• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
yeah but they didn't have 4 great bowlers together at one time. Waqar was declining very quickly by 99 when shoaib was coming in. And mushie was getting bad when saqi was coming in.
Pak had Akram, Waqar, Aqib and Mushi playing at the same time...only for Waqar to get injured and not make it to the world cup..but early 90s this was an amazing attack...later Akhtar joined and Saqi joined with Waqar and Akram...not a bad attack over all.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, I was so damn close. I told an Indian work colleague yesterday that SA would win the toss and bowl Indian out for 120 on the 1st day.

Weather may save Indian in this 1st test yet, the forecast isn't looking too flash from all reports

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pak had Akram, Waqar, Aqib and Mushi playing at the same time...only for Waqar to get injured and not make it to the world cup..but early 90s this was an amazing attack...later Akhtar joined and Saqi joined with Waqar and Akram...not a bad attack over all.
Against West Indies in 1990-1, they fielded Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Imran Khan, Mushtaq Ahmed and Abdul Qadir. Granted, Imran wasn't the bowler of 10 years earlier but still that attack was ****ing awesome.

Edit - evidence:

1st Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Karachi, Nov 15-20, 1990 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Howe_zat

Audio File
Oddly appropriate for today, that Pakistan - WI series. A 3-match battle for the title of best team in the world, while a one-sided Ashes series with the 3rd & 4th sides is going on.

Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Qadir, Mushy vs Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop... and I missed it :(

Mike5181

International Captain
Oddly appropriate for today, that Pakistan - WI series. A 3-match battle for the title of best team in the world, while a one-sided Ashes series with the 3rd & 4th sides is going on.

Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Qadir, Mushy vs Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Bishop... and I missed it :(
Steyn, Morkel vs Sreesanth? Sharma?

Woodster

International Captain
No great surprises for me with how the first day went. No tour games, and India have been caught absolutely cold unable to handle the bounce, pace and bit of movement on offer from Steyn and Morkel.

Both of these two were outstanding. None of the top six, barring Tendulkar, had a clue what to do with them. Things a bit different for Sehwag and co, not able to just throw your hands through the ball on these pitches that offer a bit. No Indian player averages over 40 with the bat in SA.

Tsotsobe was attacked as the appreciably weaker bowler in the attack. Parnell's return to fitness cannot come quick enough for SA, and also Friedel de Wet, remember him being potent against England last winter.

Burgey

Disgusted at myself for not staying up to see Gambhir. Would have been worth the extra tiredness.

Burgey

:laugh:

India got sent in on a juicy pitch in South Africa after a massive rain delay, then lost one of their openers for a duck and people are complaining about the scoring rate. Worse still, they're having a go at the batsman striking at 35 rather than the one striking at 11.

Dire shot from Gambhir just now. Terrible innings. 'Out' three times, faced 46 balls and still only scored 5.
Can someone please put it on YouTube?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, India would have gotten a ton if the wicket wasn't so dodgy. These tailor made designer wickets - it's cheating I tell ya.

Burgey

Had a jacket and jeans on. Maybe my camera gave it away? Anyways, SA's ****ing cold as hell :/ The safaris are incredible though, really beautiful.
Been to Cape Town yet mate? Such a beautiful town.

Zinzan

No great surprises for me with how the first day went. No tour games, and India have been caught absolutely cold unable to handle the bounce, pace and bit of movement on offer from Steyn and Morkel.

Both of these two were outstanding. None of the top six, barring Tendulkar, had a clue what to do with them. Things a bit different for Sehwag and co, not able to just throw your hands through the ball on these pitches that offer a bit. No Indian player averages over 40 with the bat in SA.
Entirely agree with the above. South Africa managed to adapt to Indian conditions enough for a drawn series (bloody close to winning it incidentally), so it will be interesting if India adapt to SA conditions. I've been questioning their bowling attack for a while now, so will be interested in whether they can can return the compliment & dismiss SA cheaply today.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
India 136/9. I'm feeling slightly better at our efforts now :laugh:
As I said last time someone came into this thread to make that point, if Australia batted as badly as they did yesterday on this pitch against this attack, they'd have been rolled for about 70.

morgieb

As I said last time someone came into this thread to make that point, if Australia batted as badly as they did yesterday on this pitch against this attack, they'd have been rolled for about 70.
Yeah I don't doubt we probably would've. However, their batting lineup > ours and I was sorta trolling. :p

TumTum

Banned
Hughes averages more in SA than any Indian batsman :ph34r: Clearly they should be learning how to play short pitched bowling from him. Sachin should organize another lunch with Hughes for getting tips :ph34r:

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Said in the Pak RSA thread that since Lopsy has started doing a Nathan Bracken and just bowling cutters and slower balls, he shouldn’t be in the test reckoning. Would have gone horses for courses and got Ethy Mbhalati into the side. Mbhalati’s home ground and he is good form. Just a shame he is injured then...Outside Ethy, de Wet could have been an option but he doesn’t bowl more than 10 overs a day at present, neither does Alexander and Parnell hasn’t played a first class game in donkey’s years. Just leaves Ryan McLaren or Pro…

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir see Morkel's pocket. Also had to laugh at Laxman's dismissal, was pure ownage, didn't have a clue.

Won't rain today or tomorrow, maybe get afternoon showers on Sunday and scattered t-storms on Monday. So looking at least 250 overs left in the game.

Hope India bat for an hour or so today, don't add runs mind but just let the sun bake the wicket.