• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Whats the forecast for tomorrow? We saw a bit of swing with the new ball today so the first hour is gonna be proper crucial. Think Swann and Broad might have to make some runs to get us a decent score,

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Think Australias best pace attack for this game would have been Hilfenhaus, Harris, Bollinger. Reckon Hilf would have been a handful with the new ball, not sure on whether Siddle will go well here

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think Australias best pace attack for this game would have been Hilfenhaus, Harris, Bollinger. Reckon Hilf would have been a handful with the new ball, not sure on whether Siddle will go well here
tbf that's what everyone said last week. I don't blame them for dropping Hilf, especially if he's unfit.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia's attack looks pretty good, but I honestly think this is a 450+ pitch and England made it look like there was "always something there for the bowlers" with a seriously awesome all-round performance. Australia's best bet is to get England out for 350-400 (which will take some very, very good bowling), bat England into the ground in the second innings and hope the pitch breaks up badly late on. There can be a very distinct difference between a day four Adelaide pitch and a day five one.

It's a bit of a straw-clutch after being schooled so badly though.

Last edited:

vcs

Australia are going to have to work hard to pull this one out of the fire. Swann could come into play in a big way in their second innings if England bat out the better part of day 2 and 3. Then again, this pitch could behave just like the Brisbane highway, but it will still take a big effort.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Australia's attack looks pretty good, but I honestly think this is a 450+ pitch and England made it look like there was "always something there for the bowlers" with a seriously awesome all-round performance. Australia's best bet is to get England out for 350-400 (which will take some very, very good bowling), bat England into the ground in the second innings and hope the pitch breaks up badly late on. There can be a very distinct difference between a day four Adelaide pitch and a day five one.

It's a bit of a straw-clutch after being schooled so badly though.
I would be overly pessimistic. This is England we're talking about. :dry:

I'd say 350-400 would be about par, not the best Aus can hope for. Cook and Trott aren't likely to ton up again straight away and England's middle order can be very shaky. England should get 400, but anything can still happen.

Uppercut

I would be overly pessimistic. This is England we're talking about. :dry:

I'd say 350-400 would be about par, not the best Aus can hope for. Cook and Trott aren't likely to ton up again straight away and England's middle order can be very shaky. England should get 400, but anything can still happen.
:huh: Why not?

I don't have too much faith in England's batting lineup but this pitch is flaaaat. I watched the whole day, there's nothing happening out there at all. To get Australia 250ao England had to bowl top-class lines and lengths for 90 overs, field like demons all day and enjoy a pretty decent slice of luck.

pasag

RTDAS
:huh: Why not?

I don't have too much faith in England's batting lineup but this pitch is flaaaat. I watched the whole day, there's nothing happening out there at all. To get Australia 250ao England had to bowl top-class lines and lengths for 90 overs, field like demons all day and enjoy a pretty decent slice of luck.
Who bowled top-class lines and lengths all day aside from Jimmeh?

Uppercut

Who bowled top-class lines and lengths all day aside from Jimmeh?
Hmm, Swann and Broad bowled very, very few poor deliveries. Top-class lines and lengths if not top-class bowling. Their tactics alone tell you how flat the pitch is, even at 100/4 it was a case of keeping up the pressure and hoping for the batsman to make a mistake rather than really attacking.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Hmm, Swann and Broad bowled very, very few poor deliveries. Top-class lines and lengths if not top-class bowling. Their tactics alone tell you how flat the pitch is, even at 100/4 it was a case of keeping up the pressure and hoping for the batsman to make a mistake rather than really attacking.
The commentators on Nine expressed some surprise about how they thought that there should have been more slips at certain stages when the Poms were on top, but in the end you'd have to say that the English got their fields right. Not many balls went through the slip area, or many boundaries down towards third man.

Howe_zat

Audio File
AWTA, Broad and Swann were tight and were supported by good fielding. Finn was disappointing in the morning session.

There were never any demons in the pitch, the Aussies lost maybe 4 wickets to top deliveries, while Watson, North and Haddin were pressured into rash shots. (And Katto just chucked it away)

Very effective tactics by England, Flower really knows what he's doing.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
OK, Day 1 down. 1/4 of the job done. Big day tomorrow and you cant judge the track or the 1st innings until both have batted.