• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Semi Final 2 - Pakistan v India

Who will win this match?

• Total voters

Bun

Banned
You won't find many in the dressing room blaming Misbah. From what it looks, it probably was the part of the strategy for Misbah to stay till the end and let others hit . At one point when Akmal and Misbah were batting, it was working perfectly

It was working perfectly until Afridi got out. So may be Misbah played 10-15 balls more than he should have, but let's not forget that Razzaq and Afridi did not do what they were supposed to according to the team plan. If Pakistan did not win it was not because of Misbah but because others around him did not stay long enough and do their jobs.
Misbah was too slow even for that. One would expect an anchor to atleast turn the strike around. Misbah was just standing there and dead batting delivery after delivery. He really started plonking only after the match was beyond salvage.

Bun

Banned
Indeed, was dire. Not sure that Munaf clocked 140kph more than twice, but was in the high 130s kph area more often than not. I remain convinced that this is the strength and fitness that he has got from playing a Ranji Trophy season and getting overs under his belt. Think he only played four or five matches FC matches but he got the overs under the belt and the difference in his fitness is significant.

I believe he still has the untapped potential to bowl fast, he just needs to be in better condition. When you compare his follow through to the follow through of Mcgrath at his age, there is no comparison. Mcgrath drove through the crease whereas Munaf often tamely puts the ball on a spot and this, imo, is why Mcgrath was often clocked at 140kph in his younger days whereas it is a rarity for Munaf. If anything, imo, Munaf has more innate potential to bowl quickly - just needs to drive through more with the non bowling arm. I do not buy it for Ishant Sharma or Irfan Pathan and other Indians who have lost their pace, but he genuinely seems to be one who bowls slower so he can bowl more accurately. I recall reading that it was Greg Chappell who told him he did not have the body to be a 145kph bowler and it is from that point that he stopped running in as quickly and become more line and length orientated.

Not that I'm complaining, he won us the game today. I just believe that he should be able to adapt his style for conditions where he does need to bowl more quickly and perhaps less metronomically.
Munaf's body language was refreshing... he was attacking the ball even while fielding!! Although he still managed to give the twos away, they had to be earned than strolled.

Borges

International Regular
Indeed, was dire. Not sure that Munaf clocked 140kph more than twice, but was in the high 130s kph area more often than not. I remain convinced that this is the strength and fitness that he has got from playing a Ranji Trophy season and getting overs under his belt. Think he only played four or five matches FC matches but he got the overs under the belt and the difference in his fitness is significant.
Yup, you can say that again; and it is not just the fitness - playing the Ranji has made him a better bowler with a few more variations in his arsenal. I can think of a few others - Harbhajan or Chawla for instance - who would benefit immensely if they played some FC cricket (in India).

If Munaf can keep this up, it would be very heartening for India for the more important form of the game - test matches.

Borges

International Regular
As a result of this good performance by Pakistan in the world cup, do you think Pakistani players should be allowed to play in the IPL?
Pakistani players should always have been playing in the IPL; it didn't need the good performance in the world cup to prove that. They ought to be there on cricketing merit alone. It would also make excellent commercial sense - they have a huge fan following and would be among the most popular of overseas players.

Teja.

Global Moderator

I believe he still has the untapped potential to bowl fast, he just needs to be in better condition. When you compare his follow through to the follow through of Mcgrath at his age, there is no comparison. Mcgrath drove through the crease whereas Munaf often tamely puts the ball on a spot and this, imo, is why Mcgrath was often clocked at 140kph in his younger days whereas it is a rarity for Munaf. If anything, imo, Munaf has more innate potential to bowl quickly - just needs to drive through more with the non bowling arm. I do not buy it for Ishant Sharma or Irfan Pathan and other Indians who have lost their pace, but he genuinely seems to be one who bowls slower so he can bowl more accurately. I recall reading that it was Greg Chappell who told him he did not have the body to be a 145kph bowler and it is from that point that he stopped running in as quickly and become more line and length orientated.

Not that I'm complaining, he won us the game today. I just believe that he should be able to adapt his style for conditions where he does need to bowl more quickly and perhaps less metronomically.
Yeah agreed, A Ranji season definitely helped. I've given up on the speed-hungry BCCI ever giving a proper chance to Praveen Kumar. Hope Munaf gets a chance instead of Ishant in the tests and by that I mean a proper chance not one match on a ridiculously flat pitch against the WI and removal if he fails. We have far more to work with in Munaf than in Ishant IMO. Since the BCCI is intent on only picking 135kph+ bowlers, Let's atleast pick decent ones.

Greg has always been a huge joke re coaching fast bowlers. He told a 16 year old Chahar that he had no future in cricket. 8-) . Glad that he's been proven wrong already by Chahar's FC exploits.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Praveen deserves to play over Ishant and Sree for the last two years by a good margin. It's just that the BCCI follow

1. Don't change a winning team, regardless of how ****ty some of it's components are.

2. We'll pick a completely crappy outrageously inconsistent 140kph bowler than a 125kph bowler who has done well consistently in FC cricket and actually has earned his place.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Agree with Jono,Umer Akmal seems like the next Yuvi rather then the next Inzi that all Pakistan fans think off him.Also disappointed with Kohli always seems lost in a pressure game though both are still young.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
But the lemon should go to Mark Nicholas, when Misbah hit his 2nd four in 60 deliveries, the guy had the charm to shout "This is such a fantaboulous innings by Misbah" :laugh:
Yeah. I think Manjeraker also switched sides on that (?). It's hilarious. During this world cup, I have generally come to give less credence to "expert" comments/opinions.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Misbah was too slow even for that. One would expect an anchor to atleast turn the strike around. Misbah was just standing there and dead batting delivery after delivery. He really started plonking only after the match was beyond salvage.
At the end of Over 36 when Razzaq was still there, Misbah had scored 11 of 33. Since then he score better than Run a ball. If Afridi or Razzaq could stay couple of more overs, the game could have been different. Unfortunately none of them did.

Isura

U19 Captain
Praveen deserves to play over Ishant and Sree for the last two years by a good margin. It's just that the BCCI follow

1. Don't change a winning team, regardless of how ****ty some of it's components are.

2. We'll pick a completely crappy outrageously inconsistent 140kph bowler than a 125kph bowler who has done well consistently in FC cricket and actually has earned his place.
Ya, this I don't quite understand. Parveen is quite handy with the bat too, a huge upgrade from Bajji at #8

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi folks,

Irish Cricket fan here.

I watched most of the game today and really enjoyed it.

What's everyone's thoughts on the batting? Tendulkar looked spooked half way through the innings and seemed unable to pick Ajmal.....

Meanwhile the rest of the players (save Sehwag!!) all struggled on what the commentators kept telling us was a good pitch.

Was it all due to pressure or was the pitch perhaps a lot tougher than thought and the 85 a really good battling innings???
Yea exactly what it seemed like. Started off well but from ajmal's first over onwards his confidence level kept falling down. It was as if each play and miss, drop catch etc was hurting him mentally. Most batsmen would look to make the most of their reprieve/s but he appeared to be reluctant to bat with any intent...Easily his worst innings in the last few years.

Last edited: