• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, it's weird that the hierarchy does such a good job managing the work load of guys like Gilchrist, Ponting etc, but have always done a pretty poor job of handling the guys on the fringe of the side eg Bichel, Kasprowicz and now Tait. Bowlers need overs under their belt.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Symods is so horrible, most overrated player ever. Well, the good thing about him is that now that he has established himself, teams will at least get a free wicket every innings because this amount of crazy ass luck simply cannot last long.

The only person I've seen get as lucky was Sehwag a couple years back.
And Botham's bowling career. Man, that guy used to get wickets of leg side balls tickled to the keeper, wide half volleys slashed to fielders, etc.

Not a criticism btw, it adds to his mystique. Some players are luckier than others. I still laugh when I hear Willis call Botham "golden bollocks".

Top_Cat

Yeah, it's weird that the hierarchy does such a good job managing the work load of guys like Gilchrist, Ponting etc, but have always done a pretty poor job of handling the guys on the fringe of the side eg Bichel, Kasprowicz and now Tait. Bowlers need overs under their belt.
Indeed and, I know I keep banging on about it but the use of Tait in this match has defied description. He's been touted as a shock weapon but has been used as either a stock or change bowler or if there's a couple of overs before lunch/tea. And Ponting has mostly used him into the breeze. It's almost like Ponting didn't want him to be picked and is only giving him enough overs to keep the Tait fans and selectors happen but. His lack of overs wouldn't help. Like any bowler, he needs work.

As for Bichel, geez, there was a bloke who was not well treated by the selectors. I lost count of how many times in the 90's he'd be 12th for Australia and miss games for QLD, there'd be an injury, he'd come into the side and not take a bag due to lack of work and get dropped for reasons of form. There were a few series' where he was 12th for all 5 Tests too which is just crazy.

howardj

International Coach
I always thought it was 'Golden Balls'.

Have been laughing for years at the term 'Golden Balls'.

Can someone clear up this pressing matter?

Burgey

Even the aussies were appealing for many useless lbw's in the first innings .
Stuart clark appealed in the second innings for a LBW of pathan which was clearly going down leg and then he appealed for a caught & bowled of the pad.
As they say ,when in rome do as the Romans do.
Atleast we are not claiming catches after rubbing the ball on the ground.
Didn't see Dhoni v Pietersen in England last year mate? Dire.

I was watching play in a pub in Dubai with Channel 9 feed and mainly Indian commentators and the only explanation they could give for the appeal was that it was more shock than anything that Kumble had turned his leg-break

Furthermore, Kumble followed it up an over or two later with a huge appeal for lbw when there was a massive inside edge

As I said earlier, usually I'd have no problem but following on from the comments in Sydney, pretty ordinary
You're right - its the context that counts. Every side appeals to umpires when things aren't out. Partly it's gamesmanship, but there's nothing wrong with asking the question, beacuse umpires are there to answer them.
I had a giggle with that inside edge lbw shout with Kumble, because there's no way known he couldn't see there'd been a massive edge into the pad. As I said, I have no problem with the appeal per se, the problem arises when you get on your high horse about the same thing in the previous test, then turn around and do it the next week.

Nup, there was more than a reasonable doubt in the Indian appeals, there was none in Gilly's appeal.

Dress it up all you want you guys have a well earned reputation in umpire working that other countires rightfully don't have despite their pathetic imitating of the "Aussie brand" of cricket.
There could be absolutely no doubt about the lbw appeal. There was clearly an easily discernable massive edge which Kumble and the close fielders could not have helped but see.
As for working the umpires, I commend to you some video of the 2001 series in India. India invented the four men around the bat on a dust bowl and appeal for something every ball method of appealing.
Certainly, though, I would say Warne was a master at working umpires over. The subtle comment here, the raised eye brow there - he was very, very good at it.
Nup, you guys are targetted because you consistently act like pricks.

Sree is bad but nowhere near as terrible as Nel or McGrath amongst others. This whole tall poppy syndrome argument to explain the flak is missing the point completely. They are rightfully criticised.
You're kidding right? Sreesanth's behaviour in a limited time has matched that displayed by McGrath over a 13-14 year career.

India are fortunate he's not here imo. His behaviour could be nothing more than a distraction to the team and frankly, he would have been pumped anyway. He couldn't have done any better job in this test than the guys you've got there now.

Kudos to India and to Kumble for their day yesterday and for the 600 respectively. Really well bowled and they hav eclearly outplayed Australia so far. If they lose from here there should be a royal commission.

This game is going along so fast, it's unbelieveable - more than 2 completed innings in just two days. Great stuff.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
You seem to be true Oz fan. I think India would put it beyond Australia. Anything more that 450 would be difficult to get. India needs another 300 which should not be diffcult given the batting order. Game would be wide open if they manage to get only 200 more.

BTW, Tait has been a very big disappointment. Too much hype.

Very good test match for India so far.Let's see how today pans out.
Fatbury's an English supporter I believe.

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Indeed and, I know I keep banging on about it but the use of Tait in this match has defied description. He's been touted as a shock weapon but has been used as either a stock or change bowler or if there's a couple of overs before lunch/tea. And Ponting has mostly used him into the breeze.

If they were planning to use Tait like they have they shouldnt have picked him.

The Indians showed the Aussies how to bowl and bat on this pitch by the lefties pitching it up further and the batsmen not just pushing forward at balls. Looks like they were better prepared for this game and had a better attack for it.

If they prepared as well for the first test the cup may be still up for grabs. That seems to be lost in the furore over Sydney.

They have outplayed Australia in every way from team selection to bowling and batting technique, even politically in the lead up to the game .

taitmachine

I do feel sorry for Tait in these circumstances. This is the problem when you're picked in a squad and you then stay with that squad instead of continuing to play FC cricket.

His form at the start of this series at FC level was pretty damn good, and he's now had 3 or more weeks of virtually zero competitive bowling, then gets hyped up and thrown in when he's short of work.

He's been well below par in this match. I'd at least like to see a couple of really good spells from him in this match to really see whether he's got what it takes at the highest level, coz what we've seen so far has been far below his best.

He seems to have lost all his rythm and perhaps trying to bowl too quick at time. I agree he hasn't had the right preparation. He is a guy that needs plenty of overs under his belt. He also needs to relax a bit which is easier said than done after all the hype. The heat may have bothered him a fair bit as well. He will improve in the next innings. Stil even when he is bowling poor he is entertaining!

Would like to have seen Ponting give him the new ball yesterday before the openers had got an easy start.

Top_Cat

If they were planning to use Tait like they have they shouldnt have picked him.
Yup, exactly.

You get the feeling there's something amiss in the Aussie headspace and I think it might have something to do with already having retained the trophy (even if they only drawn the series). Some very ordinary shots and lack of intensity against a team who bowled very, very well and have something to prove. The match so far reflects this.

taitmachine

Now has everyone got off Australia's back on the over appeallng issue. Some ridiculous appeals coming from the Indians - Dhoni & Kumble in particular - yet no one makes a fuss. Every side does it at times especially when its close or the pressure is on. I don't approve of it but singling Australia out is just sour grapes really.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Its strange that Ponting has mishandled Tait so badly in this match, because I thought he employed him masterfully during the WC. Two different games, I know, but still he seemed to have an understanding of Tait and of how to get him to fire.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yup, exactly.

You get the feeling there's something amiss in the Aussie headspace and I think it might have something to do with already having retained the trophy (even if they only drawn the series). Some very ordinary shots and lack of intensity against a team who bowled very, very well and have something to prove. The match so far reflects this.
Well you take Hayden, who since the end of the 05 Ashes has been the best batsman in the world out, and have Ponting out of form as well, and it hurts, obviously.

But I think you can also see that Australia have been distracted by the controversy, whereas India (to their credit) have been galvanised by it. Still, I've been pleased to see the Aussies making an obvious effort to be less abrasive (while still being hard competitors) on the field.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Well you take Hayden, who since the end of the 05 Ashes has been the best batsman in the world out, and have Ponting out of form as well, and it hurts, obviously.
It hurts the team, yes, but shouldn't to the degree of 5/61. Not this team anyway. That's reckless cricket. Jaques, Hussey and Clarke in particular. The only top-7 player to get a legimitately good ball was Gillie (Rogers' dodgy LBW notwithstanding). He was going and it took a special nut to get him. Aside from that, good tight bowling and the Aussies, hate to say it, buckled under the pressure.

taitmachine

On a more serious subject how about Tait's new rebound pads!

Have never seen a more ridiculous pair, had a big laugh when that ball ballooned back to Kumble. I have a feeling those pads copped a vicious beating back in the rooms.
:laugh:

You don't see the ball come off pads like that when blokes are bowling 150kms, if Tait was bowling to himself that may have gone for six!

Perhaps its the tailenders new secret weapon so they can pad balls for four instead of hitting them.

Tony

Its strange that Ponting has mishandled Tait so badly in this match, because I thought he employed him masterfully during the WC. Two different games, I know, but still he seemed to have an understanding of Tait and of how to get him to fire.
Seniority is alive and well amongst the Aussie team. Too many want the breeze at the back and Tait is on the end of the line. Tait was picked as a 4th quick and that is absurd - I wanted him in the team but as the 4 working as a unit.

howardj

International Coach
Seniority is alive and well amongst the Aussie team. Too many want the breeze at the back and Tait is on the end of the line. Tait was picked as a 4th quick and that is absurd - I wanted him in the team but as the 4 working as a unit.

THat's exactly what I said to one of the guys here at work. There's a seniority thing in the Australian team and it has little to do with merit or the prevailing circumstances.