• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hated the guy and took pleasure in him failing, but a champion batsmen nonetheless. Hope he signs off with a big one.

morgieb

Actually was pretty shocked when I saw a thread saying "Ponting retirement tributes". Probably chose the right time to go but it's still a shock.

Credit to such a long and distinguished career for Australian cricket.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Who replaces him for Sri Lanka? Bailey?
Bailey would seem the obvious one, considering they've been grooming him in the ODI team and T20 team as captain. I can't see it being anyone other than him, Khawaja or Hughes.

Personally wouldn't mind seeing Steven Smith get a go. Definitely has the potential to be a heavy scorer with that bat, plus a very handy spin option :ph34r:

Spikey

Bailey's going at about 25-30 this year so he'll be hard to pick. How much that is to do with Hobart I don't know, but it's hard to pick a guy on form like that. Steve Smith's in an odd slump where's he passing 50 no problems, but his previously brilliant conversion rate has all but gone out the window. Hasn't passed 100 since this time last year but he's made plenty of 50's. Anyway, he'll remain a fixture in the aus a side but I think would be far down the list

Cricket Records | Sheffield Shield, 2012/13 | Records | Most runs | ESPN Cricinfo

The problem: Haddin, Ponting and Henriques have got the best averages.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Weather's shaping up to be good for bowlers too. Siddle and Hilf to return from beyond the grave and kill each other again.

EDIT: No kidding, this, again, shows the **** of playing 3 Tests in 3 weeks. We, as spectators, are denied seeing the best XI in a game where the series is still alive.
Hilfenhaus isn't playing.

howardj

International Coach
What longevity:

He played:
- when Keating was PM
- pre internet
- pre mobile phone (not counting the huge bricks that were the go, back in 1995)

Spikey

oh look at all these hilf-haters now coming out of the woodwork. ffs. thanks for the support

#tastin

Ponting 4 batting coach btw

Last edited:

Burgey

What a ****ing champion Ponting is.

In terms of the modern greats, Lara was stunning when he got going, but Ponting was right up there.

I don't want to live in this world any more.
Don't let us stop you, ****...

Great player. Best Aussie batsman since G Chappell IMO, and by some margin. What a player. This really is the end of the great australian era - the last of the greats retires.

ProteasFan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
wonderfully talented player whom I hated as he always made scores against us. My lasting memory of him will be his brilliant knock in the World cup final against India in SA.

What an innings that was!

angad

U19 12th Man
My favourite Australian batsmen, I rate him above Lara next only to Tendulkar. Best overall fielder I have seen, very brave cricketer. Bye Ricky! :)