• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Pick one.

Fair enough.. I didn't explain myself well. All i am basically trying to say is that there were stages where both teams were in the box seat and could have pushed for the win. Australia will be dissapointed that they didn't finish off England and England should be dissapointed after their bowlers set such a great platform for the batsman.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Blaze said:
Fair enough.. I didn't explain myself well. All i am basically trying to say is that there were stages where both teams were in the box seat and could have pushed for the win. Australia will be dissapointed that they didn't finish off England and England should be dissapointed after their bowlers set such a great platform for the batsman.
Better!

The way I see the psychological afters is that whilst Australia were in "winning" positions (at 33-5, and then 167-8) and only once in a "bad" one (196ao), England only ever got to "good" positions (196ao, and maybe 134-5) and also experienced one "atrocious" position (33-5) so should (and will) be more content with the final tie.

Blaze

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Better!

The way I see the psychological afters is that whilst Australia were in "winning" positions (at 33-5, and then 167-8) and only once in a "bad" one (196ao), England only ever got to "good" positions (196ao, and maybe 134-5) and also experienced one "atrocious" position (33-5) so should (and will) be more content with the final tie.

I would have to agree with you.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Crazy Sam said:
problem for ponting was that he realised that hogg really wasn't the greatest fifth bowler option. unfortunately, neither was hussey ! symonds bowled great once again.

i'm actually not too unhappy with this, the australian bowlers did pretty well and gave the top order a tough time of it, and when you throw warne into the mix we shouldn't do too badly. there were some overs and balls from the pacers though that were quite ordinary in the last 20 overs.
Selectors and Ponting were less than average today.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
wow! england has really surprised me so far....looks like for the first time in a long time, they aren't intimidated by the aussies....makes for an exciting ashes...although i still believe that australia will win, it looks like it is going to be real tight this time around.....

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Would I pick Read for The Ashes?

Oh, yes.

Why?

Because Read is a better keeper. Saying that, Geraint is, like Gilchrist, a perfectly capable catcher of the ball. If we have 5 hard, bouncy tracks this summer, then the Giles question won't come into the equation (that would be a huge shame, no-one should run scared of Warne when there are enough Aussies to be worried about already) and then you want a catcher, not a keeper, and the gap narrows.

Next question....
well thats just your opinion eddie which i agree with, but at this stage their is no way Read will be playing in the ashes.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
well Glenn McGrath played apropriatley for probably his last ODI innings.

also Mike Hussey finished the series with a higher average than Pieterson for the person that suggested it would be the other way around :p

hopefully the new rules will see Katich coming into the side for the next match to strengthen the well out of form Aussie top order.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
I know - but I'll see your Tresco outside off stump and raise you one Ponting falling over to the off. The Aussies have been exposed in exactly the same way by England's attack - we could be in for one of the lowest-scoring Ashes series of all time.

Somehow, I doubt it.

For the record, I agree with much of what you say - yes, even about Trescothick - but just occasionally take your blindfold off. You missed a cracking match today.
Flintoff and Harmison have, IMO, bowled as well as anyone this summer.

They have found a number of ways to get Aus top order out but the Australians have also contributed heavily to their own downfall (see todays match as an example - only Martyn was bowled out).

Aus, on the other hand, have identified weaknesses in both Strauss and Tresco whilst Vaughan looks only a shadow of the player that contested the last Ashes.

Flintoff and KP, meanwhile, are great strikers of the ball but both have really dodgy techniques and it is difficult to see them scoring consistently this series.

It may well be that certain Aus batsmen are rattled by the bounce and pace and will continue to find different ways of getting out but, to me at any rate, technically they are better organised and more likely to find consistency against a good bowling attack (except for spin, where Giles is very mediocre).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
although Gillespie is rapidly falling in my estimation

For me, the key man hasn't set foot on English soil yet, and that's the only 'proper' opening bat either side possess - Justin Langer.
Well its true that Dizzy just hasn't looked himself on tour yet & with the 1st test just around the corner time is running out for him.

I dont think Langer is the best opener on either side, for me its Hayden.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
wonder how long back we'd have to go since the last time australia didnt win the final of an ODI tournament(in which they played in)?
in 2002 in a triangular series in Kenya againts Pakistan when rain fell & before that in the Aiwa Cup in 99 when SRI beat them by 8 wickets if my memory is correct.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah Langer is awsome these days, as for Dizzy he has been awful this tour, its gonna be a tough call on the selectors come test time unless he picks his game back up.

Blaze

Banned
I would love to see Brett Lee play in the tests..They need to give him a crack IMO but it's hard to see an opening for him

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Strange time to choose to attack Gillespie, this. He bowled better yesterday than he has all tour... surely everyone can agree on that point? His second spell was quite good indeed.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
age_master said:
with the substitutions i doubt he will ever bat in an ODI again
Ahh I see. I thought for a second he'd announced retirement or something.

Entrael

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i hope he doesnt bat in ODI's again, i dont mind seeing him bat in test matches but if he had stuck around with hussey australia could of scored at least 5-10 more runs and in the scheme of things that could of made a lot of difference.

His bowling though was exceptional, although his last over no-ball was a little dissapointing.