• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Watch Nasser's 3rd man thing...
It is an interesting point. I think the key is not that the front arm falls away, but that he lets it drag his hip to face the leg side at delivery. Also, something which Hussain didn't pick up was that Broad's eyes are shut at delivery but Flintoff's are open and on the target.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is an interesting point. I think the key is not that the front arm falls away, but that he lets it drag his hip to face the leg side at delivery. Also, something which Hussain didn't pick up was that Broad's eyes are shut at delivery but Flintoff's are open and on the target.
Haha I didn't notice that either. Does Broad do that always? I was just watching the body not the face.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He has not earned the right to bowl at these guys. Jimmy must be sick.
Pretty sure Anderson would be happy enough that his team is in a good position and he's bowled well rather then getting any personal glory.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha I didn't notice that either. Does Broad do that always? I was just watching the body not the face.
Not sure if he does it always, but certainly were over 90% closed at point of delivery. The similarity between the two is that they keep their back legs on the floor (naturally, delivering the ball on two legs is more powerful than on one leg) throughout the action, dragging them to create good strength through the hips. This probably gives them the pace and lift that both get.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This post is all over the place, much like Broad's bowling.

Watch Nasser's 3rd man thing...
It is an interesting point. I think the key is not that the front arm falls away, but that he lets it drag his hip to face the leg side at delivery.
Nothing that hasnt been noticed for a while. THis post was certainly no where near the first time I brought the point up.

I still do not like the front arm. I comes down in an arc rarther than in a sharp straight line. You just feel there is an extra yard of pace and better accuracy if he pulled the arm bown in the direction the ball was going. Id not noticed before, but there were some really good shots of his feet when they were seeing if he was running on the wicket. His left foot is in a great position for generating pace. Its not the best for long term injury prevention but he has good front foot (ie pointing to 2nd slip) to bring the hips through.

I really want Broad to succeed. He is young and had natural physical gifts that are hard to replicate. IMO, he just has to sort that kink in the action out and get a few more domestic wickets.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA, naturally but can't say I'd seen that post before, or if I had, I've forgotten - but seriously...

I really want Broad to succeed?!?!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh yeah, definately. I just distinctly don't want him to succeed; just dislike him for some reason - but I guess, that being an England fan, you'll want what is best for the team.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
UIMM Anderson's head points down at the ground at the point of delivery. A(a)qib Javed was the same. God only knows where Paul Adams' head was facing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
UIMM Anderson's head points down at the ground at the point of delivery.
True and something which I have thought of. It must be appreciated that Anderson has had to bowl countless overs in all forms of cricket before becoming the accurate Test bowler that he is now and he had far more pace, swing and variety to fall back on to stay in high level competition while he does that while Broad does not.