• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia 2015

Gob

International Coach
Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Neville
Marsh
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

just about alright for me

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Who will be Peter Siddle's 200th Test wicket?

a. Martin Guptill
b. Tom Latham
c. Kane Williamson

Loose Cannon

U19 Debutant
Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Neville
Marsh
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

just about alright for me
Nah, MMarsh can live or die at 6. Moz to show him how, if he's not up to it.

Nev has to take over from summertime-rearguard Haddin (as opposed to charge-and-swish off season Haddin). Nev is used to holding a strong tail together after a top order Bl00s flail. Key point of the series for mine.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Nah, MMarsh can live or die at 6. Moz to show him how, if he's not up to it.

Nev has to take over from summertime-rearguard Haddin (as opposed to charge-and-swish off season Haddin). Nev is used to holding a strong tail together after a top order Bl00s flail. Key point of the series for mine.
Can see the Australian tail being a real nuisance on this series. Capable as Craig/Bracewell/Southee/Boult are, can't see them holding fort against the Mitches or Lyon for too long. Extra onus on the NZ top order, then.

Though Boult vs Siddle at Hobart was one of the absolute highlights of that test. I'm picking him for Siddle's 200th wicket.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Good to see weather is fantastic this week, that is until Thursday. Crap from then all the way through to the next week.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

a. Martin Guptill
b. Tom Latham
c. Kane Williamson
I am hoping the selectors don't pick him. Some of the spells he bowled when finally selected in the Ashes were delectable and showed that he had cracked the code of what fast bowling is all about. Sort of how Hadlee cracked the code and became H4X. I am thinking he will be overlooked for not being FAAAAASSSSSTTTTTT enough however. Which will make me and our batsman happy.

In the defence of the selectors Australian pitches reward pace more than any other attribute.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member

a. Martin Guptill
b. Tom Latham
c. Kane Williamson
I reckon Siddle will be 12th man for the first 2 tests, but will play in the dead rubber (NZ up 2-0) at Adelaide. He will get 0 for plenty in the high scoring draw before getting his 200th against the West Indies.

adub

International Captain
Surely if they can just abandon warm up games they bring forward the start to tomorrow. Over waiting...

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
With all the other cricket on I'd kind of forgotten how close around the corner this was. Should be gun.

howardj

International Coach
One of the things I find with the weather, is that the bureau is spot on most times...

It's the weather icons (i.e. the little pictures of rain or cloud) of the TV networks and websites that are misleading - the icons have no subtlety or nuance

People see a cloud or rain icon, and they think it's bleak

Always, always go back to the bureau's description...in this case 'a possible shower' or 'a shower or two' 1mm to 6mm

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Massive series for both Taylor and Southee really. Both are on their third tour of Australia and their knowledge of these conditions and overall experience simply needs to be put to good use. Sure, McCullum has toured three times before and it'd be nice if he brought his A-game, but IMO he's not as crucial to NZ's chances as those two.

Both need to be massively up for this (applies to the rest equally, but not too worried about them). Taylor has been flaky ever since those three centuries at home against the Windies, and it'd be a shame if this turns out to be another respectable-but-no-more tour for him with the bat. Southee seemed to have jumped a level in the Windies last year (in terms of his bowling when conditions don't suit), but hasn't quite been able to sustain it. Both seem to take a while to hit their stride on tour, so just as well this is a 3-test series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have a gut feeling Taylor will have a bit of a stinker. I don't think the conditions really suit him much but it's not even that; it's 90% gut.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
not because Taylor didn't get any warm up runs?
That's what I assumed PEWS's logic was. PEWS is PEWS no doubt he has his own reasons for thinking he won't come off but it is hard to suspend your belief that his warm up performances didn't taint people's opinions.

I personally have no idea how he will go, I will throw it out there that it will be better than England for a number of reasons

1) It is easier to bat in Australia and he has made runs there before.
2) He has re-developed his defensive system in the last ODI I watched him play before his groin injury/blow. He will actually score more slowly than before but get out less often. Watch for his SR to fall from his career average of 60 something to the low 50s for this tour. But he should accumulate well. I have taken his warm up games into account and they do trouble me as I think he would have tried his best in them, but I think he will go ok. Look for him to average about 50 for the series.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

Can a mod add this picture and the following instructions to the OP...

Trans tasman banter is compulsory in this thread. Anyone not participating will be mod killed and forced to dress like the Aussie in the middle of this photo in real life.