• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

BeeGee

International Captain
I don't care about guys like Hopkins, he's crap and he'll always be crap. The thing that concerns me about the performance of this NZ team is the experienced, talented players like Taylor and Vettori, our captain and vice captain. When the team's struggling, those are the guys you expect to step up and lead by example. Their performance with the bat on this tour has been dire and it's just not good enough.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vettori batted decently in the last game. You can't expect someone who has 4 50s and averages 17 in 260 ODIs to get you runs consistently.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori batted decently in the last game. You can't expect someone who has 4 50s and averages 17 in 260 ODIs to get you runs consistently.
Yeah and it isn't like Taylor has been terrible. He has been a little disappointing but has hardly disgraced himself.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't care about guys like Hopkins, he's crap and he'll always be crap. The thing that concerns me about the performance of this NZ team is the experienced, talented players like Taylor and Vettori, our captain and vice captain. When the team's struggling, those are the guys you expect to step up and lead by example. Their performance with the bat on this tour has been dire and it's just not good enough.
I don't really agree. It's the nature of cricket - particularly batting - that players won't always perform and that they'll go through rough patches, have off tours etc. The problem isn't that Taylor has underperformed, it's that when he does (and it will happen sometimes, like it does with any batsman) New Zealand can't carry him and work through it as they have permanent passengers, particularly in these conditions. The key to having a good cricket team is having eleven good players who can all step up and perform on a semi-regular basis; not putting stupid amounts of pressure on a couple of players and accepting that you're playing with 7 men every game.

I also think it's time people woke up and realised Vettori isn't a very good batsman in ODIs. He's improved massively in Tests to a point where he'd comfortably make the team on batting alone but he's still just a bowler who can bat a bit in this format and he shouldn't be cited in the top seven.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Marching orders for Nehra, maybe? He's regressed to his early-2000s fielding inferiority.

Mike5181

International Captain
Congrats to Franklin i guess, good to see him doing something of substance on the international stage. A few years late though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
just came back from 30mins of ashes expecting India to be batting by now. wtf happened?

Get Zak on, and wtf is Jadeja doing back in the team?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why the **** hasn't Franklin been playing this whole ****ing series for ****s sakes. ****ing ridiculous.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Vettori isn't the worst ODI number 7 IMO. Averages around 20 in the last few years at a run a ball.
Well who's worse than that and plays at full strength? :confused:
Full strength number sevens are guys like Steve Smith, David Miller, Dhoni, Perera, Afridi, Yardy etc.

He's not a power hitter and he's not a genuine finisher like a Bevan, Hussey or Dhoni. He's a #8. He could only claim to be better than whoever the West Indies bat at seven in any given ODI (Baugh, Ramdin etc) and maybe Yardy I suppose but all the other top-eight teams have a better #7 than Vettori.

BeeGee

International Captain
For the record, Vettori has averaged 27 with the bat in ODIs since 1 Nov 2009.

Why the **** hasn't Franklin been playing this whole ****ing series for ****s sakes. ****ing ridiculous.
I've been saying that ad nauseam since this tour began.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, Franklin's comfortably one of New Zealand's best players in both formats now - especially Tests. Just needs to get his head right and stop being such a flake.