• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Blaze 18

Banned
Rain all day tomorrow pleeeeease....
Haha, it would be great if that happens, eh ? Payback for 3rd Test: South Africa v India at Johannesburg, Jan 16-20, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Not too likely to happen, though - Pretoria Irene-10-day Extended Weather Forecasts - in.weather.com

If only MS Dhoni had stuck around for another fifteen minutes, India would have had a realistic chance of saving the game. Still, India can take a lot of positives from this game. They lost their best bowler to injury (only world-class bowler, perhaps) before the start of game, after which MS Dhoni lost yet another toss. That meant South African bowlers had the best of the conditions - not taking credit away from the South African bowlers; they bowled extremely well.

It was always going to be an uphill task after that. India didn't help themselves at all by bowling tripe - the pitch definitely had something in it, it is just that the Indian bowlers were not good enough to make use of what was on offer; unimaginative captaincy didn't help India's cause either. The way the batsmen fought back in the second innings means there is still hope, hope that India may still gone on to win the series. For them to do that though, they will need to do three things :

1) Say au revoir to Suresh Raina, get in C.Pujara or Murali Vijay.

2) Bring back Zaheer Khan in place of Unadkat - what does the dude do anyway ? No pace, no movement, no nothing.

3) Ask Harbhajan Singh to watch a few clips of Paul Harris bowling to the Indian batsmen.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Haha, it would be great if that happens, eh ? Payback for 3rd Test: South Africa v India at Johannesburg, Jan 16-20, 1997 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Not too likely to happen, though - Pretoria Irene-10-day Extended Weather Forecasts - in.weather.com

If only MS Dhoni had stuck around for another fifteen minutes, India would have had a realistic chance of saving the game. Still, India can take a lot of positives from this game. They lost their best bowler to injury (only world-class bowler, perhaps) before the start of game, after which MS Dhoni lost yet another toss. That meant South African bowlers had the best of the conditions - not taking credit away from the South African bowlers; they bowled extremely well.

It was always going to be an uphill task after that. India didn't help themselves at all by bowling tripe - the pitch definitely had something in it, it is just that the Indian bowlers were not good enough to make use of what was on offer; unimaginative captaincy didn't help India's cause either. The way the batsmen fought back in the second innings means there is still hope, hope that India may still gone on to win the series. For them to do that though, they will need to do three things :

1) Say au revoir to Suresh Raina, get in C.Pujara or Murali Vijay.

2) Bring back Zaheer Khan in place of Unadkat - what does the dude do anyway ? No pace, no movement, no nothing.

3) Ask Harbhajan Singh to watch a few clips of Paul Harris bowling to the Indian batsmen.
raina got out as if he was giving catching practice. Why is that guy in the team????

Blaze 18

Banned
raina got out as if he was giving catching practice. Why is that guy in the team????
He was only picked as a stop-gap replacement for Yuvraj Singh during the Sri Lankan series. The dude ended up getting a crucial century on debut - India would have lost that series if they had lost that test, and India were in trouble when he walked in to bat. That said, he should never have been picked for this series. It is clear that he cannot play the short-ball to save his life. It beats me why he was picked over more technically accomplished batsmen like C.Pujara, Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was only picked as a stop-gap replacement for Yuvraj Singh during the Sri Lankan series. The dude ended up getting a crucial century on debut - India would have lost that series if they had lost that test, and India were in trouble when he walked in to bat. That said, he should never have been picked for this series. It is clear that he cannot play the short-ball to save his life. It beats me why he was picked over more technically accomplished batsmen like C.Pujara, Virat Kohli and Murali Vijay.
Yeah, Raina should always get some credit for his crucial knocks in SL, but my God, the guy is way way out of his depth over here.

Dissector

International Debutant
Personally I would be happy if India can draw the series 1-1. A series win is now probably out of reach but clawing back a win should be possible if Zaheer comes back and Dhoni can win some fricking tosses.

vcs

This was a brilliant innings TBF. If even with his unorthodox/dodgy technique, he can bat positively against this attack, the likes of Raina should be taking lessons.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This was a brilliant innings TBF. If even with his unorthodox/dodgy technique, he can bat positively against this attack, the likes of Raina should be taking lessons.
Dhoni is a much better batsman than he looks. He plays intelligently and scores some useful runs against good attacks too. I remember on last tour to South Africa too he played some intelligent knocks (not sure it was in tests or ODIs)

Technique is of course overrated. A Dhoni will look ugly even when he middles. A Raina will look better even if he is beaten all ends up. But it doesn't matter a bit if Dhoni can stand up against SA pace bowlers in SA.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
I was expecting Steyn to crank up the pace and have a go under fading light. Dhoni should have let that bouncer go or taken a body blow. A couple more overs and India would have had a real chance of fighting for a draw.

But to be very honest. They have not bowled well enough to deserve anything. The batting collapse was understandable - without taking much credit away from Steyn and Morkell, there were some excuses that could be made for the Indian batsmen. Like lack of tour matches, losing the toss on a very damp wicket etc etc. They have even managed to claw their way back a bit in the second innings. But India should have definitely taken more than 4 wickets and letting SA score at that rate was criminal. SA won't have a chance of a result in this game, if they had scored slower. You didn't need significantly better bowlers to achieve that. It was poor captaincy, poor fielding and horrible bowling for two days. I don't see how a draw would be a fair result.

Pujara for Raina would be a definite improvement for the batting unit that has already proved that they can take on the SA bowlers. Also good to see Sehwag and Gambir get some runs on the board.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Won't call it brilliant tbh, but still very good.

vcs

Before I go to sleep, my prediction for the day is that both these batsman will get to 100, but SA will pick up a bagful of wickets before COP, one of the centurions will remain not out and my guess is Tendulkar.
Pretty close.

Blaze 18

Banned
I was expecting Steyn to crank up the pace and have a go under fading light. Dhoni should have let that bouncer go or taken a body blow. A couple more overs and India would have had a real chance of fighting for a draw.

But to be very honest. They have not bowled well enough to deserve anything. The batting collapse was understandable - without taking much credit away from Steyn and Morkell, there were some excuses that could be made for the Indian batsmen. Like lack of tour matches, losing the toss on a very damp wicket etc etc. They have even managed to claw their way back a bit in the second innings. But India should have definitely taken more than 4 wickets and letting SA score at that rate was criminal. SA won't have a chance of a result in this game, if they had scored slower. You didn't need significantly better bowlers to achieve that. It was poor captaincy, poor fielding and horrible bowling for two days. I don't see how a draw would be a fair result.

Pujara for Raina would be a definite improvement for the batting unit that has already proved that they can take on the SA bowlers. Also good to see Sehwag and Gambir get some runs on the board.
Very succinctly put.

Blaze 18

Banned
Personally I would be happy if India can draw the series 1-1. A series win is now probably out of reach but clawing back a win should be possible if Zaheer comes back and Dhoni can win some fricking tosses.
Yeah, it is hard to see India winning the series from here. It is precisely why the first match of a three test series is so crucial - lose one and there is little chance of a comeback. I can't see the series ending in a draw ; all three matches will have results (assuming there is no rain).