• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2016

Shri

Mr. Glass
Just when I was happy that Ishant wasn't around to get a wicket off a no ball, we get ****ed in this way. **** off fate.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indians ITT just be happy you even got a slow-mo replay of the incident with no DRS you kind of don't deserve to

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imagine if the ball was smashed into the helmet of a close-in fielder and then rebounded metres away into another fielder's hands. It's a good rule.

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Never knew about that rule.

Weak.
By no means.

The ball cannot be caught off external protective equipment worn by a fielder with the exception of the gloves and pads worn by a keeper (although some keepers now wear their pads under their trousers,

The ball remains live for the purpose of run scoring and the batsman can still be run out (providing there is a further act of fielding) and subject to one or two other forms of dismissal.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Really good knock from Latham so far. Guptil was frenetic and never looked comfortable but Latham hasn't looked in much trouble and has played Ashwin really well. Liked watching this partnership.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
similar to catching it in your cap. unfair advantage
I thought it was because the ball ricochets further off the lid. Personally think you should be able to throw your cap in the air and catch the ball in it, provided you then catch the cap before it hits the ground.

Brad Haddin agrees with this.

duffer

I can see the logic behind the rule, just never knew about it. How long has it been a rule?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
FMD, tried to find the reference for that and it was a pain. Not in the Dead Ball law, not in the law pertaining to fielders. It's buried in the depths of Law 32 -- Caught:

Providing that in every case
neither (i) at any time the ball
nor (ii) throughout the act of making the catch as defined in Law 19.4, any fielder in contact with the ball is, as described in Law 19.3(b), touching the boundary or grounded beyond the boundary, a catch shall be considered to be fair if:

[...]

(d) a fielder catches the ball after it has touched an umpire, another fielder or the other batsman.

However, it is not a fair catch if at any time after having been struck by the bat and before a catch is completed the ball has touched a protective helmet worn by a fielder.

StephenZA

Imagine if the ball was smashed into the helmet of a close-in fielder and then rebounded metres away into another fielders hands. It's a good rule.
What so difference when it gets parried upwards and caught by another fielder.... I understand why the rule is there but intention should count as well. Similar to the obstructing the field...

It is also seems specific for the helmet.. no other protective clothing?

Last edited:

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Just when I was happy that Ishant wasn't around to get a wicket off a no ball, we get ****ed in this way. **** off fate.
Love how you can bitch about this when Latham swept the ball into his foot. India's lucky it didn't go for four.