• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'm glad there was no result. A 22 over (cut down to a 20-20) game isn't the best way to decide who the best side in a 50 over game is. 20-20 cricket is such a random game filled with luck. Players take risks that sometimes come off and sometimes they don't. Who knows who would have won the game today if it was played in the 50 over format... all I know is the game I saw wouldn't have given us a good idea of that.

All the same, it's a really disappointing end to a series. You see a side come back from 0-2 down and you expect a thrilling finale.

And yeah agreeing with the people here that New Zealand's commentators suck.

Redbacks

International Captain
c) Post match and rain discussion which is virtually non-existent here
I think Free-2-Air Tv is a reason behind this, if play has stopped C9 will prefer to play their normal programs rather than provide analysis. It was enjoyable listening to the discussions in the breaks during the Eng-RSA series but I don't think this kind of talk will interest the average punter.

GGG

State Captain
Mills out and Taylor in doubt, I think that answers that silly cricinfo users submitted question as to why they don't play in the rain.

Precambrian

Banned
Very happy with the result, such a good series didn't deserve to be decided with a 22 over match and a draw is more than a fair reflection. I wouldn't really bother who gets the trophy, aside from the Ashes trophy, regaining and retaining trophies are pretty meaningless.

Looks like Siddle was superb, so great call re selecting him over Hilfenhaus. Also Hopes never opening again would make me a very happy man. Also looks like the calls for Haddin to move up the order made a while back by some of us have been validated. Ferguson a massive positive also.
Ahem.. Border Gavaskar...

pasag

RTDAS
why not? That India has kept it for longer time since it's introduction.....?
If Australia would have won the final Test, I wouldn't have cared that they had retained the trophy, rather that they had drawn a series having looked down the barrel for a lot of it.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
After all that, at least we had some cricket!

Guptill's innings was incredible. I really didn't think he was a player who could have that type of strike rate (about 200) right from the start and maintain it throughout.

Maaaarvellous.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Taylor is now ranked the 16th best ODI batsman in the world. :cool: Would even be higher if not for his 4 and out last night.

Should crack the top ten soon enough. (And the top 100 best ever)

Elliott is 57th and moving up while Guptill is 72nd and doing the same. This series has helped to regain Fulton a bit of momentum too and he is ranked 43rd.

Meanwhile Mills is making a fair claim at the best ODI bowler in the world while Kulasekara came close to snatching the top spot from Vettori. Mills to reach the top in the India series, if he's good enough he may even touch 800. Which could bring him into the top 30 ever in ratings. (Currently he's 62nd, Vettori 30th)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Find it kind of funny that Guptill has scored 122* and 64* in two matches that were rained off with no result.

Guy is the kind of NR.

In just two matches he's 13th top run scorer in no results ever. With the 3rd highest score. No one else even comes close to his record, if he scores a duck in his next NR he will still average at least 56 more than his nearest rival.

irfan

State Captain
Find it kind of funny that Guptill has scored 122* and 64* in two matches that were rained off with no result.

Guy is the kind of NR.

In just two matches he's 13th top run scorer in no results ever. With the 3rd highest score. No one else even comes close to his record, if he scores a duck in his next NR he will still average at least 56 more than his nearest rival.
Amazing stat.

Interviewer: It's perfect sunshine and a fast outfield, ideal conditions for batting - don't you agree Martin?
Martin Guptill: Oh ****. Wake me up when the rain clouds start to hover

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, I agree with this. It would have been a pretty dire way to settle the series, especially if, as people are suggesting, we just assumed New Zealand would win the twenty over contest. Where do you draw the line? What if they were set 50 to win off 5 and were 33/4 off 3? It's just not a true reflection of ODI cricket after a certain point.

Anyway, all that aside, I actually think New Zealand were the better team of the series. Deserved to win, but not in such a farcical way.
This.

2-2 is good.
But the fact that they played so much of this game, and NZ finally got themselves into a winning position only for it to rain, was just a touch annoying.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was more annoying they didn't get a full 50 overs. If the match had finished last night, wouldn't have been the same no matter who won imo.

pup11

International Coach
Was more annoying they didn't get a full 50 overs. If the match had finished last night, wouldn't have been the same no matter who won imo.
Should just play the CH trophy decider games at Telstra dome tbh, that's the only solution AFAIC.