• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Australia 2020/21 - General discussion

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How did the Indian openers bowl? I see Yadav got Puc with short and wide filth although he’d been pretty economical to that point.
Yadav has been gun. Slightly down on pace from his best self, but great otherwise.

Siraj was fine but unthreatening, didn't really get any swing which takes him out of the game a bit. Tyagi bowling pies.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yadav has been gun. Slightly down on pace from his best self, but great otherwise.

Siraj was fine but unthreatening, didn't really get any swing which takes him out of the game a bit. Tyagi bowling pies.
Yeah that’s the worry with Siraj. But at least he can be somewhat relied on to not serve up pies.

Tyagi was picked because Porel got injured and he was a net bowler. I doubt he’s seriously 7/8th in line for a Test cap.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So how many does Harris need to score before the narrative is changed to "which of Burns or Pucovski opens with Harris"

I'm guessing 100 will lock in Langer's little brother

Burgey

Clever stuff here from both sides, with Aus A trying to guarantee Nostrils makes the test side, and India doing the same with Spud Harris.

morgieb

So how many does Harris need to score before the narrative is changed to "which of Burns or Pucovski opens with Harris"

I'm guessing 100 will lock in Langer's little brother
Next match matters but yeah a ton here will help his chances. Very lucky there's two A-team matches rather than just one.

If it's a case of him scoring runs in two A-team matches but the other two fail then I can see why the Oz selectors would go for it.

Daemon

You mean Australia aren't going to ignore everything in the lead up to the series for the results of an intra squad selection shootout match?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Unless he came in as cover for Warner (maybe he did?) I don't think Harris is actually even in the squad for the first Test. CA loves a kneejerk more than most, but all kneejerks must fit within their bureaucratic processes to be followed through on.

This will definitely be an unpopular opinion but I'd probably take Harris ahead of Burns anyway so I don't think it's all that disastrous. Ending up with a Harris-Burns opening combination would be pretty depressing though.

morgieb

You mean Australia aren't going to ignore everything in the lead up to the series for the results of an intra squad selection shootout match?
It is a very Langer move, I must admit. He needs to stand down from the selection panel. When there's lots of cricket the squad he picks is usually bang on, but in a 50/50 call he can pretty be relied upon to make the wrong decision.

I could probably handle Harris over Burns but I just can't see him making more than a cute 60 or 70, whereas Burns can at least be somewhat trusted to take advantage of a start. Harris over Pucovski would be daft TSTL, especially given Pucovski's shot that got him out was on.

morgieb

Unless he came in as cover for Warner (maybe he did?) I don't think Harris is actually even in the squad for the first Test. CA loves a kneejerk more than most, but all kneejerks must fit within their bureaucratic processes to be followed through on.

This will definitely be an unpopular opinion but I'd probably take Harris ahead of Burns anyway so I don't think it's all that disastrous. Ending up with a Harris-Burns opening combination would be pretty depressing though.
Forgot they named a Test squad, you're right in that sense. Still cover for Warner hasn't been nominated yet so.......

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nah Burns >>>> Harris. I mean, the kid has been utterly horrendous in tests.
Yeah I knew it'd be an unpopular opinion. I stand by it.

Harris was actually Australia's leading run-scorer last time India toured, and that makes up just shy of half of his career.

It's hard to imagine someone doing worse in those three away Ashes Tests than Harris (he averaged 9), but I think Burns might have managed with his technique.

He failed in the two home Tests against Sri Lanka when Burns cashed in, but you of all people should know home Tests against Sri Lanka don't really count.

I certainly wouldn't think it'd be a great thing if Harris was back in the team. I might judge his Test failures sliiiightly more leniently than most, but dropping him was the right call for sure, and if he's what was offered up it'd be pretty dire. But Burns playing annoys me just that little bit more.

morgieb

Nah Burns >>>> Harris. I mean, the kid has been utterly horrendous in tests.
I suppose playing devil's advocate here Burns has been equally as poor when we're playing against a good attack/on a bowler-friendly deck. If anything Harris probably did better in the India series than I would've expected Burns to.

The key difference rests in that Canberra Test against Sri Lanka - Harris flopped while Burns made a big match-defining ton. I think I rate Burns ahead of Harris because he can cash in when things are favourable, but when things aren't favourable there's really little to pick between them.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The key difference rests in that Canberra Test against Sri Lanka - Harris flopped while Burns made a big match-defining ton. I think I rate Burns ahead of Harris because he can cash in when things are favourable, but when things aren't favourable there's really little to pick between them.
This fair analysis makes Burns's recent self-assessment of "the pitches were too flat for me" to describe his poor Shield form even stranger though.

Incidentally, I don't even care that much about his recent Shield form. **** happens to good bats (he isn't one, but all the same) sometimes. His reaction to it is mental though.