• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

Stapel

International Regular
Well, many say Jones might not be able to bowl long test spells. That's a fair arguement, I guess.

About Hoggard: I thought it was silly to drop him in New Zealand. I guess all agreed it was time for Harmison to go, but Hoggard? Nah. It totally bugs me why he wasn't called to replace Sidebottom last test. But I can see why he isn't picked now. Sidebottom is back and England need extra pace (at least that's what I understand).

An who knows. I think Harmison can be one of the most dangerous bowlers in the world, when he gets things right. Off coure, Harmison has proven to be unreliable in getting things right. But that's where good coaching and captaincy comes in. Not all players have the ability to get things right by theirselves, and Harmison seems to be a good example.
Anyway, it's unlikely he will play.

Having thought it over, I would send these men in:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Broad
Ambrose (or ????)
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Someone tell me why people keep leaving Anderson out of the side. He has 33 @ 27 in 2008, and 25 at under 25 this home summer. Leaving him out would be a joke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I havent gone through what people here think on bringing back haramison but i do believe that his comeback is gona be good. I know 100% that he still has got the capability to get wickets with those amazing deliveries that he bowls. I became a fan of his after watching him in the 2005 ashes.
What a strange time to become a fan. :huh:

Steulen

International Regular
Someone tell me why people keep leaving Anderson out of the side. He has 33 @ 27 in 2008, and 25 at under 25 this home summer. Leaving him out would be a joke.
I have never rated Anderson and I'm still not convinced he's genuine Test class, but nevertheless: completely AWTA.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think there's lots of CW posters in that precise boat.

Many, many of us have been entirely unconvinced of Anderson for most if not all of his career, but while someone bowls as well as he mostly has this summer they earn their right to maintain a place.

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson doesn't deserve to be dropped. I'm no expert but imo the selectors need to be mindful however, that he is a mini Harmison in some ways. That head position needs to be pinpoint for his accuracy to be good, just like Harmison has a tendency to have his bowling technique become a shambles. Both in the same team on a bad day....I'll leave it to your imaginations....

Steulen

International Regular
I think there's lots of CW posters in that precise boat.

Many, many of us have been entirely unconvinced of Anderson for most if not all of his career, but while someone bowls as well as he mostly has this summer they earn their right to maintain a place.
I guess it's mainly to do with the fact that he has always been able to bowl excellent balls, and excellent spells even, while being completely rubbish at other times.

So far this year he's just not been rubbish.

But I guess for those of us who have seen him play before that it is close to inconceivable he has really managed to cut out the poor periods. So whenever I see him coming on I still expect him to be rubbish, frankly. And he keeps on proving me wrong :).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I've said it a couple of times in this thread, the big difference with Anderson this summer is that when he hasn't been taking wickets he's been keeping it tight (ie like Flintoff a lot of the time). I can only remember him going round the park once in Tests this summer, at OT. I can forgive one bad innings every six or seven matches tbh, if the others are good.

Steulen

International Regular
Anderson doesn't deserve to be dropped. I'm no expert but imo the selectors need to be mindful however, that he is a mini Harmison in some ways. That head position needs to be pinpoint for his accuracy to be good, just like Harmison has a tendency to have his bowling technique become a shambles. Both in the same team on a bad day....I'll leave it to your imaginations....
He does a funny thing with his head actually. At the moment of release, he faces down, and then immediately afterrelease, he raises his head again to look at the batsman. It works for him, but with very little tolerance I'd say...things could go wrong quickly.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
Having thought it over, I would send these men in:
Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Broad
Ambrose (or ????)
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar
Broad at 6? I would not have much confidence if England were 4/80. Looked more like a bowler having a slog with no pressure to me when he was batting. Don't really think it is a good idea to have two allrounders in the team anyway. Put Flintoff at 6/7, drop broad and bring in a guy who can take wickets, cause thats what wins you matches.

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan (needs some runs)
Pieterson
Bell
Flintoff
Ambrose
Anderson
Sidebottom
Harmison
Panesar

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's what I probably would have plumped for, in the end. One would feel Collingwood would be asked to get through a fair few overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Side announced.

Colly and Sidebottom in for Broad and Pattinson.
Indeed. Excellent, just what I'd hoped would happen.

If England want to level the series, the pitch needs to offer movement off the seam. That'll also suit Nel, Ntini and Morkel of course. I really hope we get such a pitch, it should be perfect for these bowling-attacks.

BTW, :laugh: at the BCC's reporting there.
Collingwood comes in to replace Broad, who has been suffering with fatigue.
People just don't want to admit "Broad has never looked like taking Test wickets" do they?

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
I can't help finding this selection a little baffling. What happened in the selection meeting?:

Vaughan - "Right boys, we havn't taken 20 wickets in a match yet this series. We obviously have sidebottom back so pattinson can go tile his roof again. What do we think?"

Giles - "We obviously lack in the bowling department, I have an idea. Call me crazy but what if we drop a bowler?"

All selectors - "Brilliant...."

Vaughan - "Pub anyone?"

I know the pitch ain't geared for pace bowlers but what is Collingwood actually going to do?