• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2017/18

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If they had to abandon this match it would be one of the most embarrassing circumstances in SA cricket since readmission... I repeat this pitch was most definitely not required for SA pace attack and the Wanderers should have been left as normal. I hope CSA and the team learn from this.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is great batting by these two btw. These are some of the most difficult conditions I've seen since that 2015 India tour.

StephenZA

Kohli the batsmen has been top class this series.... as good a batting as you are likely to see anywhere.

Daemon

Call if off imo. There's still another innings to go. At the very least someone will fracture a hand. Ribs also in danger.

vcs

Man, if only this version of Vijay had showed up earlier in the series, we might have been level.

StephenZA

If they stop it'll be a huge shame. This has been a fascinating test.
I'm actually not enjoying this... no tension or competition for me. Yes great batting, but there is just a little to much luck involved.

Is this what happens when you choose a WI coach?

OverratedSanity

SA have been pretty loose this session with some of these half volleys. Wish the outfield was a bit better, we'd have had a few more.

Stefan9

International Debutant
If they had to abandon this match it would be one of the most embarrassing circumstances in SA cricket since readmission... I repeat this pitch was most definitely not required for SA pace attack and the Wanderers should have been left as normal. I hope CSA and the team learn from this.
What should the team learn? Faf asked for a pitch with pace & bounce , not this. Is he to blame for curator being incompetent?

Faf will be very disappointed in both pitches prepared for the last 2 tests.

StephenZA

What should the team learn? Faf asked for a pitch with pace & bounce , not this. Is he to blame for curator being incompetent?

Faf will be very disappointed in both pitches prepared for the last 2 tests.
Rather than just letting the curator get on with their work, Faf (and co) has put them under extreme pressure to ensure that he gets the pitch he wants. Leaving more grass on the pitch than normal, more watering to make the grass green etc. If you felt you were being put under pressure to ensure that the pitch was a seamer, you are more likely to make misjudgments and over compensate. The Nagpur pitch last year was the same, Indian management put pressure on the curator to create a turning pitch and he under prepared it. You have somebody breathing over your shoulder, publicly, more likely to make mistakes.

So my personal opinion is that the curators have behaved differently than what they would normally have because of the pressure, and the SA management and CSA must take some responsibility.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Rather than just letting the curator get on with their work, Faf (and co) has put them under extreme pressure to ensure that he gets the pitch he wants. Leaving more grass on the pitch than normal, more watering to make the grass green etc. If you felt you were being put under pressure to ensure that the pitch was a seamer, you are more likely to make misjudgments and over compensate. The Nagpur pitch last year was the same, Indian management put pressure on the curator to create a turning pitch and he under prepared it. You have somebody breathing over your shoulder, publicly, more likely to make mistakes.

So my personal opinion is that the curators have behaved differently than what they would normally have because of the pressure, and the SA management and CSA must take some responsibility.
And what's worse is that I don't think this pitch was what Faf had in mind..just like the second test pitch.