• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in Australia 2023/24

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just looked at Masood’s numbers and they’re pretty ordinary to put it mildly. Is he a guy who’s seen to have got better at FC level recently or is he like a James Vince sort of bloke who looks like he should make test runs, plays some really good shots and then gets out?

morgieb

I just looked at Masood’s numbers and they’re pretty ordinary to put it mildly. Is he a guy who’s seen to have got better at FC level recently or is he like a James Vince sort of bloke who looks like he should make test runs, plays some really good shots and then gets out?
Both. Has done well in county cricket but mostly in Division 2 from memory, but his FC numbers while solid aren't spectacular.

Burgey

I think calling faint edges is just coin-flip stuff; you either hear it or you don't. It's different to lbws IMO, which are more the test of a good umpire.
Yeah when you’ve got a crowd making any sort of noise and if there’s a breeze as well they can be pretty hard to pick up

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit of both. Always underperformed at international's relative to domestic, but he's been phenomenal in domestic white ball stuff in pak and in the county stuff in england recently, also got a fast double ton in the tour game vs Aus-A (pitch was a slow road with a ****ed outfield, scoring quick on it was near impossible for everyone else).

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah when you’ve got a crowd making any sort of noise and if there’s a breeze as well they can be pretty hard to pick up
Doesn't look like there's much of a crowd there though.

Just out of interest, how often do stadiums like this actually fill up? Is it only Aussie Rules?

Burgey

Bit of both. Always underperformed at international's relative to domestic, but he's been phenomenal in domestic white ball stuff in pak and in the county stuff in england recently, also got a fast double ton in the tour game vs Aus-A (pitch was a slow road with a ****ed outfield, scoring quick on it was near impossible for everyone else).
Both. Has done well in county cricket but mostly in Division 2 from memory, but his FC numbers while solid aren't spectacular.
I find these sort of guys probably the most frustrating in cricket tbh.

morgieb

Just out of interest, how often do stadiums like this actually fill up? Is it only Aussie Rules?
Yeah think Perth has only really filled up for AFL.

Adelaide and Sydney can get legitimately excellent crowds from time to time but the opposition has to be right. MCG is almost always too big for cricket barring the biggest of matches.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

They've got 18,000 in today according to cricinfo. That's not THAT bad. Opening days of the west indies test last summer in perth had way worse numbers from memory.

Burgey

Yeah Ashes and AFL in Perth. Maybe the odd rah rah test match too.
17k or so there today, which for Perth in recent years is not terrible tbh, especially on a week day.

I think a few people came in late on their way back from the beach or the shops

Molehill

International Captain
17k or so there today, which for Perth in recent years is not terrible tbh, especially on a week day.

Yeah, I guessed the crowd wouldn't be too bad, it just looks bad given the size of the stadium.

It's like 3/4 full Edgbaston. Trouble is, it's hard to create an atmosphere when everyone is so spaced out.

morgieb

Kudos to Pakistan, think at least half the Test sides in the world would've folded there. At least it's competitive now.

morgieb

Yeah, I guessed the crowd wouldn't be too bad, it just looks bad given the size of the stadium.

It's like 3/4 full Edgbaston. Trouble is, it's hard to create an atmosphere when everyone is so spaced out.
Yeah I wouldn't play Test cricket here generally unless the oppo was a marquee one. Everywhere else doesn't have a second boutique stadium though.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Has marsh made any technical changes between his last test appearance and the recent golden run that can account for the swap in form or is it just mentality? I know he got good in t20I and ODI around the same time, but it just feels weird seeing a guy who was one of the worst top 6 batsmen in the history of the game suddenly start creaming them everywhere.

TBF, from memory marsh did have a similiar run in test's just before sand paper gate where he got those two 100's vs england in AUS and started the series vs SA well. Maybe this is all just circumstances and hey'll regress back to beta mode soon. White ball form makes me want to think otherwise but IDK.

Burgey

Has marsh made any technical changes between his last test appearance and the recent golden run that can account for the swap in form or is it just mentality? I know he got good in t20I and ODI around the same time, but it just feels weird seeing a guy who was one of the worst top 6 batsmen in the history of the game suddenly start creaming them everywhere.

TBF, from memory marsh did have a similiar run in test's just before sand paper gate where he got those two 100's vs england in AUS and started the series vs SA well. Maybe this is all just circumstances and hey'll regress back to beta mode soon. White ball form makes me want to think otherwise but IDK.
I dunno, I still don’t think he has a functional forward defence. Think maybe 90% of it is mental, which makes sense given 90% of the game is played between your ears

King Kane

International Debutant
Shahzad did a good job as the nightwatchman,, saved Babar from going out there for a tough last few overs.

Pakistan probably won't win this test but they might have a chance of getting a draw or at least taking it into the 5th day.

They get big crowds in Perth for the Scorchers home games, better crowds than they get for test matches apart from the Ashes.