• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2017/18

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah that would be my first change. Don't think I've ever previously agreed with the concept of selecting an NZ batsman only overseas, like spinners are, but Latham is looking like the first.

Nicholls would stay, having done well recently, but if he struggles in future then Chapman probably, or maybe Bruce.
The concern with bringing the likes of Phillips and Chapman into the mix later in the year (if it does happen) is it gives them very little time to settle into the side before the world cup comes along. Among the older crowd Anderson could come back into consideration when fit, though he's been poor since the last World Cup.

This entire home season could be seen as the ideal time to give opportunities to a bunch of players before everything becomes a countdown to the world cup, so it's puzzling the selectors keep playing it safe. I mean if Ronchi hadn't retired we'd still be seeing him in the side in all probability.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah that would be my first change. Don't think I've ever previously agreed with the concept of selecting an NZ batsman only overseas, like spinners are, but Latham is looking like the first.

Nicholls would stay, having done well recently, but if he struggles in future then Chapman probably, or maybe Bruce.
The concern with bringing the likes of Phillips and Chapman into the mix later in the year (if it does happen) is it gives them very little time to settle into the side before the world cup comes along. Among the older crowd Anderson could come back into consideration when fit, though he's been poor since the last World Cup.

This entire home season could be seen as the ideal time to give opportunities to a bunch of players before everything becomes a countdown to the world cup, so it's puzzling the selectors keep playing it safe. I mean if Ronchi hadn't retired we'd still be seeing him in the side in all probability.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain

Yeah, Phillips and Chapman should have been brought into the squad for both series.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

You won't find any disagreement from me that NZ selectors have been too conservative, particularly in introducing promising hitters to the lower middle order where we've had a huge hole for quite a while.

Didn't actually realise next WC only 18 months away, or that it will be in England who somehow end up hosting about half the world's cricket tournaments.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You won't find any disagreement from me that NZ selectors have been too conservative, particularly in introducing promising hitters to the lower middle order where we've had a huge hole for quite a while.

Didn't actually realise next WC only 18 months away, or that it will be in England who somehow end up hosting about half the world's cricket tournaments.
A theory - these selectors think experience is the way forward after Grant Elliott's World Cup. It would explain the selection and continued faith in Neil Broom, and Kitchen over Chapman etc.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
A theory - these selectors think experience is the way forward after Grant Elliott's World Cup. It would explain the selection and continued faith in Neil Broom, and Kitchen over Chapman etc.
Yeah we discussed this a little while ago - also see success from other relatively experienced/older players like Raval, CDG and Munro. Meanwhile they've got the the pip with young talent after some non-successes in recent years.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah we discussed this a little while ago - also see success from other relatively experienced/older players like Raval, CDG and Munro. Meanwhile they've got the the pip with young talent after some non-successes in recent years.
Absolutely. And I read somewhere from Hesson that's it's a team first edict and they're not going to drop guys easily if they're attempting to play their role.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Why can't Henry bowl like this in tests? We need to get a hypnotist on the payroll to convince him that the opposition are always wearing coloured jerseys as he runs in to bowl.

vandem

International 12th Man
Excellent. This is the white ball Henry we saw back in 2014 and 2014-15, when he was taking the new ball for NZ A and NZ and winning games in England and UAE with early wickets.

His career suffered when Boult made the ODI side, and he was forced into the 3rd seamer bang-it-in-short role.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
None of those young talents who failed had excellent domestic records before they were picked though so it's weird to discount Chapman etc on the basis of neesham or Anderson

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
None of those young talents who failed had excellent domestic records before they were picked though so it's weird to discount Chapman etc on the basis of neesham or Anderson
Yeah agree it doesn't make sense. Santner and Sodhi two others to have been elevated to NZ level without much domestic cricket, and that's gone ok, though I guess spinners in NZ are a special case.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why can't Henry bowl like this in tests? We need to get a hypnotist on the payroll to convince him that the opposition are always wearing coloured jerseys as he runs in to bowl.
Excellent. This is the white ball Henry we saw back in 2014 and 2014-15, when he was taking the new ball for NZ A and NZ and winning games in England and UAE with early wickets.

His career suffered when Boult made the ODI side, and he was forced into the 3rd seamer bang-it-in-short role.
Does sound like he's really bowling well, wish I could watch. Think he's been a better new-ball ODI bowler than Southee for quite a while, but Southee has more variations for bowling through the middle and the death.

They're inevitably going to be compared but it's really a matter of what suits the balance of the side better - a better new ball bowler or a better middle-overs/death bowler. Or play both and drop Ferguson, which could happen e.g. next World Cup. The Ferguson experiment is fun at the moment though, and we can also always consider a second spinner there instead.