• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to 2022 World Cup

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
League 1 and 2 continuing is pretty dire. The three call up rule for postponements still applies. We lost two players for the last round of matches so had to play. Here if a team has three call ups they won't play at all during the tournament. If a team has two call ups they'll have an entire month without two of their best players. It's a lot less likely than during a normal international break, but it's not impossible that some of the smaller nations might have players from League 1 or 2 in their squad. Not sure whether players from countries eliminated at the group stage go straight back to their clubs.
Hopefully we'll get promoted this season and then I won't give a toss. :tooth:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As far as unacceptable things about this World Cup go, that's pretty low down on the list.
Well of course but just another little thing to add to the awfulness. You need that start late in the week so you get the glorious first weekend.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’m not sure how many fans from each country will attend the matches, but a car journey around all the stadiums covers only 43 miles.
I would imagine hooligans will be shot.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I know that their construction (allegedly anyway - heh) resulted in the death and absolutely dire treatment of loads of workers etc.

But the stadiums that have been built really do look spectacular.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
I’m not sure how many fans from each country will attend the matches, but a car journey around all the stadiums covers only 43 miles.
I would imagine hooligans will be shot.
The proximity of the stadiums to each other has been a weird selling point for this World Cup. There's plenty of talk about how it'll be possible to see multiple games in a day, and even easier to attend games one day after the other. But they're seemingly still going to maintain a cap on the amount of matches one person can purchase a ticket to attend. In 2014 it was a maximum of 10 games, and in 2018 it was 7. This time around it seems like it'll be 10 again, but it's all a bit ambiguously worded in the application process.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Probably among the weakest teams in pot 2, so it's a pretty friendly draw for England no matter what happens from here.

France-Denmark and Spain-Germany the rough ones so far.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
USA Vs Iran itstl

@Pothas and I used to regularly do this fixture on PES back in the day, dubbing it "the war on terror"
Think the Plucky Persians™ actually defeated the Great Satan™ in the 1998 WC.

Absolute creamy draw for Albion though, probably couldn't have gone better.

Tournament lacking a group of death™ is the real pity.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Absolute creamy draw for Albion though, probably couldn't have gone better.

Tournament lacking a group of death™ is the real pity.
England, USA, and the possibility of Scotland and Wales. Iran totally ain't gonna politicize this world cup.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, one of the all-time political matches. Up there with West Germany vs East Germany in 1974, I suppose. The thing I remember from 1998 is the Iranians' pre-match charm offensive. Rather better described at the time on Fantasy Football than I can manage here.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We’ve thought we’ve had easy groups before so take nothing to granted but let’s be honest, we’ll be able to field the reserves against whichever weakling we face in the third group game.
It’s coming home

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was chatting to a guy I know who did some NGO work on Qatar. He reckons the World Cup is being seen internally as a huge test for the West-friendly faction (I’d say liberals, but only by Qatari standards). A failure as a result of boycotts or negativity would be a win for the hardliners. It’s not the case that a unified regime is strategically using it to ‘sportswash’ human rights abuses, though that’s not to say they couldn’t leverage an improved reputation to get away with stuff later.

I dunno how much of that is true, but it fits my priors because well-meaning outsiders inadvertently side with arch-conservatives all the time.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
For some unknown reason talkSPORT had the idiot Carlton Palmer on as one of the “experts” after the draw. He did actually talk a modicum of sense, but I was surprised by his assertion that England fans loved him and he was never booed or ridiculed in the press. ?