• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
After he survived that Morkel over before lunch (that was an awesome bit of bowling), he shouldn't have got out to Tsotsobe.
I Agree.

He threw it away to Tsotsobe.

But he wasn't looking too shaky before it.

Even in that Morkel over 3 balls belonged to him and 3 to Morkel.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly Sach was doing fine (accept maybe the last 2 balls before lunch where he got caught in the moment a bit and lost his focus). I don't see anything wrong with going for those uppercut shots on this kind of pitch. Even that 4th ball of Morkel's over before lunch (where he played the pull) was worth a go. Smith had put a 3rd man due to Sach playing the uppercut the ball before (and in the previous Morkel over) and there was no mid on. I honestly saw the pull shot coming if Morkel went for another short ball (which he did). It was definitely worth a go since there wasn't a mid-on and had he connected it would have been 4.

He looked fine until he got out to such a loose shot after lunch.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Looking at the pitch and the conditions i think there will be an even contest between bat and ball for the entire match.So a total of 250 or above is par i guess. Well just hope the indian bowlers utilize the conditions when they get the chance.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Smith's defensive, but hard to match dhoni's high standards tbf.
lol.. Dhoni, I am SURE, will not have a deep cover when the opposition is 70/3 and a new batsman just walked in.

The thing with Dhoni's captaincy is that when he attacks, he attacks FULLY and when he decides to be defensive, it is usually token slip + 4 in the deep defensive.. He doesn't really have a middle path. Smith, OTOH.... Well him and Sanga are just stupidly defensive,AFAIC.. I am sure even if Smith had the Windies attack of the 80s, he would still put a deep cover for Laxman.. The stupidest theory doing the rounds in international cricket has got to be the fact that Indians don't like running much and that they would get themselves out if their good shots don't find the boundaries... Ponting found that it blew in his face (as do most of his captaincy decisions anyways :laugh: ) ..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Considering how impregnable his defensive technique has looked lately, I can't understand why he looked in such a hurry yesterday. I think he just didn't trust himself to hang in there long enough to grind bowlers down on this wicket.
Honestly think he had the right idea.. I just do not see anyone surviving too long on this track.. YOu are bound to get a beast of a delivery sooner or later, esp. with Steyn in the opposition.. Unlike the last day of the last test, I think Sachin was spot on this time... :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was just a lazy shot after lunch before he 'switched on'. But TBF to him can't remember the last time in the last 12 months where he gave it away so easily.
Nah.. It is obvious he is not his early 90s self anymore.. Back then, he would come in and take the attack to the opposition straightaway if he wanted to... But he is more of a Kallis, Dravid type batter these days but better, coz he can keep rotating the strike unlike those two who tend to get stuck IMO.. But I do think his ideas were right.. This is the sort of a pitch you gotta go and take your chances, esp. when you feel the ball is in your half. That said, it was a poor shot because I don't think he could have gotten a boundary in any case of that sort of delivery, unless there was no second slip and you nicked it through to third man..

The execution may have been an issue but I don't think his strategy was wrong at all..

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Luckily I saw some of the cricket yesterday.

After reading some of the posts here I would have assumed India was in total control.

Quaggas

State Captain
Nah.. It is obvious he is not his early 90s self anymore.. Back then, he would come in and take the attack to the opposition straightaway if he wanted to... But he is more of a Kallis, Dravid type batter these days but better, coz he can keep rotating the strike unlike those two who tend to get stuck IMO.. But I do think his ideas were right.. This is the sort of a pitch you gotta go and take your chances, esp. when you feel the ball is in your half. That said, it was a poor shot because I don't think he could have gotten a boundary in any case of that sort of delivery, unless there was no second slip and you nicked it through to third man..

The execution may have been an issue but I don't think his strategy was wrong at all..
:laugh:

"I don't know why I bother, sometimes....."

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Saw the pitch report-

And Damn!!!! Just as feared the sun is out today and the wind is blowing from the north east.

Shaun Pollock reckoned that the ball won't swing as much today .And after the first hour today (in which India will be batting in any case) it will be good batting conditions.

Nothing seems to be working for India this series in terms of luck.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well it looks like India have to do catch up again in this test. Damn!!! this is turning out to be a nightmare for India. Just hope Dhoni gets us to atleast 250