• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because Broad only bowled one ball to Ponting in that spell...
And he was beating the outside-edge with outswingers then sent in a massive inducker?

No, he just bowled some harmless stuff and then bowled a pretty bad ball outside off that kept a bit low.

Simple as that.

I know people will scrabble around for anything they can possibly find to give credit to a bowler for any form of wicket, but really, Broad did not-much right there.

Yes, I have indeed credited him, for those who don't want to refuse to accept it, on the relatively few occasions he's got a wicket with decent bowling.

.matt

School Boy/Girl Captain
How would playing a big knock here prove anything about one's ability to perform at particularly crucial times? Australia are dead and buried, they need a miracle (including a lot of rain) to save 'em here.

Looks like the Ponting wicket was caused by uneven bounce actually.
Yeah it kept really low, the better option probably would have been to try pull out of the shot but you dont get a lot of time to make these split decisions. Tried to cut down on the ball and got that inside edge.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeez, Statham took 20 tests to get to 50 wickets. Broad takes 19 tests. There may be hope for Broad yet...
Statham also bowled infinitely more accurately all career than Broad is ever likely to. And indeed more accurately than almost anyone ever will.

tooextracool

International Coach
If Harmison had bowled that ball you'd be creaming.
Doubt it. Considering, I have gone on record here saying that Harmison has bowled the worst spell in my time watching (17 odd years ) by any fast bowler at Brisbane in 2006/07, I doubt I would be generous to him for bowling the kind of tripe that Broad has served up this series. You would have to have some serious Broad obsession if you honestly think that Broad has bowled anything above absolute rubbish before this spell in this series.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't recall TEC ever being a particularly huge Harmison fan tbh. Simon Jones is more his style.
As far as I'm aware he was in favour of dropping Broad for Harmison for this test. Three wickets with back-of-a-length Harmisonesque balls and he gets none of the credit Harmison would have got.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
How would playing a big knock here prove anything about one's ability to perform at particularly crucial times? Australia are dead and buried, they need a miracle (including a lot of rain) to save 'em here.

Looks like the Ponting wicket was caused by uneven bounce actually.
I think it says alot about a players character and ability to stand up in situations like this. I would expect a future australian captian to stand up at a time like this when all does look lost.

JBH001

International Regular
I'd hate to see a batsman hit a ball hard straight back at Jimmy. Dont know if he would pick it up in time to get out of the way.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
As far as I'm aware he was in favour of dropping Broad for Harmison for this test. Three wickets with back-of-a-length Harmisonesque balls and he gets none of the credit Harmison would have got.
Honestly, I was too, and I've never been a fan of Harmison at all, even when he was flavour of the month back in '04 or so. You don't have to "cream" at back of a length bowling taking wickets to think Harmison's both in better form and a more accomplished bowler than Broad, just seems like common sense to me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I'd not have given any bowler credit for any of the three. Two with harmless short balls that could be easily ducked or probably would be easily pulled in decent light, and one wide-ish one that kept a bit low.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt it. Considering, I have gone on record here saying that Harmison has bowled the worst spell in my time watching (17 odd years ) by any fast bowler at Brisbane in 2006/07, I doubt I would be generous to him for bowling the kind of tripe that Broad has served up this series. You would have to have some serious Broad obsession if you honestly think that Broad has bowled anything above absolute rubbish before this spell in this series.
Bowled absolute ****e at Cardiff, and bowled one bad spell and one good spell in Aussie's first innings. But it's the only time I've seen him bowl badly since the second day of the first test in the West Indies. Before then, I was his biggest critic. Seriously, absolutely despised the guy and the fact that he kept getting selected.

He's a good bowler now though. Massively improved.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it says alot about a players character and ability to stand up in situations like this. I would expect a future australian captian to stand up at a time like this when all does look lost.
In short, at any given time scoring runs > not scoring runs.

However, any runs any Australian batsman scores here will lessen the margin of defeat and no more than that.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised to hear that Punter has never passed 50 at Lord's before. Doubt he will get another chance to amend that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's a good bowler now though. Massively improved.
Except when he bowled an absolute heap of crap in the First Test and the first-innings of this one. Granted, he's bowled OK-ish so far this innings - in his whole 4(?) overs. Really, that's no great feat.

Broad bowled exactly the same in West Indies as he has so far this series. West Indies just managed to play it sufficiently badly to allow it OK-ish figures. His improvement is exaggerated.

Last edited: