• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not impossible but it certainly does ask significant questions about the standard of the opposition and brings questions as to how great an achievement this really is in the grand scheme of things.
The only way I can allow my mind to fathom this could occur is if the opposition bowlers were all Noobs at cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well they were U14s for a highschool team that then got bundled out for 89 in the same match. So I'd probably guess they weren't going professional anytime soon.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
LOL come on lads...no-one is saying that the boy was facing Steyn, Murali and Ambrose!! :D ...but the fact is he's going down the same schoolboy cricket path that legends like Lara walked and he's creating history. Does that mean he's gonna make it at senior level? nope...but the early signs are damn good aren't they? He'll be tested at the u17 and u19 regional levels that's for sure because boys at that level are playing club cricket and some at u19 level have even played first class cricket...so we'll just have to see how he gets on.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That should be Mark Craig, at least wait until you prove yourself before you start making comments like this "I think there's still a place in the game for those guys that don't throw the ball."

You don't have to throw - Craig
I'd take his word seriously but when your fc bowling average is 42 perhaps he would benefit from a bit of throwing. Hopefully Vettori comes back to the squad within the next 10 years, NZ must have gone through half a dozen spinners since he's been out of action.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The only way I can allow my mind to fathom this could occur is if the opposition bowlers were all Noobs at cricket.
Let me put this into some perspective (hopefully).

I played a school cricket match a couple of years ago - were were all park standard players; half of us were somewhat decent, the other half capable but only really there to make up the numbers and get out of class for a day. We came up against a team filled with guys who predominantly played 4th and 5th grade. No real standout batsman amid them in the mould of this guy, though plenty who were way too good for us anyway.

They put 230 on us in 25 overs, in overcast conditions on a huge ground, without raising a sweat.

If one were to replace one of those 4th or 5th grade batsmen with a child prodigy like Kallicharan or Jake Doran, or if we'd copped Nic Maddinson back when he was dominating the competition, the sky was the limit.

When you're outclassed at school level, heads drop after a couple of overs. Your quicks mysteriously do a hammy in the outfield and nobody wants to bowl. Conceding less than 15 in an over is a win. Nobody wants to be there any more, so there's no energy in the field. The captain offers the sole command - "scatter" - and hopes if the batsman mis-hits one that a fielder can cling on. Get to 50 off 20, and you can almost guarantee boundary after boundary after boundary from then on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The big difference between this series and the last one in the Windies is that there's no way that WI will have 250 run opening partnerships. Sure, the pitches might be dead and there won't be that much in it for the pace bowlers, but they're not going to be able to see out Southee and Boult anywhere near that effectively.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Haven't seen any Sky NZ promos for this tour. I don't have a June Skywatch to look at.

Our dollar's strong though and we're getting more UK cricket than ever obvs.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'd be confident if I was Boult too, probably a good chance this series of hitting 100 test wickets.
And if i was Narine i'd be thinking it's Christmas :D

But jokes aside the last time Boult and Southee were in the Caribbean things didn't go their way...we'll see what happens this time. Narine will be facing the same guys while Boult and Southee will be facing a top order that might look a little different.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular

But jokes aside the last time Boult and Southee were in the Caribbean things didn't go their way...we'll see what happens this time. Narine will be facing the same guys while Boult and Southee will be facing a top order that might look a little different.
Boult in his 2nd series ever, Southee pre India =/= Boult and Southee today

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Where are the other WI posters - seems sad you have to stick up for your country men on your lonesome. All is forgiven Beamer come back.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The big difference between this series and the last one in the Windies is that there's no way that WI will have 250 run opening partnerships. Sure, the pitches might be dead and there won't be that much in it for the pace bowlers, but they're not going to be able to see out Southee and Boult anywhere near that effectively.
Hold on...didn't Darren Sammy and Bravo have a huge partnership in NZ while Ramdin and Chanders had one aswell? So i wouldn't bet on it mate :D ...Boult and Southee are gonna be vital for your lot...they carry on where they left off in NZ (which will be very tough on our tracks) then NZ will have a chance...if they are inneffective like they were the last time they came to the Caribbean though then it could be one way traffic again because i have a feeling our attack is gonna cause serious problems for the kiwis....last time it was basically just Roach and Narine who ripped through them but this time they will have high quality back-up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Neither of them played in the first test, and Southee didn't even take the new ball in the second. They basically weren't bowling in partnership and that's been the big revelation over the past 2 years. Obviously they've become better bowlers than they were, but it's pretty conclusive that they also bowl much better as a pair.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, in the one test that Southee and Boult played on the last tour, didn't WI score about 220 and 200/5 on a spin friendly surface? I'd hardly say that they were "ineffective". Throw in the substantial improvement that both bowlers have made and their undoubted effectiveness as a combination, and I'd say they now pose a huge threat in almost any conditions.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
they were pretty good on the subcontinent.

still, this will be far from easy. windies start favourites since they know the conditions like the back of their hand and spin friendly pitches are our least favourable conditions as a team.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I don't deny that, I just disagree with WW's assertion that Southee and Boult were ineffective in 2012.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
they were pretty good on the subcontinent.

still, this will be far from easy. windies start favourites since they know the conditions like the back of their hand and spin friendly pitches are our least favourable conditions as a team.
Windies odds of winning the series $1,50 our odds $2.75

I don't think that is Ghambiring either.

For those who want an explanation for these odds - read Flem's post twice.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah, in the one test that Southee and Boult played on the last tour, didn't WI score about 220 and 200/5 on a spin friendly surface? I'd hardly say that they were "ineffective". Throw in the substantial improvement that both bowlers have made and their undoubted effectiveness as a combination, and I'd say they now pose a huge threat in almost any conditions.
Didn't Bolt play in the Bang series? and from what i can tell he didn't do too well out there...and that game you're talking about was at Sabina park..which lets be honest is not the most "spin friendly" track in the caribbean.. which is why NZ had a sniff early in the test.

But yeah Boult and Southee are key but for me they will still need back up...because even in NZ we had scores over 300 where they looked frustrated and tired...if that happens on our turf that's a recipe for disaster if others don't step up to the plate.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

I can remember Doull said other pacers came away pretty anti-Wagner from this tour, because of how hard it was to maintain a shiny side with him around.

WindieWeathers

International Regular

I can remember Doull said other pacers came away pretty anti-Wagner from this tour, because of how hard it was to maintain a shiny side with him around.
Kippax do you have Roach and Narine's wickets from that series? would be great to see them again.