• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 21 - England v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Why exactly was Broad taken off after 4 overs? And when is Swann supposed to bowl his remaining three?

Does Strauss seriously think this one will go the distance and he's saving Broad and Swann for the last 10? Even my five-year old daughter's worked out that we need wickets now, not in 15 overs time, if this is going to be any sort of contest.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Just a theory, but I'm going to run with it: it's occurred to me that one of the myriad reasons why we're a much better test outfit is probably because a team can get away with only having four bowlers in the longer format and one can be hidden if they're having an off day with a class spinner to wheel away from one end.

In ODIs when ten is the max and five bowlers a bare minimum our lack of depth is badly exposed. In T20 it's easier to muddle thru 4 or 8 overs too.
It may be a factor. For me, the bigger question is why our test players can't adopt to the 50-over game, whereas elsewhere they do. I don't have any sort of answer to that question, btw.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Such crap captaincy by Strauss. Why save Swann and Broad? If you need them for the tailenders you forgot the key fact you need to dismiss all recognised batsman first.

Probably the most conservative bunch of captains ever assembled at this World Cup.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Such crap captaincy by Strauss. Why save Swann and Broad? If you need them for the tailenders you forgot the key fact you need to dismiss all recognised batsman first.

Probably the most conservative bunch of captains ever assembled at this World Cup.
Agreed, Swann should have bowled out and Broad at least 6 or 7.

Still always our first ever defeat against Bangladesh to look forward to next week.:laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator

Swann has only 3 so that I sort of get, but Broad has 6, so he should be on. It's really strange.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's a seriously incredible ball. Anderson still has it.

Was so funny too. Heard a noise at it went past, saw no one go up and was like "waaiiiiiiiiiit..."

Dissector

International Debutant
England probably have too few runs to play with but if they could sneak in another wicket here it would really put pressure on SA with their long tail.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Unfair on Graeme Smith afaics. Couldn't really comment on the rest.

Far too generous to Strauss though. This goes way beyond conservatism - it's sheer stupidity, with no ability whatsoever to read the state of the game. Yet more evidence that his mind's elsewhere - presumably on the flight to Heathrow sometime next week.

EDIT
And Anderson's given him a break whilst I was typing that.

Last edited: