• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Stapel

International Regular
I think the bowling line-up is okay for now, with Sidebottom, Flintoff, Anderson, Harmison, Jones, Hoggard and Panesar to choose from, however I think the batting needs to be sorted by blooding some good county performers.

This would be my top 7 in the next test

1. Andrew Strauss
2. Paul Horton
3. Stephen Moore
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Owais Shah
6. Matt Prior
7. Tim Ambrose

……lol, just joking by naming a side where not a single batsman is born in England…In reality, Cook and Bell would of course replace Moore and Prior :laugh:
Prior & Ambrose????

And why should Belly be left out?

Steulen

International Regular
Anyway...time for Day 2 of Apocalypse Now.

Anticipating a quick wicket to get rid of Harris followed by a dour period of play with McKenzie and Amla in. Flintoff to break the partnership and then Kallis to ton up just before the close. Saffies 300ish/4 at the end.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the rain is getting steadily heavier at Edgbaston. Right before bloody play is due to start too. 8-)

Not sure how much play we're going to see today TBH.

tooextracool

International Coach
I don't think Pieterson deserves that. It was not that good of a delivery, KP picked it and was going to whip it off his pads for four. He just hit his pad with his bat, and couldn't hit the ball in time.
It was a good delivery to get early on. Swung a fair bit. I am not justifying his dismissal because I firmly believe that if you are the amongst the top 6 batsmen in England then you should be able to play good deliveries, but it doesnt change the fact that it was a good delivery. Probably the best delivery that took a wicket yesterday.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Evening Gents. Looking like ideal conditions for England bowlers to exploit this morning. With Smith already back in the hut, I don't think an England 1st innings lead is inconceivable by any means.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed, always liked Andy Flower.

IMO it's folly, when looking at why England are doing badly in this series, to look much further than the fact that SA are just a better side, particularly at batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thank god someone in the England setup realizes that form in the nets is absolute 'balderdash'
Indeed, always liked Andy Flower.
Ditto.
IMO it's folly, when looking at why England are doing badly in this series, to look much further than the fact that SA are just a better side, particularly at batting.
That's no excuse for the fact that several England batsmen have been poor.

Interestingly, Flintoff to open up. He's the best bowler, but you want someone who can swing it today. Hopefully he will.

And 1st ball, he does. Good. Keep it up!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup, I enjoyed Nassar's comment about Gooch and he always looked rubbish in the nets and would then get a hundred
Honestly, some people's ability to spell the simple name Nasser Hussain as Nassar Hussein is ridiculous.

Looks like rain isn't far away again BTW. 8-)