• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2013/14

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be alone in my opinion that I still saw plenty to like in Sodhi's bowling - particularly the drift that he got at times (e.g. Saturday afternoon, but saw precious little of it yesterday) and that he actually turned his leg break. He was always going to get slaughtered bowling to Kohli in particular though (and Dhoni and Pujara too). I liked that McCullum showed some faith in Sodhi and backed him, but aside from his 1+ four-balls per over it was the way that he couldn't land his legbreak at all when the pressure went on that is the real problem - hello 15-run over. He can't play in Wellington - we can't afford that luxury. Not sure what to do for a spinner to the WI, if we want to gamble on Sodhi or go for a finger-spinner.
Sodhi just never should've been selected in the first place. He should've been told, "Look we reckon India's biggest vulenerability is to pace, so we're going to leave you on the sidelines for this series and go with 4 pacers, but you're an absolute lock for the team when we tour the West Indies in May." Now I almost think he has to be picked, as dropping him would send him the rather dispiriting message "If we pick you we're worried that you'll compromise the team's chances, despite the fact that Southee, Boult and Wagner obviously have no problems taking wickets."

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Just more on the Ryder and Bracewell situation that makes me distrust Bracewell even more.

"Black Caps security manager Sam Dickason is still piecing together the events of the night, which is complicated by Ryder currently playing for Otago and Bracewell being back home in Napier with a confirmed broken bone in his foot. NZC are investigating reports

Bracewell suffered other injuries on the night, and there are questions as to whether he was involved in a fight. As of last night, no complaint had been laid by any member of the public."

So how does "I slipped on a curb trying to stop someone kicking Jesse" involve a broken hand?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be interesting to see if that turns into a disgraceful piss-up like the 7s or whether people actually turn up for the League. I'm not optimistic.
I'm thinking it's going to be even worse. I'll be avoiding that whole area all weekend.

Blocky

Banned
I think All Black tests sell out almost every time.
That'd be the only thing though, Super Rugby is dismal and very rarely gets a turn out. Problem for most Aucklander's is that they hate public transport and Eden Park isn't that easy to get to and park. No excuse but it's a good reason why people choose the stay at home option, that and the fact that $45 ticket prices are too stupid to believe considering how few we get to the ground.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think India might've found a serious weakness in Anderson's technique. He repeatedly looked enormously vulnerable to the right handers bringing the ball back into him from around the wicket. Whether or not he was out in the first innings, he was still well and truely beaten on the inside edge by Ishant, and it wasn't the first time that that had happened in his innings. And in the second innings Shami had no hesitation in coming around the wicket to him immediately, with instant success.
Sodhi just never should've been selected in the first place. He should've been told, "Look we reckon India's biggest vulenerability is to pace, so we're going to leave you on the sidelines for this series and go with 4 pacers, but you're an absolute lock for the team when we tour the West Indies in May." Now I almost think he has to be picked, as dropping him would send him the rather dispiriting message "If we pick you we're worried that you'll compromise the team's chances, despite the fact that Southee, Boult and Wagner obviously have no problems taking wickets."
awta both. I guess with Sodhi, this is the reason why most of us are usually against the inclusion of v. young promising players that haven't proven themselves at domestic level and don't really deserve to play for NZ (Southee another one, even if it's turned out well in the end). It's a leap of faith but one that soon enough leaves the selectors in a very awkward position. At some point the young guy gets dropped and is left dislocated back in the domestic scene to start again.

Anderson vs pace was always going to be the difficult test for him. It's a good time for him to come into the side though - at the moment is arriving at the crease most times with the side in a reasonable position and can play the way he wants to play. Should continue to score runs against the older ball, hopefully against spin too, and will gradually improve his performance against more difficult pace bowling with the newer ball.

_Ed_

That'd be the only thing though, Super Rugby is dismal and very rarely gets a turn out. Problem for most Aucklander's is that they hate public transport and Eden Park isn't that easy to get to and park. No excuse but it's a good reason why people choose the stay at home option, that and the fact that $45 ticket prices are too stupid to believe considering how few we get to the ground.
Yeah, that's possibly right.

But I think we're pretty bandwagony as well. Any consistent success and we're there. During the Breakers' three-peat, almost every one of their games sold out days in advance. And thousands went down to the wharf to watch the America's Cup on the big screen. I think the crowds will come back if the Blues ever make the Super Rugby play-offs again, and I hope that support might come to the cricket team soon too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is, even if Auckland somehow got 15,000 in for a test, it'd still look horribly empty at Eden Park. You really need 30,000 plus to create the impression of a big crowd.

Blocky

Banned
awta both. I guess with Sodhi, this is the reason why most of us are usually against the inclusion of v. young promising players that haven't proven themselves at domestic level and don't really deserve to play for NZ (Southee another one, even if it's turned out well in the end). It's a leap of faith but one that soon enough leaves the selectors in a very awkward position. At some point the young guy gets dropped and is left dislocated back in the domestic scene to start again.

Anderson vs pace was always going to be the difficult test for him. It's a good time for him to come into the side though - at the moment is arriving at the crease most times with the side in a reasonable position and can play the way he wants to play. Should continue to score runs against the older ball, hopefully against spin too, and will gradually improve his performance against more difficult pace bowling with the newer ball.
I thought he looked unhurried, confident and easy in the first innings. I think the match situation and pressure on him stifled his gameplay in the second innings. He wasn't looking to crash balls through midwicket with his pull shot like he did and never really got himself underway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
India didn't bowl NZ out for 100.

They got Rutherford for a duck, then you saw Fulton play a bad shot, Williamson play a bad shot, Taylor brain explode and run McCullum out. I take your point that the scoreboard read 100 all out but that was more due to NZ imploding than India being threatening with the ball. They're not a great side away from home and never really have been consistently, because they've never had a seam bowling unit. They've had one or two good seamers and a heavy reliance on spin.
Awesome way to give no credit to the opposition.

And you constantly saying India isn't "great" away from home is like saying the sky is blue. No one is saying that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I was more than happy to pay $93 for 5 days when I decided I was coming. Then I saw the early bird price and was stoked.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
$93 for the whole match is good, no doubt about it. But if I'm rocking up on the Sunday, and it's all I can manage, no way do I want to pay $45 bucks. At an English ground it's 50-60 maybe even 100 quid for a Test, depending on the opposition, but that's based on the age old model of supply and demand - basically that English crowds turn up in numbers. They're also allowed to bring a certain amount of their own drinks in for that price, which goes a long way to evening out what we pay here. We know historically that Auckland crowds do not turn up in droves, yet they charge that price? Get people through the door, sting them for food if you have to, and grow the game rather than have 3000 people spread across 40000 seats.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
What a test match that was! I am loving watching both the teams here. So much young talent to watch and appreciate. Can't wait for the second test. If only Kohli had not gone for that stupid shot.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Tickets were $45? Insanity. That'll explain it
That I think is a huge factor a lot of guys at work said they thought about coming but looked at the price and said nah I will stay at home today, these are club cricketers and guys that love cricket, they are now all regretting not coming. Will be interested to see how the Basin goes with numbers.

I don't buy the public transport argument because with small crowds you can drive and park within 10min walk.
Also Auckland Cricket was still playing club cricket over the weekend which defied belief in my opinion.

Personally I think Eden park has a lot of things going for it
1) It has excellent viewing down the wicket
2) Will usually swing which suits NZ
3) Has excellent outer oval for kids.

Lastly I think NZC have lost sight of what they are selling, they are not selling the right to view a match, they have already sold those rights to Sky. They are selling the atmosphere at the ground, a day out with family and friends, and the ability to see it in the flesh. To me that is only worth $20 tops for adults and less than $5 for kids.

_Ed_

Awesome way to give no credit to the opposition.
Yeah, hate when people do that - and, as a NZ fan, been on the receiving end many times.

I thought India's comeback was terrific, and I reckon the bad decisions our batsmen made can be put down to the pressure India created.