• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He failed on the A tour, and How piled on runs. If they wanted him to bat 6 why wasn't he at 6 on the A tour? I just think it's unfair and not very smart.

Howsie

International Captain
It'll be really interesting to see if Patel does indeed get selected. On the one hand, it is India, and the pitches will probably suit it. On the other, as Hauritz showed, substandard spinners tend to get nuked in India. Get the feeling he probaby will though. Otherwise, I'm sure Williamson will make his debut at some stage during the series, and I suppose they'll play one of either Watling or Guptill at the top.
Jeetan Patel will definitely play, no way in the world will he miss out. Personally I wouldn't have even bothered selecting him because we all know he's not going to do anything on this tour - Nathan Hauritz is a better off-spinner and look what happened to him. For a bowler who is averaging close to 60 over the past two years and only play's when conditions suit him he certainly does seem to have a lot of backing within the team.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He's obviously sucking someone dick in administration to keep getting selected. Though we are really desperate for second spinners and he probably - sadly - is the best option we have ignoring inexperienced young players. I woulda rather had Beard or Astle but they're such big risks. Heck, i'd rather Redmond threw down his leggies. He got like 3 for in Australia last time he bowled.

Howsie

International Captain
Don't get what all this Guptill hate is about, he averages 35, seems pretty good out of our current crop, I know a lot of that is from his 189 against the Bangers, but we cant really discount that anymore can we?
Averages like 23 if you take away that inning.
That, his first class average in domestic cricket and the fact that he's not a middle order batsmen. Guptill's not a very good player of spin either.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
If Williamson plays at 6 - then I am excited for the series. Even though I would rather MCullum opened I can make my peace with him being at 3.

If McCullum can do good and if Williamson can average like 35 for the series.

It will give us a 3,4,5,6 and 7 of international test match quality. And now that I am getting enthusiastic IF Hopkins can average around 17 or 18 runs then that is good enough for a number 8.

Can't wait now.

(Yes I am fickle)

Finally we havn't discussed Tuffey's non selection. Howsie's article said he was being dropped for bowling in the 120s. IF that is how fast he is then I think this is the right move.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Arnel probably took Tuffey's place tbh. I still woulda had him over McKay. McKay's just a bad Bennett.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Jeetan Patel will definitely play, no way in the world will he miss out. Personally I wouldn't have even bothered selecting him because we all know he's not going to do anything on this tour - Nathan Hauritz is a better off-spinner and look what happened to him. For a bowler who is averaging close to 60 over the past two years and only play's when conditions suit him he certainly does seem to have a lot of backing within the team.
So two seamers (not three) and two spinners and Williamson and Ryder as back up bowlers?

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I honestly can't see Patel's bowling being any better than Williamson's.

If you look at the Aussie score cards, the seamers were taking wickets. Sure Harbhijan and Ojha were getting wickets too but Hauritz got clobbered.

Last edited:

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
So.......

McIntosh
Watling
McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Guptill
Vettori
Hopkins
Patel
Arnel
Martin

Most likely line up?

I really dont get why they want to make Guptill a middle order batsman, he is an opener, always has been, the selector seem to think middle order batsman should open and vice versa. Aren't we normally short of proper openers? Reckon they are going to stuff him round :/

irottev

U19 Cricketer
The selectors and stuff seem to try their best to put players in the most uncomfortable positions they can. They had Fulton and Marshall opening a few years back. They constantly moved Ryder around in the batting order, now they're doing it with Guptill. Chances are Williamson's gonna get the same treatment. They really have no clue.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say. Have a feeling they'll play Guptill instead of Williamson though.
I guess they will look at who does best in the warm up game.

I was just about to say this is our best batting side on paper in the past little while.

I think Kane has to play because he is an extra bowling option. In my thinking I am going to plan on him playing...batting from 3 to 7 is awesome.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So.......

McIntosh
Watling
McCullum
Taylor
Ryder
Guptill
Vettori
Hopkins
Patel
Arnel
Martin

Most likely line up?

I really dont get why they want to make Guptill a middle order batsman, he is an opener, always has been, the selector seem to think middle order batsman should open and vice versa. Aren't we normally short of proper openers? Reckon they are going to stuff him round :/
Just for me only would prefer Southee to Arnel.

New Zealand are not a minnow by any stretch of the imagination.They always raise their game against India,and after the talking to their board gave them following the ODI series against B'desh,you'd def. back them to come good.