• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Have to say, considering 1 over went for 14, Harmison had superb figures today.
Taking the 3 games against Aus as a whole, Harmison currently has the best average (by a mile) and economy rate of the England bowlers. Speaking as someone who was arguing that he would be better off playing for Durham until the start of the Ashes, it's nice to be proved spectacularly wrong so far. Actually, his figures rather understate how well he's bowled, since he's generally come on with the fileding restrictions still in place and the batsmen well set.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What does every one feel about Gough? How long should he be persisted with and should you go with Gough or some one else now that Jones is looking good.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Stick with gough cause hes a proven performer. He didnt really bowl that badly yesterday its jus the aussies punished good deliveries that he just happened to be bowling.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Which begs the question, should he (Gough) be in the team?
Well, his runs will come in handy.
Apart from that, probably yes. For a little while, anyway. He was by some distance our best performer in SA, and he has more idea than most how to bowl at the death. But his lack of penetration with the new ball is a real problem. I don't subscribe to the view that McGrath & Lee were wasting their time when they reduced us to 6 for 3 the other day, and we are consistently starting at a significant disadvantage by not claiming some early wickets.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I've got to admit nothing of the sort to the likes of you, you descendent of a sheep-stealer or budgie-importer you. What goes on between Shane's ears (or his legs for that matter) are between him, Vodaphone and people whose basic lack of intelligence leads them in the general direction of tabloid newspapers and Australian bars called 'Billabong' or 'Surfers' or 'Drongo' or 'Ponting' or some other stupid name supposed to give the lowbrow premises some perverse sort of street-cred.

And why is it that every time I go into a 'normal' blooming bar in my own country I'm served by an Australian - and why do they serve my Guinness in a Fosters-like 15 seconds instead of a decent 2 and a half minutes, then look at me gone out when I tell them to go away and do it properly?
:laugh:

C'mon, they've got other people to serve too, they can't waste 2 and a half minutes on a crazy old pom and his special beer. Wouldn't the wait take some time away from consuming your daily helping of cabbage with mint sauce or some such thing, anyway?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
:laugh:

C'mon, they've got other people to serve too, they can't waste 2 and a half minutes on a crazy old pom and his special beer. Wouldn't the wait take some time away from consuming your daily helping of cabbage with mint sauce or some such thing, anyway?
Pour most of the beer, let it stand, go and steal a sheep (or whatever it is that Aussies do when they're not pulling a pint) THEN come back and top it up after you've led the Rozzers a good song-and-dance down a few blind alleys.

2.5 minutes, job done.

MINT SAUCE?!?!????

I'll have you know it's Worcestershire Sauce with cabbage. Mint Sauce with swede (or Norwegian, I'm not fussed).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Steulen said:
"We are off to England in 2 weeks and won't be back until October".

Clearly, he's the son of Justin Langer :)
That or Stuart MacGill's son, but MacGill's probably too young to have a son old enough to use this board. He could be Shaun Tait, and the "my Dad" thing's all a ruse...... :D

Or maybe he's the son of Michael Slater. He's old enough to have a 15-16 year old son, and will be commentating on the Ashes this summer IIRC. Come clean, young lad!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
That or Stuart MacGill's son, but MacGill's probably too young to have a son old enough to use this board. He could be Shaun Tait, and the "my Dad" thing's all a ruse...... :D

Or maybe he's the son of Michael Slater. He's old enough to have a 15-16 year old son, and will be commentating on the Ashes this summer IIRC. Come clean, young lad!
If jlo's grammar is of a 15-16 year old, I'll go "he".

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Barney Rubble said:

or one of Warne's many..

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Barney Rubble said:
Have to ask, seeing as you've name-dropped the fact that your Dad and his friend have played with Warne a lot - can you give us some clues as to who your Dad and his friend are? Just curious.
Dad will go beserk if i do.....the name might give a clue...i am in strife i think for even saying that...but hey im proud of him...not name dropping just the truth...

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
luckyeddie said:
To quote Christine Keeler : "He would, wouldn't he?"

If all it takes are the words of a captain desperate to plug the holes in a sinking ship, you are easily reassured. What do you expect him to say: "Well, the Poms are giving us a few problems and, you know what, we just might ket beaten if we're not careful or we're not at the top of our game"?

(still tongue-in-cheek, but you guys will believe it anyway)
Yes you are right Eddie... he would not say anything elase would he or he might not be el capitano for long huh/??
correct as usual...do you get anything wrong ( runs before eddie gets one in)
We love your humor though and will miss it for the duration of the series.. Maybe see you at the tests? do you get along to any or just TV?

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
Hey Pratyush...we have more or had more than 1 person using the members name that we created for some time..We changed a few things when we recieved a last warning from a bloke called James,when dad looked further into what was written ahh lets just say that he was not happy , nor myself as my name or handle was being used by some friends of friends who just used my wand to sign into all our bookmarked sites..
So there is some people out there who are most likely p..ed off with us but i promise it was not myself or Dad and the problem has been fixed...i will sign out now as i am not hear to big note or anything like that . dad is not our blood father bt is all we have known and would not change it for the world...Haqving given so much away i would love to stay but am in a awkward situation and an easy target but to some of the people that were upset by some earlier quotes made please accept our appologies. Love reading all your quotes and there are some very funny people on this site...we leave in 3 days actually for scotland then on to England in 2 to 3 weeks. So if we do not catch up with the people we offended (sorry)
keep up this great site..you would actually be amazed at who reads your blogs and also some of the things that are written sometimes become a talking point for the Aussies but mainly the comedy of the average supporter is something that you cannot buy.
Again keep up the great work on site as it is very much read....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jlo33692 said:
Yes you are right Eddie... he would not say anything elase would he or he might not be el capitano for long huh/??
correct as usual...do you get anything wrong ( runs before eddie gets one in)
We love your humor though and will miss it for the duration of the series.. Maybe see you at the tests? do you get along to any or just TV?
At the moment, I have to content myself with watching from afar - I'm working in Ireland. Terrible timing, this being Ashes year, even worse timing in that I am going on holiday back to the UK just when the ICC Trophy is being played in.... Ireland (with the final stages all being played in Dublin and the semi-finals and final not two miles from my Bed and Breakfast).

It will have to be the TV on Saturdays and Sundays - the rest of the time I shall keep in touch by popping into CricketWeb and Cricinfo.

I'm flattered that people appreciate my sense of humour - now if I could only interview your dad (or better still get the Duck to do it) he could end up being a bigger legend than he already is. Then again, a leg end is just a foot.

King_Ponting

International Regular
collingwood at odds of 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 to 1 against hayden whos 1.01 to 1 on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno, just doesn't look that macho to me. I can almost see them throwing their arms around each other passionately from that position, staring into each others eyes, mouths open...

Someone really ought to put it up in the humour forum and see what captions people can come up with. ;)