004 Test against Australia which they won? There was a dispute between the BCCI and the ground, and the keeper prepared a seaming track on purpose to spite them. If you forgot, that's the ground Ganguly pulled out due to a hissy fit at the last second before the toss....

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It won't be a draw. Eden tests usually have good cricket wickets which don't end in draws historically and both teams have a fair few decent bowlers though India is obviously poorer in that department.

HMas

U19 12th Man
Smith will be fine and Inshallah kick the undeserving # 1 team from the top spot...I will pray for him tonight.

L Trumper

State Regular
Haha. Aright, can you tell me the difference between a pitch that is 'too bowler friendly' and an 'unfit' test pitch?
A bowler friendly pitch is where ball does a lot whether seam , spin or bounce and bowlers have an idea of how the ball behaves if they pitch it in a particular area. As long as bowler knows how ball behaves depends on where it pitches , batsman with a bit of patience can understand it.

An unfit pitch is where even bowler don't have an idea how is ball behaving. Then batsmen have know clue of is ball going to be. In pitches with cracks in it some may shoot at ankle high, while some take your heads off with barley pitched apart.

ret

International Debutant
Let's talk abt the guys that are likely to play (whether we want some of them to play is a different issue):

Batsmen + WK: Sehwag, Gambhir, Laxman, Tendulkar and Dhoni
Bowlers: Zak, Sree and Bhajji

This leaves 3 slots open, so would you play:
A: 2 bowlers + 1 batman (considering it's a must win game for Ind)
B: 1 bowler + 2 batsmen

If A, then which batsman would you pick from: Vijay, Badri, Raina and Karthik
If B, then which bowler would you pick from: Ishant or Mishy or Ojha

Cruxdude

International Debutant
It is sad that Raina seems to be so close to the test team without being able to look even remotely comfortable facing a ball above his hips.