• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

indiaholic

International Captain
You know, people don't really think about it in these terms, but Ponting retires as indisputably the most successful cricket player in the history of the game. Quality.
I bet that has to be the single most satisfying statisitc for a cricketer.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
You know, people don't really think about it in these terms, but Ponting retires as indisputably the most successful cricket player in the history of the game. Quality.
yea

3 world cups
2 champions trophies
sustaining undisputed No.1 ranking for a long time
most test wins
series wins everywhere around the world
etc

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's so fantastic isn't it?

To see the back of the last remainder (I hope) of an arrogant generation of Aus cricketers who thought they were bigger then the game and the authority of the on field umpires. The rude generation where commentators recal having to mute the on filed mic(s) for sledging that was way to personal and below the belt. Glen Mcrath is one who must live with the memory Sammy insulting his deceased wife in defence to poor sportsmanship.

YouTube videos of Ponting rants and claiming grounded catches, not walking, etc. Can't be hidden and will show the other side of what could have been remembered as a fantastic batsman and good sportsman.

jboss

Banned
I presume you mean me? Sorry, but I stand firm behind sportmanship in sport. The India vs Aus (Buknor) series was a farce. As someone living with cancer, I wm 90% sure that Sammy would like to retract his statement on Mgrath's wife, but he can't. Hasrbajan "monkey" incident was over the top too and trust an Aus PM to bring politics into sport and accuse the number 1 eicket taker of chucking.

All I am trying to say is that cricket is tarnished by these acts. In a world where there is much moral decay, sport should be setting an example like the one exhibited today, but technology also captures incidents that can not be hidden.

I wasn't even watching cricket when the "underarm" incident occured, but I would certainly post the same type of comment in one relating to players involved. After all fans pay money in various forms that cover the pay for these players whcih effectively makes them employers. If an employee brought disgrace to their establishment they'd likely be fired.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I presume you mean me? Sorry, but I stand firm behind sportmanship in sport. The India vs Aus (Buknor) series was a farce. As someone living with cancer, I wm 90% sure that Sammy would like to retract his statement on Mgrath's wife, but he can't. Hasrbajan "monkey" incident was over the top too and trust an Aus PM to bring politics into sport and accuse the number 1 eicket taker of chucking.

All I am trying to say is that cricket is tarnished by these acts. In a world where there is much moral decay, sport should be setting an example like the one exhibited today, but technology also captures incidents that can not be hidden.

I wasn't even watching cricket when the "underarm" incident occured, but I would certainly post the same type of comment in one relating to players involved. After all fans pay money in various forms that cover the pay for these players whcih effectively makes them employers. If an employee brought disgrace to their establishment they'd likely be fired.
:laugh:

Just **** off to where you came from.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Take it to another thread. This is a tribute thread.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

**** off.

Spark

Global Moderator
Right-e-o, we've all made our point.

For the last time, if you don't have something nice to say, then keep your mouth shut. Already handed out three infractions today.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Just about the best batsman I've ever seen. It's hard to write nice things about him after all the misery he's inflicted on my team, but he was an absolutely brilliant player and a ruthlessly tough competitor.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just about the best batsman I've ever seen. It's hard to write nice things about him after all the misery he's inflicted on my team, but he was an absolutely brilliant player and a ruthlessly tough competitor.
Sums up my opinion. Brilliant, brilliant batsman. Infused a life into tests that never went away after a Ponting special. And yes, I don't think he has to apologize to anyone for being a ruthlessly tough competitor. As mentioned before here, the single most successful of the modern greats. And as a captain, he could not have done more to lead from the front.

EDIT: Don't agree with "Just about the best batsman I've ever seen". Everything else.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
I hated Ponting about 5-6 years ago when he was at his peak , putting tendulkar's hundred record in danger and wrongly percieved his every action as the work of the devil. Gradually i realised i misunderstood his determination and toughness.... yes he was a complete **** on many occasions but he gets way more hate than warranted. He played the game harder than most and put his all into everything he did on the pitch.

The fact that his final press conference almost moved me, a guy who once hated his guts, to tears, speaks volumes of his greatness. I consider him:

The second best batsman of the generation behind Tendulkar, and equal with Lara
The greatest fielder ive ever seen, by a distance... jonty can gagf....brilliant in the slips, at short leg, point, hit the stumps with ridiculous regularity...
The best puller ive ever seen
One of the most honest blokes to ever play cricket

I may not have loved the guy while he played but i certainly miss him now that he's gone. Thank you RTP

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Originally Posted by jboss
It's so fantastic isn't it?

To see the back of the last remainder (I hope) of an arrogant generation of Aus cricketers who thought they were bigger then the game and the authority of the on field umpires. The rude generation where commentators recal having to mute the on filed mic(s) for sledging that was way to personal and below the belt. Glen Mcrath is one who must live with the memory Sammy insulting his deceased wife in defence to poor sportsmanship.

YouTube videos of Ponting rants and claiming grounded catches, not walking, etc. Can't be hidden and will show the other side of what could have been remembered as a fantastic batsman and good sportsman.

Ultimate Academic Insult Classic Billy Madison - YouTube

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I see I have been handed an infraction for expressing an opinion... withu no prior history of having dissed Ponting, my opinion is regarded as trolling.

let me invite attention to a particular poster who cried murder in this thread

Murali retirement thread

So he's finally thrown in the towel, eh?

Ok ok, I'm out, I'm out.

Tatenda Taubu retirement thread

Only man to play international cricket without a head.
these totally inappropriate comments too were made in retirement threads.. but apparently Ponting being an Australian can't be criticized here it seems.

Last edited: