• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
First of all, Mongia is pretty good in the field and is a very handy bowler. Agarkar has been one of our best bowlers this past season and a very good outfielder but he might miss some action now. VRV Singh is irrelevant to VVS Laxman.

Now, I agree that Laxman should get a recall especially if Yuvraj proves to be out for a long period. We need a middle-order stalwart to give company to Dravid. Mongia, Raina and Kaif are at best middle-order support acts right now. They should remain in the squad, but Laxman should be brought in after the tour of South Africa. Let's hope he doesn't pull a stinker in the tests and screw himself over.
Dinesh, picked over VVS Laxman, is no Jonty Rhodes or even Suresh Raina on the field, and his batting isn't anything special. In the last two matches he's played, he's looked scratchy and his running between wickets is dreadful– Laxman, despite lack of running speed, judges a run better. Let's not even talk of his bowling– it's as useful as VVS Laxman's, and he too is practising his bowling. We've heard that line "His fitness is not up to the mark" so the selection of Agarkar (out with an injured thumb) and VRV Singh (perpetually carrying an injury) ahead of him is questionable. As for the middle-order support acts, we can't expect much from Kaif, and not much can be said of Raina unless he's thrown into the deep end regularly.

p.s. I'm seeing four stars repeatedly. Is someone here in a foul mood?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid said:
I feel for Jaffer who's going to be the next victim of the Indian media after he fails. The Indian media doesn't leave anyone alone
Those fools who take Chappell's team further backward with every selection deserve it more than Jaffer.

Dravid

International Captain
Just saw on the news. Laxman, who hasn't played a ODI match for a while, and barely any test matches, is still under contract by the BCCI. I mean I would love to see him play, but he isn't, and he is still under the A contract. It's interesting how he's making so much money and he isn't even playing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Just saw on the news. Laxman, who hasn't played a ODI match for a while, and barely any test matches, is still under contract by the BCCI. I mean I would love to see him play, but he isn't, and he is still under the A contract. It's interesting how he's making so much money and he isn't even playing.

He would make a lot more money if he was actually in the ODI team, because he would get the endorsement that come with the higher profile. That money would dwarf whatever the BCCI is paying him.

Dravid

International Captain
I read somewhere that he made like 70,000 rupees for every run he made. Must have been endorsements. And plus his contract is probably for like 7-8 CR from BCCI right? And I there was a point in my life where I thought Cricketers hardly made any money compared to American sports.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
I read somewhere that he made like 70,000 rupees for every run he made. Must have been endorsements. And plus his contract is probably for like 7-8 CR from BCCI right? And I there was a point in my life where I thought Cricketers hardly made any money compared to American sports.

His contract from the BCCI is probably around 1 crore. Group 'A' makes 50 lakh base pay, and in addition makes 2.5lakh per test and 1.5lakh per ODI. So, around 1 crore total.

And he has made more than 70,000 rupees per run, probably somewhere around 100,000 rupees per run (approx. $2,000 US dollars to non-Indian fans). Minimum, probably more.

But even so, his career earnings are less than what Tiger Woods makes in one year.

Also Sachin is the exceptions. Only the popular stars make great living, and that mainly from their endorsements.

If you don't get endorsements, you won't be all that rich.

Last edited:

Dravid

International Captain
Are you sure Sachin makes 1 cr? Because I know I saw somewhere that Bhaji makes 1 cr a year, and I'm sure Sachin would make more than him on his contract.

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:
And he has made more than 70,000 rupees per run, probably somewhere around 100,000 rupees per run (approx. $2,000 US dollars to non-Indian fans). Minimum, probably more.

But even so, his career earnings are less than what Tiger Woods makes in one year.
Tiger Woods has his own game. He gets more endorsements than anyone I think.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Talk in the South African media that Nantie Hayward is inline for reselection for the test series. With Andre Nel out of form and Pollock losing his new ball reasonability, South Africa are mulling over the thought of having a genuine strike bowler at second change, with Pollock and Kallis providing the ‘control’ with the older ball. Not a bad thought, haven’t seen Hayward bowl in years but supposedly his in good form at the moment (Goughy?) and there is the perceieved thought that his pace and bounce will trouble the Indians no end.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dravid said:
Are you sure Sachin makes 1 cr? Because I know I saw somewhere that Bhaji makes 1 cr a year, and I'm sure Sachin would make more than him on his contract.
The following people have the 'A' grade contracts and make the same account:

Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Anil Kumble, V V S Laxman, Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh and Irfan Pathan

So no, Sachin does not make more than Harbhajan in his contract from the BCCI as they are in the same grade.*

* However, if Harbhajan plays less matches than Sachin, then the total amount of money he makes is less. But if both play equal number of matches, they would make an equal amount.

However, per media reports, the total amount Sachin Tendulkar makes per year comes out to be around 61 crores, which turns out to be around $13.5million USD per year.

Which is pretty good, he'd fit right into the Yankee lineup ;).

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:

Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Anil Kumble, V V S Laxman, Sourav Ganguly, Harbhajan Singh and Irfan Pathan

So no, Sachin does not make more than Harbhajan in his contract from the BCCI as they are in the same grade.*

* However, if Harbhajan plays less matches than Sachin, then the total amount of money he makes is less. But if both play equal number of matches, they would make an equal amount.

However, per media reports, the total amount Sachin Tendulkar makes per year comes out to be around 61 crores, which turns out to be around $13.5million USD per year.

Soon he'll be fitting the Blue Jay lineup too...it is estimated Toronto's payroll is gonna exceed that of New York's by 2009......Ted Rogers is giving us loads of money each year. We'll also then kick out New York from playoff contention.

R_D

International Debutant
TT Boy said:
Talk in the South African media that Nantie Hayward is inline for reselection for the test series. With Andre Nel out of form and Pollock losing his new ball reasonability, South Africa are mulling over the thought of having a genuine strike bowler at second change, with Pollock and Kallis providing the ‘control’ with the older ball. Not a bad thought, haven’t seen Hayward bowl in years but supposedly his in good form at the moment (Goughy?) and there is the perceieved thought that his pace and bounce will trouble the Indians no end.
I remember Hayward... used to spray the ball around a fair bit but he does have pace and gets the bounce which mightl trouble fair few indians.

adharcric

International Coach
TT Boy said:
So would that give the Saffies a pace battery of Ntini, Nel, Pollock, Steyn and Hayward?

Dravid

International Captain
silentstriker said:

60 cr is the same amount as 13 mil, but in India 60 cr seems to be much more money than 13 mil in US.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
So would that give the Saffies a pace battery of Ntini, Nel, Pollock, Steyn and Hayward?
No it would be Hayward for Nel, pace attack would be Ntini, Steyn, Hayward, Pollock and Kallis. Possibly Kemp if he is recalled.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I remember Nantie Hayward - they called him "wayward Hayward" and he walked out on SA to join Worcestershire if I remember right. Surprised they forgave him -and do SA need five pace bowlers? Even if you drop Nel that leaves you with Ntini, Steyn, Kallis and Pollock - ain't that enough? PS - what happened to Ngam? they called him "black thunder" he had three good Tests in 2000-01 and then always seemed to be injured - did he ever play again in domestic cricket or is he still injured?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Can't help thinking Friedel de Wet would be a better pick in that case. 31 wickets @ 18.29 in 5 top-level FC matches last year, 13 OD wickets this year (at a Saj-esque economy rate mind), and "reliably quicker than Dale Steyn" according to Goughy.

As for Ngam, he's playing second tier cricket for Eastern Province. Tried to come back from injury but ended with an average of 60 in domestic FC cricket and the Warriors got Hayward (and a young chap called Lonwabo Tsotsobe) as replacement. Should be unleashed on KwaZulu-Natal Inland later today, in fact. (which will not be pretty. KZN Inland = awful.)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Arjun said:
Now VVS Laxman is disappointed at being left out. Fair point, since he's got the ability to build a long innings, and none of the batsmen, bar Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid and maybe Yuvraj have. Moreover, his slip-fielding is the best in the team, and while he's not too good on the outfield, nor is Dinesh Mongia. The selection of Mongia over Laxman is another blooper that shows the enemy is not from Down Under, but from within. What say, Laxman not match-fit? Mongia himself doesn't look match-fit, nor do Agarkar and VR Singh!
Laxman should just leave India and move to Australia. He's loved here far more than in India.