• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

Polo23

International Debutant
Who opens the bowling if Kallis is replaced? Ryder?

The same stuff over the 4 weeks has consisted of winging that either Vettori or Ryder isn't playing, or Oram isn't getting a fair go, or McCullum has been unlucky has captain.

It gets bloody tiresome.
Vettori and Ryder got a rough deal, as far as i'm concerned you'd have to be a complete ****** to think otherwise...though, that wouldnt surprise me.

When did I say Oram isn't getting a fair go? I said it's disappointing (from my perspective) that he hasn't had more of an opportunity with the bat. I then went on to say I could understand if he got dropped.

Also, when did I say McCullum was unlucky as captain? He played ****, and his team played ****. but if you put KRR performing so poorly solely down to captaincy then you need help.

But hey mate, don't let what I actually said get in the way of you furthering your whinging.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Haha what? Polo mate you have contradicted yourself so much, even the truth. McCullum had a terrible streak of luck as captain and was by no means the worst batsman in the IPL, all in all he had a moderate season. Captaincy was by no means the worst either.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Vettori and Ryder got a rough deal, as far as i'm concerned you'd have to be a complete ****** to think otherwise...though, that wouldnt surprise me.

When did I say Oram isn't getting a fair go? I said it's disappointing (from my perspective) that he hasn't had more of an opportunity with the bat. I then went on to say I could understand if he got dropped.

Also, when did I say McCullum was unlucky as captain? He played ****, and his team played ****. but if you put KRR performing so poorly solely down to captaincy then you need help.

But hey mate, don't let what I actually said get in the way of you furthering your whinging.
Oh my, you called me a ******. How hilarious.

Heaps of players have got a rough deal, that's the whole point of why the IPL has a 4 intl player policy. To restrict teams playing all their intl guns, and hence coaches/team selectors have to make tough decisions. This is the Indian Premier League, not the NZ Premier League no matter how much your posts make it look like it is.

Ryder had his chances and didn't deliver. Taylor did. Hence why he's playing, and Ryder isn't. I was wanting Ryder to be in the team, but he's not performing, and Bangalore are still winning. Any one who knows anything about sport knows you don't change a winning combination unless absolutely necessary. A player who has done **** all doesn't qualify as an 'absolutely necessary' inclusion.

You aren't a guaranteed selection because you hold a NZ passport. Get used to it.

You act like Ryder is ****ing Gilchrist or Dhoni.

Smith

Banned

Ryder - 56 runs in 5 matches @ 11.20 SR - 114.28 ; 3 wickets @ 38, ER of 6.7

Are you joking? 5 matches is more than enough "run" in T20s, especially when International players are at a premium. I don't know what are you wingeing about, but there is nothing in his record that suggests he should have been permanent in the team. And if you call Kumble ********, then eat your hat because he has led this team abbreviated as Test team, to the finals, regardless of the fact that under KP, this was a laughing stock.

In Vettori's case, he played 7 matches, and took 7 wickets @ ER of 7.8, which is hardly earth shattering. Added to that, DD's internationals list was headed by Dave Warner, AB DeVilliers, Dilshan and Dirk Nannes. And Vettori had done nothing to break into the ranks of the top 4 there. Added to that was that Amit Mishra was performing much better than Vettori as the primary spinner. And Dilshan did give him good support as the secondary spinner. Again your claims of not picking Vettori as stupid is stupid in itself because DDs were the No.1 team till the semifinals.

Howsie

International Captain
Oh my, you called me a ******. How hilarious.

Heaps of players have got a rough deal, that's the whole point of why the IPL has a 4 intl player policy. To restrict teams playing all their intl guns, and hence coaches/team selectors have to make tough decisions. This is the Indian Premier League, not the NZ Premier League no matter how much your posts make it look like it is.

Ryder had his chances and didn't deliver. Taylor did. Hence why he's playing, and Ryder isn't. I was wanting Ryder to be in the team, but he's not performing, and Bangalore are still winning. Any one who knows anything about sport knows you don't change a winning combination unless absolutely necessary. A player who has done **** all doesn't qualify as an 'absolutely necessary' inclusion.

You aren't a guaranteed selection because you hold a NZ passport. Get used to it.

You act like Ryder is ****ing Gilchrist or Dhoni.
Ha, Dhoni wasn't that great in this years IPL. He basically lost the game for them yesterday.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You have the best #3 in the tourney and it is a crunch game.. So what do you do? drop him down to 4 and put yourselt at 3...

Stupid captaincy from Dhoni yesterday. Didn't give Murali a go when he shud have... Played ORam when he shud nto have.. messed with a firing batting order unnecessarily... And Gony is just a waste of space... He seems to be the bowling version of Uthappa...

And Delhi deserve to lose for not giving McGrath even a chance after qualfiying for the semis.. and not playing Vettori in a crunch game.. Vettori >>> Warner...

Both teams made stupid selections and deserved to lose for that, for me.

Go bangalore and deccan.. way to bounce back.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
No playing Warner ahead of Vettori was definitely the right decision, he's an awesome T20 bat and a great fielder, and Vettori had been ordinary bar the first game. Mcgrath should have played ahead of Nannes throughout the tournament IMO but apparently (according to Sehwag) he wasn't bowling as well as last year and his fitness was an issue, whether this was true or not we'll never know. Delhi lost because of their failure at the top of the order and an inability to apply pressure with the ball Amit Mishra aside, basically the problems they've had all tournament. Also when Gilchrist plays like that, there's not a whole lot you can do about it.

Dhoni did indeed have a poor game yesterday, Gony is the most overrated bowler I've ever seen (maybe Stuart Broad would compete with him), the guy couldn't take a wicket against bloody hong kong ffs. Promoting himself ahead of Raina was unnecessary and served no purpose, I'm really not sure what he hoped to achieve by this as he wasn't pinch hitting. He held Murali back for far too long, he has an excellent record against Dravid and you'd always back to outfox a 19yr old (even the 19yr old asked dravid to take the strike against him). Not sure why Tyagi didn't play ahead of Gony, been decent so far, has gotten some good players out. Oram perhaps should have been dropped for another international, apart from Thilan Thushara it's hard to see who could replace him though, Ntini is too one dimensional for this form of the game.

pasag

RTDAS
I honestly don't think much analysis or post-morteming should be done for Delhi and Chennai. They were both brilliant throughout the tournament and just had one bad match which unfortunatley was a knock out match. That's sport for you. The only change I'd make is for Chennai to recruit a high class fast bowler before IPL 3, other than that just keep doing what they've been doing till now.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden for MOTS, btw. Was head and shoulders above any other batsman in the tournament and was simply superb throughout.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There have been calls for a best of 3 series between the top 2 teams, rather than a simple knock out semi-finals. I can see the arguments for that, particularly since 'home advantage' doesn't exist when the tournament is played at a neutral country.

That being said, part of being a champion team is winning when it counts. When the IPL returns to India, the system will still favour the top 2 teams, and sometimes the best team of the season doesn't win. Happens in many other sports/leageus (eg. Happened to Geelong in last year's AFL grand final), and has happened in previous ODI World Cups too.

Its the nature of a finals/play-offs series. All you can do is give as much advantage/favouritism to the teams who do well throughout the regular season as possible. After that, its up to them.

Plus, Delhi and Chennai did enter the finals series in mediocre form. Hyderabad and Bangalore in particular, went into the finals series with momentum, and they won. That's how it goes.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Brilliant display from Pandey. Guess India unearthed yet another World class talent here. Hopefully he does go the distance and not just limit it to pointless T20s.
Must put it into context, he has hit two good knocks in succession and does not have great domestic figures yet.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and sometimes the best team of the season doesn't win. Happens in many other sports/leageus (eg. Happened to Geelong in last year's AFL grand final), and has happened in previous ODI World Cups too.
Yes, part of what makes serial winners what they are is how "clutch" they can be. Well done to Bangalore and the Chargers. The South looked the stronger part of the country this season, an excellent turnaround for them.