• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Flem274*

123/5
Whenever I've watched him, he's always been very stand and deliver oriented. Granted, it was limited overs where he has a poor record, so maybe he bats completely differently in the two formats, but that would surprise me. If we ever see a CD/Auckland FC game in New Plymouth or Palmy I'll go along and have a look.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes it's surely done a lot for him. Think he averaged something respectable though not amazing while in the UK, but playing that much cricket can only be good.

BTW Woodster, you can see how Finn has been going for Otago here and here (current match).
Yes think he averaged around 40 for Gloucester, which tbf was around the mark you'd expect. He would have found the conditions difficult to be consistent, yet there will have been the odd knock that really highlighted his potential quality.

Thanks for the links, I have been following Finn's progress over there. He seems to have been very economical on the whole, and the report I read about his debut was he bowled quickly if not with any great penetration. Hopefully his loose stuff will become less frequent and he can get a few decent hauls under his belt.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whenever I've watched him, he's always been very stand and deliver oriented. Granted, it was limited overs where he has a poor record, so maybe he bats completely differently in the two formats, but that would surprise me. If we ever see a CD/Auckland FC game in New Plymouth or Palmy I'll go along and have a look.
When he was coming up through the ranks as a teenage prospect in Zimbabwe a lot of people spoke very highly of his technique and he was a proper top three batsman. Obviously a lot can change though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if he doesn't want to play for Zimbabwe, per se, because I think he's very proud to be from there. His parents are still there, brother etc.

But he loves it over here and wouldn't be going back, even if it was to crack an international side.

Technique wise, there are some fallabilities (obviously) but he's very strong on the back foot which not many of our batsmen can say. Also no issues against pace..it's just an application issue with him.

Switching subjects, has anyone listened to Radio Sport's offerings from Waddle in his jocks in a studio? Is it just him reading scorecards? Rubbish?

Howsie

International Captain
de Grandhomme's terrible. He's fashioned himself quite a decent first class record but it's fairly obvious he's not good enough with either bat or ball to ever play test cricket for New Zealand. He'll probably end up playing for New Zealand in the 20/20 stuff as soon as he actually scores some runs though.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
He has five first-class hundreds, and he's terrible. So everyone who doesn't play for NZ is terrible. Righto.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I did not even know Stewart bowled :wacko:

To be fair, very attacking batsmen can get out to anyone who serves up tempting pies.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
NT Broom lbw b MJ Mason 0 (5)

That's not going to do his chances of going to Australia a world of good when the squad is announced this afternoon.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
ND tail scoring at a frenetic pace and then getting out. Eight down now and Williamson on 280*, in danger of being stranded before the big 300.

Howsie

International Captain
Yep, idiotic batting, especially from Southee, you just need someone to bat with him not to bash a quick 20.

Edit: And we just declare anyway, why? Like this bowling attack needs six sessions to bowl Wellington out.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Agree it's a bit strange to declare now when in 4-5 more overs Williamson could have 300 if Arnel stayed in. Not that personal milestones are the most important thing, but if they were going to declare anyway why not do it overnight? Or after 3 overs this morning if they wanted to rub salt in.

Otago in trouble vs CD. Nethula needs 3 more wickets for a 10-fer. Wonder if he'll be this season's Todd Astle and get us excited about spin bowling potential.

Flem274*

123/5
Well Nethula does have the New Zealand captain watching him. Could score a place in NZ A on Taylor's word if he is impressed.

Howsie

International Captain
I can't believe we've had Nathan McCullum and Kyle Mills bat at six for their respective teams during this round, kind of embarrassing tbh.

Flametree

International 12th Man
I can't believe we've had Nathan McCullum and Kyle Mills bat at six for their respective teams during this round, kind of embarrassing tbh.
And Vettori at 5, I think it was. I know, he's a decent bat and probably needs to practice his batting more than his bowling before the Aussie series, but still. It's like NZ first class cricket is like junior high school teams where the best bowlers are also the best batsmen.

Still, at least top scorers in our test side aren't numbers 10 and 11 (indeed with our current no. 11, that's guaranteed never to happen!) Not since the days of Vettori at 10, or maybe Simon Doull.