• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't rate Duminy as a test batsman yet.. I'd have him in the ODI side though..

Would far rather see Puttick playing test cricket

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not just about judgement though. There's so much more to batting in test cricket than just playing every ball on it's merits. Watching Johnson on TV is not enough to know just how hard a bowler he is to face (or seems to be, I've not faced him obviously).

Incidently, I think Midge would be even more dangerous as a bowler if he had someone extremely economical at the other end (a McGrath, perhaps). The way he just keeps putting them in a tempting region, with both him and the batsman knowing that if he eventually plays one he's likely to edge it due to the way he delivers the ball and the bounce he gets would be even more amplified if the other end wasn't giving it away as easy as Lara Bingle. The batsman would feel even more pressured to score from him than usual, and would edge one soon enough.
God I'm so glad that's not the case. Could you imagine if McGrath was still in the side and Midge took more wickets? "Johnson only gets wickets due to the tight bowling at the other end, they're really McGs wickets."

This is why facing lefties can be so difficult and so easy at the same time. A leftie like Johnson is right in the eye's blindspot when he lets go of the ball. It's tough because of that and easier because if he drops short and wide, the cut is on. His slippery bowling does mitigate against that sometimes but still, the fact he's not moving the ball much in the air really doesn't matter that much and it's better if he just doesn't try.

Fact is, as you said, facing a bloke in your blindspot at 145km/h who also gets plenty of bounce, geez, that's a tough combination to be at the business-end of.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hingeh getting trolled by Johnson's figures aws.

In other news, Midgeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Worst person for mine.. I'd have that Krezja around for dinner though..

8-51 though, I reckon the South Africans should have their passports confiscated until they learn how to play in Australia