• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Dunno could get into decent nick against the 'formidable' attack Pakistan will end up fielding.
Gul, Akhtar, Riaz, Ajmal and Afridi should be a pretty reasonable attack. I have no idea how Pakistan are going to bat for 50 overs though..

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, that's where I got my bit about Surrey from. But the characted limit killed him before he could finish.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well Im glad the ECB made this bold decision and Im not surprised at KP's rather immature response. What is the real point in him playing meaningless games against this Pakistan side at the moment when he could instead get back in nick in the longer format and prepare for the Ashes? The guy must have a screw loose.

Spark

Global Moderator
So KP's done a Phil Hughes in typical KP style? Heh.

EDIT: In a sense it's a bit of a shame he was so good and only in the last two years has turned to mush, because he's at the age and stage of his career where it is, as seen, very awkward to drop him. However I reckon if he spent a decent, say, half a season or so, away from the international stage on the county circuit just to get his head in order as many of his contemporaries were forced to do, he would come out infinitely the better and wiser.

Last edited:

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Reckon it's about time Samit Patel got a go up the top of the order- probably won't given his weight history but he deserves a chance to prove his skills higher up the order as opposed to at No.7. Possibly No.5 (drop Wright/Yardy?) Would be worth a go, for mine, with Trott presumably coming in as the No.3? And hopefully Davies in in a straight swap for Kieswetter.

Quite pleased that they've rested/dropped Pietersen though, the guy needs to (IMO) convince himself that he can score big runs before the Ashes really. Trott will almost certainly get more runs against Pakistan than KP would have done.

Jacknife

International Captain
It has to be said at least KP has had some form this year even though it was in the World 20/20,Colly has looked really out of form since SA apart from that one innings against Pakistan.It would do Colly some good as well to go back to Durham for some 4 day practice, to spend some time at the crease.
KP may feel that getting some form against the Pakistan bowlers even in one day cricket will be more beneficial than facing county bowlers.Personally I think once he's had time to think about it, he will see the benefit of just spending time at the crease and putting together a innings under less pressure than what he's being under of late, I don't think it matters who he faces he just needs to learn how to build a innings again and get his confidence back as well.

Jacknife

International Captain
In the 20/20' both will play but Davies will keep.Don't get that Kieswetter is a better keeper than Davies.Don't know why Prior isn't in the ODI squad,should easily be their in the form he's in.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
In the 20/20' both will play but Davies will keep.Don't get that Kieswetter is a better keeper than Davies.Don't know why Prior isn't in the ODI squad,should easily be their in the form he's in.
Might have something to do with the fact that Prior averages 24 after playing 55 ODIs.

Flyonthewall

U19 Captain
Might have something to do with the fact that Prior averages 24 after playing 55 ODIs.
At a pretty poor strike-rate as well IIRC. Davies in definitely the right decision. Scores quicker than Kieswetter, and, importantly, is infinitely superior at rotating the strike-, meaning that if he fires England won't get bogged down really. And he's a better keeper as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
With Lumb out injured i would have liked to see Alex Hales called up to the T20 squad. Cant think of a better shotgun type opener in county cricket that looks capable of handling international bowling.

Plus with KP & Bell out. Shah should have definately been recalled to both the ODI & T20 squads. Batting line-up looks increasingly thin.

Dont really agree with Kieswetter being dropped from the ODI squad at all, although he had his issues vs the AUS in last ODI series. He is still the best option ENG have of taking advantage of the power-play overs. Davies although he deserves a chance, i dont think based on watching him bat he is totally capable of smoking an international attack in the power-play overs - like Kieswetter.

I would have given Kieswetter the first couple of games vs PAK & if he continued to struggled - then bring in Davies. But we shall see how Davies goes.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With Lumb out injured i would have liked to see Alex Hales called up to the T20 squad. Cant think of a better shotgun type opener in county cricket that looks capable of handling international bowling.

Plus with KP & Bell out. Shah should have definately been recalled to both the ODI & T20 squads. Batting line-up looks increasingly thin.

Dont really agree with Kieswetter being dropped from the ODI squad at all, although he had his issues vs the AUS in last ODI series. He is still the best option ENG have of taking advantage of the power-play overs. Davies although he deserves a chance, i dont think based on watching him bat he is totally capable of smoking an international attack in the power-play overs - like Kieswetter.

I would have given Kieswetter the first couple of games vs PAK & if he continued to struggled - then bring in Davies. But we shall see how Davies goes.
No Shah should never be let near the international team again. Awful fielder, awful running, mediocre batsman. To boot he's also in rubbish form for his county, hence he's buggered off somewhere else before he gets dropped.