• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The vast majority of those failures occured in the early part of his career, thats why he was dropped in the WI series in 2005. He's basically been flawless since his return, and you want to drop him again...you're argument has more holes in it than a sponge.
You are the one who wants to rely on stats and old ashes and debut performances as reasons to keep him. Look at what is happening now thats what matters. He is not performing under pressure currently - the 70 against India 1st test taht you say was under pressure was when we were 2-90 and over 200 ahead on 1st innings!! That is not my definition of pressure.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You are the one who wants to rely on stats and old ashes and debut performances as reasons to keep him. Look at what is happening now thats what matters. He is not performing under pressure currently - the 70 against India 1st test taht you say was under pressure was when we were 2-90 and over 200 ahead on 1st innings!! That is not my definition of pressure.
Whats happening now is that he's had 1, ONE, ONE! poor test match after a golden run, and you want to drop him. Anyway, thats me out, this is just going to round in circles, fact of the matter is Clarkes position should NOT be under question.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
MEDIA RELEASE - From the International Cricket Council

Malcolm Speed has this morning announced several changes to the playing conditions for the forthcoming 3rd test in Perth between Australia and India. These changes include:

* India must win.
* The umpires shall be nominated by the Indian team. It will be acceptable if reserve Indian players rotate as umpires.
* During the game all appeals shall be referred to the Indian management team and the Indian media contingent prior to any decision being made. (This includes where an Indian player may appear to the naked eye that they have been bowled.)
* When the Indian team is batting the boundary rope shall be moved inwards 20 metres.
* Australian bowlers shall bowl under arm.
* India must win.
* Any time Ricky Ponting is on the field he shall be restrained in a full length strait jacket and muzzled.
* Any Australian spin bowler must advise the batsman in advance what type of delivery is going to be bowled.
* At any time Andrew Symonds is on the field he must wear a gorilla suit and accept any sledging in the light hearted manner that this is intended.
* India must win.
* Harbhajan Singh will be cleared on appeal and be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
* Indian batsman may be permitted to use larger bats.
* Australian batsmen may use a bat every fifth over.
* Australian fieldsman should praise every batting attempt by the Indians by saying "Good shot chaps." Apart from this Australian players are not permitted to speak.
* During the lunch and tea break both teams shall get together and have a cup of tea.
* India must win.

The ICC and the BCCI hope that all Australians will understand these minor changes are intended in the best interest of the game.

The ICC would also like to announce that Steve Bucknor has been appointed as the ICC's new cricketing ambassador to Kazakhstan. The ICC wishes Steve all the best in this important, newly created role.

*Sorry if that was posted before.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
MEDIA RELEASE - From the International Cricket Council

Malcolm Speed has this morning announced several changes to the playing conditions for the forthcoming 3rd test in Perth between Australia and India. These changes include:

* India must win.
* The umpires shall be nominated by the Indian team. It will be acceptable if reserve Indian players rotate as umpires.
* During the game all appeals shall be referred to the Indian management team and the Indian media contingent prior to any decision being made. (This includes where an Indian player may appear to the naked eye that they have been bowled.)
* When the Indian team is batting the boundary rope shall be moved inwards 20 metres.
* Australian bowlers shall bowl under arm.
* India must win.
* Any time Ricky Ponting is on the field he shall be restrained in a full length strait jacket and muzzled.
* Any Australian spin bowler must advise the batsman in advance what type of delivery is going to be bowled.
* At any time Andrew Symonds is on the field he must wear a gorilla suit and accept any sledging in the light hearted manner that this is intended.
* India must win.
* Harbhajan Singh will be cleared on appeal and be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.
* Indian batsman may be permitted to use larger bats.
* Australian batsmen may use a bat every fifth over.* Australian fieldsman should praise every batting attempt by the Indians by saying "Good shot chaps." Apart from this Australian players are not permitted to speak.
* During the lunch and tea break both teams shall get together and have a cup of tea.
* India must win.

The ICC and the BCCI hope that all Australians will understand these minor changes are intended in the best interest of the game.

The ICC would also like to announce that Steve Bucknor has been appointed as the ICC's new cricketing ambassador to Kazakhstan. The ICC wishes Steve all the best in this important, newly created role.

*Sorry if that was posted before.
I like that one ;)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This match is shaping up in commentary terms like last year's Ashes series, where Botham et al kept coming on and saying "this next session is vital".

Except, this morning's session really is.

Only a chilly 32 degrees celsius in Perth today, signalling the dawn of the next Ice Age no doubt.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Agree with that and yes this matter is just constantly revolving around the same facts. Indian fans + taitmachine + Nufan, let it go.
Dude.. You really are starting to piss me off. Why do you include my name? Don't assume I said Clarke should go.. Find me a post where I say that..

I've just made the comment on who is next in line and I've already explained that there could be an injury so the next in line would be selected.

Top_Cat

Any chance whatsoever of Gilchrist getting dropped for the next series?

His batting really has been misfiring for a good 4 years now.
Define 'misfiring', though. Considering his start to Test cricket, sure he's not batting as well. But even being less consistent, he's still batting better than any other 'keeper-batsman in the world*. He's just regressed towards the mean a bit, his batting being merely 'very good' from 'stratospheric'.

*If anyone mentions Sangakkara, I will scream. He hasn't kept for ages.

taitmachine

Dude.. You really are starting to piss me off. Why do you include my name? Don't assume I said Clarke should go.. Find me a post where I say that..

I've just made the comment on who is next in line and I've already explained that there could be an injury so the next in line would be selected.
Don't you know you have to do what Captain Cricket says....cos hes the captain

Top_Cat

I would accept that but he has got to work on his defence & show some fight. Watching Mike Hussey a bit more might help. The fact is the Australian batting will weaken over the next few years and he will not be able to play the loose way he has or he will find himself in more trouble - he should correct it now.
What, do you think he's sitting on his hands hoping it'll go away now?

Serious question; ever play a team sport? You don't drop your bloke who's in trouble, especially for only one or two games. It doesn't instill confidence in them or the rest of the team, particularly if your team is on a hot streak (or, in this case, the equal best hot streak of all time). Consistent failure over a reasonable length of time coupled with declining team fortunes are the sorts of factors you look for. Drop a guy at the first sign of trouble and you might just undermine his confidence enough to stop him from doing well for a long time to come. People make mistakes and Clarke has made a couple but he has a whole lot of capital in the bank so to speak. Give him a chance to come good rather than assuming he won't.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain

You're dropped next match, mate. ;)

taitmachine

What, do you think he's sitting on his hands hoping it'll go away now?

Serious question; ever play a team sport? You don't drop your bloke who's in trouble, especially for only one or two games. It doesn't instill confidence in them or the rest of the team, particularly if your team is on a hot streak (or, in this case, the equal best hot streak of all time). Consistent failure over a reasonable length of time coupled with declining team fortunes are the sorts of factors you look for. Drop a guy at the first sign of trouble and you might just undermine his confidence enough to stop him from doing well for a long time to come. People make mistakes and Clarke has made a couple but he has a whole lot of capital in the bank so to speak. Give him a chance to come good rather than assuming he won't.
Hodge & Katich are both wishing you were in charge of the Aussie team a couple of years ago. And yes I play team sports and yes blokes get dropped all the time for a lot less than what Clarke is doing.

JBH001

International Regular
The last 3 pages of discussion on Clarke have been a little bit

:blink:

And then

8-)

There is no way he should be dropped. He has come on a lot in the last year or so since his return.

Unless, of course, you want Cricket Australia take a page out of the manual of Cricket Pakistan.

taitmachine

The last 3 pages of discussion on Clarke have been a little bit

:blink:

And then

8-)

There is no way he should be dropped. He has come on a lot in the last year or so since his return.

Unless, of course, you want Cricket Australia take a page out of the manual of Cricket Pakistan.
OK maybe not drop him but I have sharpened the axe and will be picking it up again if he is out bowled or LBW not playing a shot with Australia 3 for not many :ph34r: