• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
PS - I agree that our batsmen need to show some ticker though. Where's JL when you need him?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking for myself, the bowlers deserve to be targetted. We have a strong batting line up and it's normal for 1 or 2 of the group to fail. Hughes may appear to have weaknesses but he is young and we can afford to carry him. Even Hussey managed a half century this time around. We aren't all that accustomed to batting under pressure but hopefully will learn. There is enough experience to help the inexperienced there.

The problem lies in a bowling attack that can't bowl the opposition out twice. It was there in the last test and is visible again now. (IMO this has been coming since the 2005 series since we didnt' have depth in our bowling even then but I digress...). We are missing the experience of Lee and Clark - one wonders at the mindset of the selectors in leaving Clark out given the injury to Lee. Ponting's captaincy can also be faulted here. It has been clear for some time that Johnson struggles to control the new ball - so why open with him? Why not combine the cleverness and line and length of Hilfy with the aggression of Siddle, then bring on Johnson when the shine is off the ball?

I like Siddle. He reminds me of Merv Hughes. Bowls with aggression and has heart. He will keep running in all day if asked (anyone remember Hughes on one knee in the 1993 Ashes series?). Hilfy has earned his spot for at least the remaineder of this series. He has bowled with intelligence - line, length, swing at times. I think most of us agree that Hauritz is pretty ordinary but we need a spinner so he's not likely to get dropped any time soon.

So what to do? Replace Siddle or Johnson with Lee (if fit) or Clark? Or drop Hussey (which I can't see happening), move Clarke and North up, and bring in Watson? I prefer the former.
No real dispute that the bowling hasn't quite been there in this Test. They deserve some emnity for conceding 450, sure. But, for me, the batting is a far, far larger problem.

What to do? Not sure yet. Will rest, for me, on what they do today and tomorrow.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So what would England prefer...a full days play under sunny skies, or 50 overs under overcast skies?
Surely 50 overs under overcast skies, because they'd still have 90 the next day. Probably don't deserve to win if they can't bowl Aus out before then.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Incidentally, who would you drop for Watto? If picked, he has to bat top 6 surely. I see no value in batting him below that.
Huss. It's harsh though. If they were seriously going to drop someone for Watto it'd probably be North just because of the experience, but North is in much better form than Huss.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huss. It's harsh though. If they were seriously going to drop someone for Watto it'd probably be North just because of the experience, but North is in much better form than Huss.
Yeah, think you're right.

D'ya reckon the selectors would be crazy enough to bat Watto at 7 and put Haddin up to 6 if they did that? I wouldn't put it past them....

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hussey > North.

North has made centuries in the first innings in both series but has gone missing after that.

Even today and tomorrow I am more confident that Hussey will outperform North with the bat.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Michael Clarke still reckons we can win. On the otherhand, is there any truth in the speculation that Flintoff is going to retire after this Test Match? They were discussing it on FoxSports before cutting to a commercial.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So take away a session for rain and we'll see if Australia can salvage a draw like England did.
Although I am an Australian supporter i believe England might take this one, unfortunately putting an end to the Aussies record.

With the momentum England is carrying with their high confidence levels i think they may have that extra spark to bowl australia over, hopefully not, as it should make for some exiting cricket if Australia can manage to hold them off.

Mat

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah England should be extremely disappointed if they don't win from here, and Australia should feel pretty sweet if they can get away with it.

JBH001

International Regular
Weather looking ok for the scheduled start?

I still think Strauss will bat on for a little while longer, especially if it looks clear.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jeez how dumb is Strauss? Why declare now and give the Aussies half an hour to prepare? Play isn't starting till 1115 so why not declare at five past? What benefit does annoucing it now have?