• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
NZ have a big hill to climb to avoid their largest ever runs defeat by India (321 during the 2016 tour).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't watched the last couple of days' play - what was the general consensus on India not enforcing the follow-on, both in terms of this thread and the commentators? Mustn't be many golfers in their side...under Baz, he would've had 36 holes booked for days 4 and 5 as soon as the 10th wicket fell in our first innings. Hope Kohli's mrs doesn't understand cricket, too. 'You didn't enforce the follow on? WHY? THERE ARE JOBS TO DO AND I HAVE A BABY'

Xix2565

International Regular
I haven't watched the last couple of days' play - what was the general consensus on India not enforcing the follow-on, both in terms of this thread and the commentators? Mustn't be many golfers in their side...under Baz, he would've had 36 holes booked for days 4 and 5 as soon as the 10th wicket fell in our first innings. Hope Kohli's mrs doesn't understand cricket, too. 'You didn't enforce the follow on? WHY? THERE ARE JOBS TO DO AND I HAVE A BABY'
I personally didn't care which way, but if you think Kohli would want to finish a Test match without making some runs...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
General consensus is that it was fine. I mean you could make reasonable arguments for it both ways, but from India's point of view I think the risk of NZ scoring 400 and setting up a nervy 4th innings chase is marginally higher than the risk of India batting again (though it's obviously vanishingly small in both cases), so it was probably the right call, even if it did lead to pretty forgettable viewing for the first couple of sessions of day 3.

Last edited:

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a very long post when you've misunderstood the point. Which is that, given Jamieson is a lock in the side as a bowler also capable of batting 8, CDG becomes less valuable than before as a lesser bowler who can bat 7. Especially when Mitchell is also an option who bats and bowls part-timers. It would be possible to select both Jamieson and CDG in a bowling attack, so I'd say they're not competing for the exact same spot, but it would have to suit the rest of the makeup of the bowling attack.

I won't object if CDG gets the home season, but at 35 he is coming to the end of his career anyway.
haha yeah sorry mate, should have realised something was astray, it just sounded funny.
also wouldn't object to the big fella playing a little more, just because I like him.
but the truth of the matter is he's so not required anymore.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah no doubt if Baz was in the same position he would've wanted to bat again, get the misery over and done with and hit the golf course.
think the general consensus was that not enforcing the follow on was a bit ******** from Kohli.
however I reckon this is a bit harsh on Virat, because with sooo much time left and weather not looking a problem,
why wouldn't you have another bat and get some players into form, and give others on the cusp of the team a workout.
besides if you're a cricket lover, all it means in the end is that there'll be more cricket to watch!

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
If Kane is injured and Ross retires:

Latham
Ravindra
Young
Conway
Nicholls
Mitchell
Blundell
Jamieson
Southee
Wagner
Patel/Boult

Each batsman in what, imo, is their natural position.
It's quite difficult to determine at this point in time.
However regarding Conway, I have a very strong suspicion that eventually he'll end up an opening bat.
He's the type of player that will no doubt bat extremely long periods. which is another reason to get him in early.
anyway when you open the innings and score a double century on your debut, I reckon its written in the stars
that that's where you will end up batting.
South Africa have screwed up big time here with their stupid politics...they just don't learn.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I kn
It's quite difficult to determine at this point in time.
However regarding Conway, I have a very strong suspicion that eventually he'll end up an opening bat.
He's the type of player that will no doubt bat extremely long periods. which is another reason to get him in early.
anyway when you open the innings and score a double century on your debut, I reckon its written in the stars
that that's where you will end up batting.
South Africa have screwed up big time here with their stupid politics...they just don't learn.
Conway left SA as a thoroughly average 35 average FC bat, if anything his lack of success speaks to the lack of quality coaching, not the politics involved

Meridio

International Regular
Well, if we make it through to lunch I'll take that as a bit of a positive. Spinning plenty out there

thierry henry

International Coach
Looking forward to the day when Rachin makes more than a pleasant 20 at international level. Not even being snarky about that, he’s had to play in really tough conditions so far and that’s been his lot.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
He's done. Two reasons I say that - one is that I hope I'm wrong and I usually am about these things, I've written off many champions too early. Two is that he's a much, much worse option than Mitchell with the bat and you'd probably only entertain him as a seam option in the right conditions...which surely you have enough seam options with Jamieson/Boult/Wagner/Southee if you go that way.
yes indeed the biggest mistake you can make in cricket is to write off a champion early.
Ross Taylor is another one not to write off, he may yet have some big hundreds left, particularly in NZ,
and possibly even in the 3 test series in England next year.
Its also an extremely volatile procedure being critical of a new player.
For some strange reason, cricketers have a funny knack of being able to put egg all over your face.
CDG on the other hand, while an extremely useful player for NZ over quite a few years, was never a champion.