• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
this is annoying stuff really. harris hasnt played a single confident shot all morning and hes still out there
Indeed, but thats cricket. If it was boxing bout, Harris would have been knocked out first few seconds of the first round :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Thank god someone in the England setup realizes that form in the nets is absolute 'balderdash'
Quite. It's a shame it isn't the coach tho, who quickly resorts to management-speak cant when things go against him. Moores defended the recall of Collingwood because he'd been, "playing pretty well in practice." (link)

Nice to see Flower going off message. Team England are living in a bubble of denial just now which desperately needs to be pricked.

Good on Strauss for admitting he wasn't sure. Really impressed.
Yeah, fair play to him & McKenzie who took the catcher's word for it. Nice to see. :)

Zinzan

That's not conclusive though - it could have been bouncing up off his fingertips or off the ground. I can't tell either way.

I thought Strauss did claim it though
On reflection, you may well be right, still benefit of the doubt to the batsman for mine

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Heh, loving this. SA have been on the recieving end of nuggety tail-enders/night-watchmen on many an occasion, nice to be on the other end for once.

Over 60 runs added with the nightwatchman in, McKensie getting tons of strike so if he can settle in for the long haul, he could really grind England down.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Heh, loving this. SA have been on the recieving end of nuggety tail-enders/night-watchmen on many an occasion, nice to be on the other end for once.
You don't remember Claude Henderson at Adelaide in 2001/02?

Worse (from an England POV), Paul Adams at Newlands in 1995/96?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
thats always going to happen when its referred to the 3rd umpire.
The answer is not to give the batsman the benefit of the doubt on 3rd umpire replays - if the 3rd umpire thinks it's more likely that the ball was cleanly taken than grounded, then it should be out.

However even with that system I think McKenzie would have been given not out.

tooextracool

International Coach
Extremely poor bowling. You'd not think it'd be that tricky to bowl full and straight at tailenders.
yep, theres been 2 yorkers bowled this morning, both to mckenzie. theres no point trying to get harris' outside edge on this wicket, its too slow to carry to slips

Zinzan

Over 60 runs added with the nightwatchman in, McKensie getting tons of strike so if he can settle in for the long haul, he could really grind England down.
Yup, If only NZ had a McKenzie right now. Reminds me of a right-handed Mark Richardson tbh. Has good powers of concentration, knows where his off-stump is and generally plays with soft-hands. Only a much more naturally talented stroke-player than Richardson was.

tooextracool

International Coach
seriously is it that hard to bowl on the stumps? harris isnt going to edge this stuff, hes not good enough, and if he does it probably wont carry anyways