• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You've gotta fix that.
I will when someone fixes this.

He's just gotta stop being injured so he can play and be average for a bit. He conveniently stopped playing right after his stupid epic h4x bowling period; injury is a myth to keep his ridiculous bowling ranking IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Flower "not afraid to drop batsman"

From the BBC.

Sir Andy said:
We must pick what we think is best XI to win the game. If that means making the odd change here and there then we won't be afraid to do that.
Think we can expect Ravi for the third test then.

Quite right too; been a ****ing shambles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Won't make any difference IMO.
Possibly and even probably so, but if the selectors genuinely rate Ravi as the next cab off the rank he has to be given a go.

Ravinder's problems have been well discussed and, tbh, I share a lot of those reservations too, but there's no point taking a bloke they're afraid to play.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Possibly and even probably so, but if the selectors genuinely rate Ravi as the next cab off the rank he has to be given a go.

Ravinder's problems have been well discussed and, tbh, I share a lot of those reservations too, but there's no point taking a bloke they're afraid to play.
Yeah, completely AWTA. If they've taken him on tour they obviously rate him a bit higher than most of us do, in which case he has to play now. And lets face it - even if he's rubbish, the quicker he gets in the side the quicker he can fail and we drop the guy and get a real batsman in. Clinging on to Morgan because there's no faith in Bopara will just keep both those players in the squad longer than necessary.

Woodster

International Captain
Nah DWTA. There are ways to counter that (such as getting to the pitch, disrupting the bowlers' length etc etc), this was a way easier pitch to play than Galle, for example. England were just useless.
Not sure you can compare SL's current attack to Pakistan's though. It's easy to say get to the pitch of the ball and try and disrupt the bowlers length, which is absolutely true, but you can't come dancing down the pitch when you're not picking which way the ball's turning and when some turn sharply and some intended turners go straight on. The right-handers knew that both Ajmal and Rehman could comfortably take it past their outside edge with them in no-man's land.

Also the pace and trajectory Ajmal especially bowled with made it tough to get down the pitch, he was flat and bowled around 90-95kph. Not disputing England did not perform well at all, don't think we're the only side that would have struggled on that. Would have liked to see how a top player of spin like Michael Clarke would have played it.

Woodster

International Captain
He wouldn't be patting half volleys down the pitch, that's for sure.
No probably not, I genuinely mean it when I said I'd like to see how Clarke would have operated or any other top, top player of spin. Players in our side that I thought were very good players of spin have really struggled against Ajmal and to a lesser extent Rehman.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Here's a question - when was the last time England successfully chased a total to win a Test?

In hindsight the key moment was Cook's dismissal in the first innings. Up until that point, we were cruising nicely along the 'bowl out opposition cheaply, bat big and win by an innings' path that has been so well trodden by this side. A chase was always going to be difficult, although that does.'t excuse yesterday's capitulation. But how much experience of chasing tough targets does this side actually have?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Here's a question - when was the last time England successfully chased a total to win a Test?

In hindsight the key moment was Cook's dismissal in the first innings. Up until that point, we were cruising nicely along the 'bowl out opposition cheaply, bat big and win by an innings' path that has been so well trodden by this side. A chase was always going to be difficult, although that does.'t excuse yesterday's capitulation. But how much experience of chasing tough targets does this side actually have?
Edgbaston in 2010 is my guess. Similar sort of total against the same oppo and achieved one down.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
so are you implying that England is usually ****e in the 4th innings in any case?
No, most of our recent victories have either been by an innings or when we've bowled in the 4th innings. We haven't chsed much in Test recently because we haven't needed to.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
No, most of our recent victories have either been by an innings or when we've bowled in the 4th innings. We haven't chsed much in Test recently because we haven't needed to.
Hmmm yeah.. England do seem to be great front runners and tend to win most of their games by massive margins. But when they lose, they also seem to lose heavily... so it's almost like if you hold them early and stop them dominating then they go into their shell and you can turn the tables on them.

Be interesting to know how many really close games England have had in the last 5 or so years, say since the Ashes 2005.. say a margin of less than 5 wickets or less than 50 runs.

Edit: There were the 2x Onions draws, and Cardiff... holding out for tight draws is pretty neat... wonder how many other close ones there've been

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Yeah I said that to AN via VM...we either seem to win by an innings or when it does go the distance it's when we've batted first...hardly ever had to chase targets down

All draws, but Cardiff 09, the two vs SA.
The Cardiff one wasn't the 4th innings, and we didn't really attempt to chase either target in the Saffa games so it's not really the same anyway. The first draw I think we did a bit of 'see where we are' on because at one point it definitely looked possible, but realistically we were playing for a draw both times.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, somehow missed the post above yours and thought we were still talking about 4th innings chases

Still wouldn't call them 'close' games though :p

salman85

International Debutant
I love my team :D

Now where is Smaslishah and his doomsday prediction for the 3rd test where we will get beaten by an innings and 350 runs?