• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Flem274*

123/5
@ skyliner - nah we'll just ignore him and aim to nick him off cheap like we did in the group match and would have in the final had he had to do something.

if he survives the ashes (doubt it because he's getting towards retirement and sucks away from home) he'll struggle against the relentless channels of southee and henry*

*provided they're still not obsessed with the middle of the pitch....

Smith trolling our channel by flicking it to leg is my biggest fear.

We play chilled aggression and it's great.

Flem274*

123/5
anyway if the team wants the third seamer to hit the deck back of a length and bowl long spells then we should go back to wagner or look to bolters from domestix - duffman, bennett, bartlett etc

while we avoid picking hit the deck bowlers from domestix because they're either inexperienced or the third seamer for a reason, picking opening bowlers like Bracewell and Henry then telling them to change everything they have been doing isn't working. Both have been okay but they're both so much better opening the bowling and tend to go missing. This is why guys like Peter Siddle and Morne Morkel were/are so valuable to their teams and attacks of three awesome talented opening bowlers only look good on paper.

if we're willing to compromise then imo henry bowling his usual stuff should still work since he bowls a great channel with enough pace and bounce to avoid being hampered by no swing. if not, henry becomes the southee back up and wheeler the boult back up and pick someone suited to what the team seems to want.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
@ skyliner - nah we'll just ignore him and aim to nick him off cheap like we did in the group match and would have in the final had he had to do something.

if he survives the ashes (doubt it because he's getting towards retirement and sucks away from home) he'll struggle against the relentless channels of southee and henry*

*provided they're still not obsessed with the middle of the pitch....

Smith trolling our channel by flicking it to leg is my biggest fear.

We play chilled aggression and it's great.
Yeah, the chilled aggression is our brand. The chilled was always there and the aggression is the new factor.
I'd like to see some heat or some spice or something in trans-tas cricket. It's been ages since underarm. The Chappell-Hadlee doesn't have any cachet, and no-one even remembers there is a Trans-Tasman Trophy.
There used to be so many incidents in the past...Dyer the Liar, Hadlees A Wanker, the Snedden no-catch, the six sixes, the whole country hating Greg Mathews with a passion. It's all dead really. There needs to be some explosive new incident like those ones of the past.
Competing hard is the first thing that needs to happen, and then the Aussie's might have a real go at us, if they see us as a threat.
I crave their respect. I need it. I want to see the nasty Aussie's, it'll mean we are right in the contest.

Yeah, the chilled aggression is our brand. The chilled was always there and the aggression is the new factor.
I'd like to see some heat or some spice or something in trans-tas cricket. It's been ages since underarm. The Chappell-Hadlee doesn't have any cachet, and no-one even remembers there is a Trans-Tasman Trophy.
There used to be so many incidents in the past...Dyer the Liar, Hadlees A Wanker, the Snedden no-catch, the six sixes, the whole country hating Greg Mathews with a passion. It's all dead really. There needs to be some explosive new incident like those ones of the past.
Competing hard is the first thing that needs to happen, and then the Aussie's might have a real go at us, if they see us as a threat.
I crave their respect. I need it. I want to see the nasty Aussie's, it'll mean we are right in the contest.

Why was Greg Mathews hated by NZ'ers? Does anyone know the background to that story?

Wanker' and all that

But besides the humour, Sir Richard also spoke seriously, particularly while explaining the origins of the "Hadlee's a wanker" chant that erupted at grounds around Australia during the 1980s.

It started, he said, as a result of an incident that happened when the Kiwis played a Geelong District team at Kardinia Park in 1981. Angered by some slow batting by left-handed opener Peter Oxlade - the Ballarat batsman had made 95 in 358 minutes - Hadlee bowled him several bouncers, one of which struck him in the head.

Hadlee, who had earlier accosted and reprimanded a schoolboy who had said, "You're a mongrel, Hadlee", needed a police ****** off the ground, while Oxlade (pictured) was taken to hospital with concussion.

Hadlee later told the media, perhaps rather foolishly, that he questioned Australia's education system. "I think it's fair to say it wasn't a very good thing to say," said Sir Richard.

But he did get some support, the Kiwi great explaining that Greg Chappell once told him being called a wanker was, in fact, a compliment. "(He said), 'It's a mark of respect. The people here do rate you and they do fear you and you have the capability of upsetting Australia.' He didn't have to say that."

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
180 for 7 beats 280 for 9 - yeah, that makes sense

NZ bossed this match and the result was a joke

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Why was Greg Mathews hated by NZ'ers?[/B] Does anyone know the background to that story?
He used to play with his collar up, he was a bit different, ****y as. The real outpouring of hate came when he claimed a catch in an ODI at Eden Park and it was given out & he was shown on TV to have been standing on the boundary rope. He was public enemy number 1.

He used to play with his collar up,
F*n Julios.

Stokes drove me nuts all tour.

Thanks for the catch information.

I could never analyse why, right from the outset, sections of the New Zealand crowds had taken a set against Greg. Perhaps it was his juanty manner on the field. Perhaps he was a shade too successful for the liking of the more rabidly parochial Kiwi fans...You could never understand the mentality behind the crank phone calls Greg received in New Zealand, the egg-throwing and the incident in Wellington where a toilet seat was thrown on the field. Allan Border

Last edited:

Skyliner

International 12th Man
F*n Julios.

Stokes drove me nuts all tour.

Thanks for the catch information.
Stick it to Kiwi crowds, Matthews says - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Matthews said he had bricks thrown at him in Jamaica and batteries thrown at him in India, but said New Zealand crowds were the worst he experienced and the only country he felt threatened in.

He said fans screamed abuse and threw objects at him throughout the 1986 tour, and displayed offensive banners, one of which accused him of sinking the Rainbow Warrior.

"I had my wife over here and someone put a sign up saying 'Matthews F**** Chickens', and she had to go over and pull it down," the former offspinner said.

"I was man-handled in bars, I had a turd posted to me and then a bible packed with marijuana sent to me and I hurled it out the window and 10 minutes later the cops came and said they were doing a drug search.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Stick it to Kiwi crowds, Matthews says - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Matthews said he had bricks thrown at him in Jamaica and batteries thrown at him in India, but said New Zealand crowds were the worst he experienced and the only country he felt threatened in.

He said fans screamed abuse and threw objects at him throughout the 1986 tour, and displayed offensive banners, one of which accused him of sinking the Rainbow Warrior.

"I had my wife over here and someone put a sign up saying 'Matthews F**** Chickens', and she had to go over and pull it down," the former offspinner said.

"I was man-handled in bars, I had a turd posted to me and then a bible packed with marijuana sent to me and I hurled it out the window and 10 minutes later the cops came and said they were doing a drug search.
We all hated him. I still do. He was:

a) completely lacking in any sort of meaningful talent yet talked a big game. The only people who got out to his spin bowling were people who got bored and stopped playing with discipline apart from some fluke tied test where he got tenfer. His bowling average was north of 40 iirc. He was better suited to ODIs that test cricket but because he was so expensive in ODIs apparently that meant he was suited for tests. What it really meant is that he was suited for Sheffield Shield and nothing more.
b) I would say his test match batting average would be 7-8 runs lower had he not run between the wickets like a jack rabbit. He absolutely pilfered runs and stole cheeky singles and turned ones in twos and twos into threes in test cricket. Where normal batsman would just concentrate on batting well to score runs his stellar batting average of 41 in the 1980s iirc, was artificially inflated through runs that didn't reflect his talent.
c) The above two points are throw away points yet were part of the mix, the real crux of it was the quotes he gave to the media. He and Dean Jones were completely derrogatory and dismissive about Aotearoa's chances of beating a high school first XI let alone australia. Combine that with bizarre/****y quotes like "what is your favourite past time Greg?" Answer "Doing my girlfriend"

I think that covers it.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
It seems bizarre and incredible to read all this now and think back on it, but the ODIs used to be this circus going around Australia and they were chanting "Hadlee's a wanker" at our champion at full volume for basically the entire match, match after match.
I guess Kiwi crowds had an attitude of dealing out retribution for Australian missdeeds. In our minds Australians were cheats, their umpires were certainly chests & it was just a matter of catching them in the act. I notice their comments on not understanding why he was so hated don't include any reference to Mathews's cheating incident.

If you see a video on YouTube of the entire 'underarm' over, earlier in the over Hadlee is given out LBW to a ball clearly pitching outside leg and Ian Chappell says something like "well Richard Hadlee will probably feel a little unlucky there, as he's been appealing for LBW all summer and hasn't been given a single one".

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It seems bizarre and incredible to read all this now and think back on it, but the ODIs used to be this circus going around Australia and they were chanting "Hadlee's a wanker" at our champion at full volume for basically the entire match, match after match.
I guess Kiwi crowds had an attitude of dealing out retribution for Australian missdeeds. In our minds Australians were cheats, their umpires were certainly chests & it was just a matter of catching them in the act. I notice their comments on not understanding why he was so hated don't include any reference to Mathews's cheating incident.

If you see a video on YouTube of the entire 'underarm' over, earlier in the over Hadlee is given out LBW to a ball clearly pitching outside leg and Ian Chappell says something like "well Richard Hadlee will probably feel a little unlucky there, as he's been appealing for LBW all summer and hasn't been given a single one".
Home town umpiring was rife all over the world tbf. Fred Goodall was probably no better than the Australians and would give front foot LBWs in an era where being on the front foot was taken into account. Now it isn't if you are in line you are out. Back then being very far forward indicated some sort of doubt.

But yes - Australian umpires were attrocious. So were the Pakistanis though, and the Indians at home were dubious. The English strangely were beyond reproach with stout men like Sheppard.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
b) I would say his test match batting average would be 7-8 runs lower had he not run between the wickets like a jack rabbit. He absolutely pilfered runs and stole cheeky singles and turned ones in twos and twos into threes in test cricket. Where normal batsman would just concentrate on batting well to score runs his stellar batting average of 41 in the 1980s iirc, was artificially inflated through runs that didn't reflect his talent.
I think that covers it.
So he inflated his average by getting more runs?

Skyliner

International 12th Man
Home town umpiring was rife all over the world tbf. Fred Goodall was probably no better than the Australians and would give front foot LBWs in an era where being on the front foot was taken into account. Now it isn't if you are in line you are out. Back then being very far forward indicated some sort of doubt.

But yes - Australian umpires were attrocious. So were the Pakistanis though, and the Indians at home were dubious. The English strangely were beyond reproach with stout men like Sheppard.
Yeah, I read Rod Marsh's book Gloves of Irony and was absolutely scathing of our umpiring. I sort of read it as perhaps an Aussie returning fire for everything Kiwi's would say about their umpires, as my recall of that era is hazy now. I recall the Springbok Tour and all the incredible drama and strife of that, I remember coming home from school and seeing Argentinian armoured vehicles in the Falklands on TV. I remember sitting up late at night with my Nana watching NZ (successfully) defend a total against Australia and marking off the runs on a piece of paper, my mum always heading off to bed whenever she could see we'd lost - always remarking that it was "all over bar the shouting", my brother inconsolable bawling his eyes out when Morrisons appeal on McDermott was turned down in the last Boxing Day Test we played at the MCG.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So he inflated his average by getting more runs?
Cricket is like ski jumping for me. I give out points for style and effectiveness. Scoring a 40 by pilfering half of them against blokes who have been in the field for 110 overs before you walked out to bat impresses me less than a Michael Clarke innings of 40 with screaming on drives.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I read Rod Marsh's book Gloves of Irony and was absolutely scathing of our umpiring. I sort of read it as perhaps an Aussie returning fire for everything Kiwi's would say about their umpires, as my recall of that era is hazy now. I recall the Springbok Tour and all the incredible drama and strife of that, I remember coming home from school and seeing Argentinian armoured vehicles in the Falklands on TV. I remember sitting up late at night with my Nana watching NZ (successfully) defend a total against Australia and marking off the runs on a piece of paper, my mum always heading off to bed whenever she could see we'd lost - always remarking that it was "all over bar the shouting", my brother inconsolable bawling his eyes out when Morrisons appeal on McDermott was turned down in the last Boxing Day Test we played at the MCG.
I remember the Springbok tour. Us kids at school were incredibly diplomatic about it. Being all of 7 years old of course we didn't have our own opinions and just went along with what ever the family view was. Yet in the playground it was quickly identified whether you were from a pro or anti family yet it stopped there, no discussion or debate just respect from 7 year olds that the country was divided and we weren't going to agree with each other about. I was from an "Anti" family and was taken on a protest walk at age 7 where the pro people lined the streets and made sarcastic comments at us. It was a time to tie your colours to the mast yet at the same time be a good sort about it to the other side.

Possibly that is one of the more defining times of our nation.