• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v World XI

Loony BoB

International Captain
anzac said:
nope.............

IMO he has only had 1 real innings at Test level - his ton v AUS, so for me it's still too soon to rate him as a genuine #6..........

I'd prefer to have him as my 3rd seamer in a containment role & play him at #8 in a 6-4 split (untill such time as he starts to put the scores together against all opposition - he still struggles on slow turning tracks)...........

my biggest problem with him is that IMO he does too much bowling in a 5 man attack...............and he's not a penetrative wicket taking bowler unlike most other allrounders...........for me to take him seriously as a #6 then he should be bowling as much as Styris IMO...........
Oram has had only one real innings at test level? That's pretty harsh!

74 against SL in SL.
97 against Pak in NZ.
119* against SA in NZ.
90 against SA in NZ.
67 against Eng in Eng.
126* against Aus in Aus.

In fact, the only teams he's played against and not performed well on at least one occasion are India (his debut, only had three innings in the series too) and Bangladesh (only had two innings in the series). To say he has only had one real innings is like saying Fleming has only had four real innings, after all, he's only scored eight centuries. You could even say he's only had one real innings, if you think the only real innings is a century against Australia. :p

I know I'm taking it to extremes with the Fleming comparison, but the end result is the point that Oram has had many more than one "real" innings for NZ.

Having said that I'm not sure he's a genuine #6 yet, but the statement itself was what irked me.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
no highlights on Sky Sport yet. For all the other internationals they normally give a full replay on Sky Sport 3, but they aren't doing it for these games, which is a shame cause i was at the game yesterday and missed an interview with Oram on Sky Sport.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
yay. . more damn back injuries. Daniel Vettori is ruled out of the last F.I.CA game with a suspected Stress Fracture, but will be assessed on Thursday. Paul Wiseman has been brought into the squad after taking 9/13 against C.D. yesterday.
meanwhile Oram is set to have a back scan in the next few days to determine whether he has a stress fracture, fingers crossed the scan comes back all clear as we need oram for the games against Australia especially in the O.D.I's

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
Fingers crossed with Vettori.. From that game I think that its pretty clear that Matthew Sinclair is not a one day player. He hits fieldsmen far too often instead of finding gaps. He doesn't have the ability to turn over the strike either. I don't think he has a future in One day cricket

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
Hmm, I'd debate all 3 of those.
Our batting is fantastic- Certainly not fantastic, I agree

We have the best left arm spinner in world cricket - I think so. From what he has been showing recently Vettori surely must be considered a better spin bowler than Ashley Giles and Nickey Boje. He is NZ's main strike bowler. Sure I am a little biased with this one but what makes you think Giles is a better bowler?

We have some of the biggest hitters in world cricket - Some..I don't think so. We certainly have one in Cairns.. Astle on his day is certainly up there (as demonstrated with his 222) Jacob Oram, although i don't rate him highly can certainly give the ball a whack. As can McMillan and as of late Flem showed everyone a side of him that not many had seen before. It would have been the fourth fastest hundred in the history of ODI's had they been official and the bowlers he hit were no mugs but in saying that he isn't a consistant big hitter in terms of world cricket and there is no way you could put him in the bracket of a Cairns, Flintoff, Afridi etc

Natman20

International Debutant
Bowling

I watched highlights of the match last night. The New Zealand bowlers were bowling wide or short every ball in the opening overs very bad. But then again Wilson, Vettori and Astle were pretty good. :wacko:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Natman20 said:
I watched highlights of the match last night. The New Zealand bowlers were bowling wide or short every ball in the opening overs very bad. But then again Wilson, Vettori and Astle were pretty good. :wacko:
THERE WAS HIGHLIGHTS ON? WHEN!!??

bryce

International Regular
anzac said:
disagree - Ken Rutherford..............

made his debut as an opener in The Windies along with another youngster (both around 20 or so - similar situation to this re injury & retirements from memory), had an absolutely torrid time of it & I recall a comment from him that he reckoned it put his career back by several years b4 he got going again.............
and then there's martin crowe who also had a very bad start to his test career - as i said before if they are cut out for test level then they will bounce back from a poor beginning

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
bryce said:
and then there's martin crowe who also had a very bad start to his test career - as i said before if they are cut out for test level then they will bounce back from a poor beginning
I agree..

On another note what did everyone think of McMillan. I thought he was playing really well and was quite unlucky to get out. The shot he played wasn't aireal. He just needed to hit it a metre either side of the bowler. You could tell he was really trying to play a sensible knock by his reaction when he got out and he looks to be in reasonable form

bryce

International Regular
keep it quiet rich but i happen to me a fan of macca too(not many people like him here!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard Rash said:
We have the best left arm spinner in world cricket - I think so. From what he has been showing recently Vettori surely must be considered a better spin bowler than Ashley Giles and Nickey Boje. He is NZ's main strike bowler. Sure I am a little biased with this one but what makes you think Giles is a better bowler?
I'd say they're on a par to be honest - both are head and shoulders above any other spinner from their country, but aren't in the top level of World spinners.

Neither let their side down though.

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
marc71178 said:
I'd say they're on a par to be honest - both are head and shoulders above any other spinner from their country, but aren't in the top level of World spinners.

Neither let their side down though.
I haven't seen a lot of Giles recently so I can't really compare the two but Vettori is NZ's main strike weapon now that he seems to have refound form. He is our only bowler that I can see troubling the Aussies in the tests if Bond doesn't get fit and has been bowling very well in ODI's. In one day cricket Vettori I would say would be prefered to Hogg and probably be Australias first choice spinner in One Day cricket. It is a great shame that it seems he has injured his back again

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
Vettories control is amazing his flight and drift is world class and is a far better bowler than Giles.Vettori is the third best spinner in the world