• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, all things equal I'd probably take NZ but with the limited preparation I reckon it'll be a tough series for them to win.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I predict a comfortable victory for England in the test series.

Normally a poor perpetration will have me hitting the keyboard really hard. But I'm in a state of zen about the IPL clash. Nothing can be done, I'm in acceptance, once every 4 years ....

I'd rather we occasionally got out of the May ghetto, though. It may happen in about 5 years or so - about 1 year late when we are a bit **** again.
Exactly my feeling.

Just a bit frustrated that this might have been our best chance to beat England in a long while (though with Eden Park 2013 that might already be out of the way). Two-test fixture will also make it hard for us to claw back like we did in the UAE.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah we've been through this before Hurricane. Jimmy is not a downhill skiier. Without him in the windies we probably lose, and unlike Anderson he usually converts starts.
Neesh has a lot more to offer than easy runs in comfortable situations. Once he figures out his game to play at that level, he'll play many important knocks for his country. Very mature head on his shoulders and a solid base of technique.

Hope we don't cop any heat-seeking missiles like Jimmy Anderson castled Braithwaite (?) this morning with. Holy sheet.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Anderson is my man for when the chips are down. I like how he is prepared to look ugly if it means staying in. I haven't seen that quality in anyone in the last ten years. You would probably have to go back to john wright or Bruce Edgar to find a bigger scrapper.
I realise mark Richardson was probably the ultimate scrapper of all time but I didn't see much of him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anderson is my man for when the chips are down. I like how he is prepared to look ugly if it means staying in. I haven't seen that quality in anyone in the last ten years. You would probably have to go back to john wright or Bruce Edgar to find a bigger scrapper.
I realise mark Richardson was probably the ultimate scrapper of all time but I didn't see much of him.
BJ Watling says hello Cane-o? Interesting that you see Anderson that way, also interested if others do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Two examples - he was outmatched in that Eden Park game against Aussie - really the bowlers were better than what he had faced before and he looked in over his head - but he didn't care what he looked like and he managed to stick around with Kane for a while.
Second example - there was an inning against the Windies in Aotearoa where I think Narine was bowling and again it was clear that this was a class of spinner Corey had never dealt with before. He looked all at sea for the first 20 minutes but he scrapped out a fighting 40 and looked ugly but determined doing it. Then to Flem's point about not converting starts he got out when he had done the hard yards.

I don't believe in trudging up hackneyed expressions about picking a team to play for your life - but he is certainly someone I want in the blackcaps.

Flem274*

123/5
Playing our best eleven players regardless of roles probably has Baz opening, Watling at #5 and both allrounders tbh.

I think Corey's best knock was in the semi against SA.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Two examples - he was outmatched in that Eden Park game against Aussie - really the bowlers were better than what he had faced before and he looked in over his head - but he didn't care what he looked like and he managed to stick around with Kane for a while.
Second example - there was an inning against the Windies in Aotearoa where I think Narine was bowling and again it was clear that this was a class of spinner Corey had never dealt with before. He looked all at sea for the first 20 minutes but he scrapped out a fighting 40 and looked ugly but determined doing it. Then to Flem's point about not converting starts he got out when he had done the hard yards.

I don't believe in trudging up hackneyed expressions about picking a team to play for your life - but he is certainly someone I want in the blackcaps.
What Anderson has imo is an excellent knowledge of exactly what balls he can smash and the self-belief to play those shots even if the bowler is seemingly well on top of him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
What Anderson has imo is an excellent knowledge of exactly what balls he can smash and the self-belief to play those shots even if the bowler is seemingly well on top of him.
There was one inning that opponents of Corey would do well to reference (not that you are opposing him and I have no real reason for quoting you). It was Neesham's debut game on a seaming wicket in our first inning at the basin. Wickets were tumbling and it seemed impossible to bat. Corey resorted to trying to slog his way out of it and was dismissed cheaply. Neesham came in on the same green wicket and played cricket shots and made 40.
However I put Neesham's fast start in international cricket down to an adrenaline based phenomenon where some players on debut either bowl 5 kms faster than they normally do, or they bat out of their skin. ie they over achieve.
Shane Watson fell into this category when he started opening the batting in tests. He has always been a batting allrounder who belongs at number 6. He had no business being a top order batsman but someone forgot to tell him that and he performed well until his talent finally started matching his performances.
So it was the same with Jimmy who piled on the centuries and had an average over 70 instead of being in the high 20s where it belongs for someone of his current calibre.
I do agree with Steve's point that he will get a lot better as he learns how to bat in test match cricket. But his ceiling is a 35 average which is decent enough for a Kiwi. But less than his projectory when he first started (naturally).

Last edited:

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really don't understand Warners logic here. Hes got the 2 best seamers in world cricket (aside from mitch starc) and hes only willing to play one.

GGG

State Captain
I really don't understand Warners logic here. Hes got the 2 best seamers in world cricket (aside from mitch starc) and hes only willing to play one.
A bit of a stretch to say that Boult is in the top 2 in 20/20 or even the top 10. But yeah there is no logic in the sunrisers setup, one bad game and you are gone is hardly the way to go.

Spark

Global Moderator
..............are we talking about the ipl because if we're talking tests, which in this thread i assume we are, neither boult nor starc are in the top three seamers in world cricket.

Niall

International Coach
Its not that simple though sadly.

They can only play 4 oversea players and obviously Warner has to play as captain. Ravi has to play as they need an all rounder and he has been useful so far, then the third spot has to be an oversea batsman as the Indian batting contingent aren't great, so they will play Morgan/ Henriques. Then you are only left with one spot and at the moment they like Steyn.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
There was one inning that opponents of Corey would do well to reference (not that you are opposing him and I have no real reason for quoting you). It was Neesham's debut game on a seaming wicket in our first inning at the basin. Wickets were tumbling and it seemed impossible to bat. Corey resorted to trying to slog his way out of it and was dismissed cheaply. Neesham came in on the same green wicket and played cricket shots and made 40.
However I put Neesham's fast start in international cricket down to an adrenaline based phenomenon where some players on debut either bowl 5 kms faster than they normally do, or they bat out of their skin. ie they over achieve.
Shane Watson fell into this category when he started opening the batting in tests. He has always been a batting allrounder who belongs at number 6. He had no business being a top order batsman but someone forgot to tell him that and he performed well until his talent finally started matching his performances.
So it was the same with Jimmy who piled on the centuries and had an average over 70 instead of being in the high 20s where it belongs for someone of his current calibre.
I do agree with Steve's point that he will get a lot better as he learns how to bat in test match cricket. But his ceiling is a 35 average which is decent enough for a Kiwi. But less than his projectory when he first started (naturally).
Actually batted 3 a fair bit in domestic cricket IIRC before this.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So Anderson apparently has broken a finger and is in doubt for the England tour. Who do we replace him with if he's out of the picture? Brownlie?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So Anderson apparently has broken a finger and is in doubt for the England tour. Who do we replace him with if he's out of the picture? Brownlie?
Probably Brownlie although it would much more fun if we had Munro bringing out the reverse sweeps and switch hits at the Lords test. Big Jesse would be even more fun.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Probably Brownlie although it would much more fun if we had Munro bringing out the reverse sweeps and switch hits at the Lords test. Big Jesse would be even more fun.
Munro trying to cope with Anderson armed with a duke in spring conditions would be totes hilair.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sam Wells to be our Stuart Binny. His understated indie rock vibe is all wrong for agribusiness, but ideal for English spring conditions.

Any other NZ coach and captain than McHesson, it may well have been Wells tbh.