• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Athlai

Not Terrible
100-4 IMO James Marshall to score 230 and save us.

Yet realistically hoping to see Taylor in some real runs.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah would be good to see Taylor do well. We can be pretty confident of McCullum getting to 30, just hope he doesn't stop there for once.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure Goodleman is a fair biit younger, but Denly is probably just 18 months younger than Patel.
In years, yes, but Patel has been playing for much longer. Denly only played for the first time (really - he'd played about 3 UCCE games before then) last season, Patel has as I say been around a fair while now. Denly, like Godleman, is still far more of an open case than Patel.
I don't know how you can blame him for having half a good season, what else can he do? Either way, you must admit, he is taking steps in the right direction.
Oh, of course he is, I'm not saying he's doing poorly or anything, simply that his gains are being a little overstated. What could he have done more than have half a good season? Well, have a whole good season. His case would be quite different if 2006 and 2007 read 2 rather than 1-and-a-half good seasons, and he'd certainly be someone who should be in England A books by now.
This just leads me to Watson, who for the last two seasons hasn't done anything of note, averaging less than 40 in both and 3 seasons ago, he only played 3 games, one including the final on a road of a pitch where he scored 200. And you still champion him?
Watson of the Shane variety? I don't exactly "champion" him TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Harsh words on Wright considering he just saved his side's beacon.
By the sounds of things...
Something really needs to be done about our fielding. Three simple chances put down (one by Jamie How of all people) in three games, all costing us big runs.
(I haven't read the day's report, will do in a second) he didn't actually play well to save his side, looks like he just got lucky. Which isn't exactly a surprise to me, really.

I will not be changing my view of Wright any time soon.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Wright shored up the lower order with his second hundred of the season, following the 155 he made against MCC at Lord's, and reached three figures off 119 balls with an arrogant slog-sweep-pull off Southee.

"I was just trying to be positive, we were eight down. Luckily it was in my arc, so I closed my eyes and had a little swing at it and it went over the rope. It was my day,"

Cricinfo
Bit of vindication for Richard there...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
14/1 after 12 overs. Blistering start.

If it was 14/0 I wouldn't mind so much.

Flem274*

123/5
C'mon Jamie, hang in there.

The good thing about Jamie How is when he has a couple of low scores he has a decent technique to keep him going. That is what seperates him from the rest of the rubbish openers in domestic cricket. I just hope the selectors show faith.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems Onions has picked-up an injury after taking 8.1-15-1. Funny how this seems to happen to Durham bowlers playing for teams that weren't their "normal" sides - Plunkett got injured in his only game for Durham in 2006 (which he was picked for principally to bat in) now Onions maybe being injured for England A.

Whatever it is, it's irritating. If these bowlers aren't playing, their poorness can't be being proven, and they'll be clogging-up the system for longer than if they were staying fit.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Ideally 2 out of 3 top 3 batsmen to prosper, with one of them getting to his ton. But I'm content with 1 out of 3 getting a ton while the other two fails. So, Redmond, do well please.

No Vettori down the order either, so the lower order should be interesting. Wonder if any of Oram, Southee and McCullum can do a slog-fest, judging by how Wright went to the air late in his century. :happy:

Edit: as I type, Taylor's goneeeee.....