• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Really, what would the BCCI lose if they let ICL players play international cricket? I can't work out how that would hurt them in any way.
Then you're clearly not that intelligent.

The BCCI I makes money off the IPL, party (read mainly) because of its high profile players.

I'm now a high profile cricketer. I want to join a 2020 team and play international cricket:

"Hmm, ICL is offering me 300,000. IPL is offering me 280,000."

If I was allowed to still play international cricket and the ICL then I would go there, detracting from the spectacle of the IPL. As it stands at the moment, I would go to the IPL, so that I can still play for the BCs."

Pretty god damn obvious tbh.

Polo23

International Debutant
They are promoting a brand which has placed itself directly as a competitor to the BCCI.
Disagree with that. The ICL seem more than happy to work something out with the BCCI, but the BCCI want nothing to do with it.

And it still comes back to the fact that the BCCI have detracted from the game and are on some kind of power trip.

Polo23

International Debutant
Then you're clearly not that intelligent.

The BCCI I makes money off the IPL, party (read mainly) because of its high profile players.

I'm now a high profile cricketer. I want to join a 2020 team and play international cricket:

"Hmm, ICL is offering me 300,000. IPL is offering me 280,000."

If I was allowed to still play international cricket and the ICL then I would go there, detracting from the spectacle of the IPL. As it stands at the moment, I would go to the IPL, so that I can still play for the BCs."

Pretty god damn obvious tbh.
Yet from all reports every high profile IPL player is earning more money than any ICL player. Go figure.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No but Zee has deep pockets if the BCCI let them practice their league without repurcussion then they could try and outbid all the IPL teams for their best players and devalue that competition and as Jimmy said eat into their revenue.

masterblaster

International Captain
Jimmy and Duffer are absolutely correct and it makes perfect business sense for the BCCI to protect their main brand. What Duffer said about the ICL then potentially outbidding the IPL and robbing it of it's star players is pretty much spot on and this would be a huge threat to the BCCI. I think posters the likes of Polo and Flem are thinking purely as cricket fans, when clearly the issue is a business related one.

biased indian

International Coach
Not to mention that the two compete directly for crowds, tv audiences, sponsorship etc.
wrong there ...IPL is set to break last years revenue record this time

where as ICL what ever i saw last time was showing more than half of the ads related to ZEE networks Tv serial and shows...also the ground hoarding was like that

Edit: actually i thought you were supporting ICL :)

Last edited:

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant

where as ICL what ever i saw last time was showing more than half of the ads related to ZEE networks Tv serial and shows...also the ground hoarding was like that
I see no reason why you're statement makes me wrong.

masterblaster

International Captain

Still doesn't change the fact that the two are in direct competition. It's not just about television advertising, it's also print media, internet media, sponsorships, brand awareness and everything in between.

Flem274*

123/5
That would be grossly unfair to all the domestic cricketers playing in the ICL. I don't think the BCCI would care if the ICL poached only overseas has-beens, that would make the ICL just another daddies league like beach cricket. Its their poaching of domestic players that is the problem.
If the domestic guys were frogiven if they quit, but banned from everything possible if they stayed with the ICL, then things would be a lot smoother.

And commentator bans are overkill. I just flat out disagree with it. players, who are the actual commodities in cricket, are fair game, but commentators? I just get sooo bored with the bitchiness.

masterblaster

International Captain
If the domestic guys were frogiven if they quit, but banned from everything possible if they stayed with the ICL, then things would be a lot smoother.

And commentator bans are overkill. I just flat out disagree with it. players, who are the actual commodities in cricket, are fair game, but commentators? I just get sooo bored with the bitchiness.
I guess it's more about the principles than the actual commentator ban and I don't think it's anything personal against Craig McMillan. It's the principle that the BCCI want absolutely nothing to do with the ICL and for that I don't blame them.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm amazed they can be bothered stopping commentators, as I said, it just draws more attention to the stupid 20/20 thing when they break new ground in whose banned this week.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Disagree with that. The ICL seem more than happy to work something out with the BCCI, but the BCCI want nothing to do with it.
It doesn't work that way though. If you live with your parents, and they forbid you from doing drugs, and you go buy a stash of weed anyway, you don't just walk up to them and say its already done, so lets work out a deal that'll let me keep it anyway. There are some things you can't compromise on.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Styris brought in as cover for Thompson, who has bruised his thumb.

Oh, please, let Thompson's thumb be very sore tomorrow!

Love to see Scott back in the team, tbh.