• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

taitmachine

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
When I say "of late" I don't mean a year ago I mean current season. That being Sri Lanka and India. At no point in the Sri Lankan series was there a time where pressure was on. His 70 in the first test was not exactly a game breaking or game saving knock in a game we won easily.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Aussies need to pummel the Indians for 190 or less I reckon. Chasing about 310 is very achievable on this pitch.

What does everyone think of Wasim Jaffer? Replace him with Dinesh Karthik next test or not?

His innings this series: 4, 15, 3, 0, 16, 11

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would quite happily have Ponting batting for my life over Clarke second innings. Why? Because its clear who is the better batsmen is, while Ponting has had a terrible series there is that feeling he is not far away (Plus Harbajan's not playing:laugh: ). Whereas Clarke seems a long way away from decent runs.
I would to, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he HAS scored decent runs more recently than Ponting has.

Pup_23

School Boy/Girl Captain
When I say "of late" I don't mean a year ago I mean current season. That being Sri Lanka and India. At no point in the Sri Lankan series was there a time where pressure was on. His 70 in the first test was not exactly a game breaking or game saving knock in a game we won easily.
I was only talking about Sri lanka and India as well. I think your well off the mark with your criticism of Clarke IMO.

Lets see how he goes in the 2nd dig.

Johnners

It's like you expect him to hit a run-a-ball century everytime he goes out to bat.

taitmachine

Let me just say I like Clarke & think he will be a key in a future Australian side. And there is an arguement to say persist with him for that reason. But I think a spell with NSW to get his head right and work on a few things would do him a world of good.

However taking a footy cliche - your best players shine when the heat is on in finals. Guys can play great regular season then when it gets hard in the finals they go missing. Clarke is doing this a bit in my eyes. This second innings will show what a few are made of when chasing a large second innings total. I for one hope he rises to the challenge (maybe having to score quickly will help rather than having to protect his wicket) but I think the guys that will stand up are Ponting & Hussey.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You surely can't consider dropping a bloke who's averaging over 80?
:wacko: What the..The question was raised "What makes you so sure that Dave Hussey is next in line"? So I stated that I think Voges would be next in line.

And now for some reason you think I'm going to drop Mike Hussey? 8-)

THere is a chance that an injury could occur, meaning the player next in line is called up..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let me just say I like Clarke & think he will be a key in a future Australian side. And there is an arguement to say persist with him for that reason. But I think a spell with NSW to get his head right and work on a few things would do him a world of good.

However taking a footy cliche - your best players shine when the heat is on in finals. Guys can play great regular season then when it gets hard in the finals they go missing. Clarke is doing this a bit in my eyes. This second innings will show what a few are made of when chasing a large second innings total. I for one hope he rises to the challenge (maybe having to score quickly will help rather than having to protect his wicket) but I think the guys that will stand up are Ponting & Hussey.
True, but isn't the best way for him to learn how to handle the pressure to play in tests, especially when he's been going pretty well except the past couple of tests, and the side has after all won 16 in a row?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Any chance whatsoever of Gilchrist getting dropped for the next series?

His batting really has been misfiring for a good 4 years now.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Any chance whatsoever of Gilchrist getting dropped for the next series?

His batting really has been misfiring for a good 4 years now.
I wouldn't say the last four years, he did break the batting record for the second quickest test century only a year and a bit ago...

But I don't think a keeper with an average of about 40 and second-highest ever dismissals record would get booted out of the side for someone like Brad Haddin or Matthew Wade, or even Sean Clingeleffer for that matter ;)

Johnners

His 95 in the '05 ashes wasn't under some sort of pressure? There was also a hard grinding innings he played in a p'ship with Katich that was a pressure situation, had he & Kaitch folded, well, the result would've been a lot more embarassing. Also, his 130 odd in the Adelaide Ashes test wasn't under some sort of pressure? His 156 on debut vs. India didn't involve pressure?

You seem to be basing you're entire argument on 1 test match.

Last edited:

taitmachine

True, but isn't the best way for him to learn how to handle the pressure to play in tests, especially when he's been going pretty well except the past couple of tests, and the side has after all won 16 in a row?
I would accept that but he has got to work on his defence & show some fight. Watching Mike Hussey a bit more might help. The fact is the Australian batting will weaken over the next few years and he will not be able to play the loose way he has or he will find himself in more trouble - he should correct it now.

taitmachine

His 95 in the '05 ashes wasn't under some sort of pressure? There was also a hard grinding innings he played in a p'ship with Katich that was a pressure situation, had he & Kaitch folded, well, the result would've been a lot more embarassing. Also, his 130 odd in the Adelaide Ashes test wasn't under some sort of pressure? His 156 on debut vs. India didn't involve pressure?

You seem to be basing you're entire argument on 1 test match.
The failures far outweigh the successes - see Burgeys earlier post.

Johnners

The failures far outweigh the successes - see Burgeys earlier post.
The vast majority of those failures occured in the early part of his career, thats why he was dropped in the WI series in 2005. He's basically been flawless since his return, and you want to drop him again...you're argument has more holes in it than a sponge.