• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Tony

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My first contributiion to this forum.

To me, I'm sure Harbahjan called Symonds a monkey, it is racist because he or crowds in India dont call the other players monkeys. It was spur of the moment but it is racist and he knows it

But: Ponting shouldnt have reported it once after the on field discussions with umpires they said they hadnt heard it. Aust players and even administrators are good at trying to enforce our moral code on other players, ie: quote from James Sutherland, cheif Exec ACB yest:

"Tough and uncompromising is the way all Australian teams have played the game and this team under Ricky Ponting is no exception"

Ie you can question an Indian or West Indian player's parentage, bravery, ***uality......but you cant make a racist comment because that is tough and uncompromising.

Alan Border says....what we say is banter they take offence at, it is staight out cultural stuff" Cultural issues were always there in our day, when we say lucky bastards they might take offence at that"

Just get the two captains together and chat - Ponting shouldnt have reported it when the umpires didnt hear it and Aussies should cut the sledging also. Calling Symonds a monkey on spur of the moment it no worse than the stuff directed at them in their eyes.

Chat and a beer or other alcoholic or non alcoholic beverage of choice between the captains and get on with it.......

Evermind

International Debutant
Is there any way of nesting quotes on this forum? I'm finding it real irritating to do so manually.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Are we forgetting the important part? This tour has a while to go yet, and its shorter than the 2005 Ashes one, but this thread has almost exactly half the replies/views as the epic Ashes 2005 thread.

Will we see a close finish?

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bring in 2 Vics, Mcgain and Hussey.

Hayden could be out for 5 weeks and Hogg is in doubt too.
McGain is ****, D Hussey is overrated. Tait & Katich ftw (Noffke, or Rogers wouldn't be so bad either)

Also, in regards to the whole Monkey thing, in the Courier Mail today, they had a few quotes from former players, and unfortunately Neil Harvey was one of them (Thommo also expressed the same opnion, yet didn't go on sprouting a crock of **** like Harvey), reckons that if he was called a monkey he couldn't care less. WTF, do people still not understand that Symonds finds it offensive due to his skin colour (not the best way to put it, but you get what i mean) I.E. Monkey wasn't a term used to offend white people.

JBH001

International Regular
supposition

This just occurred to me (and retrospectively the issue is looking more and more comic, or is that tragi-comic?) but did not Harbhajan look like he apologised to Symonds for something on the 4th day? If he did, he either apologised for saying it, or for saying something similar that could have been construed as being the same thing.

If he did apologise for 'something' (or attempt to) were not the Australians wrong, or at least being a mite too precious, in taking the incident out of the field of play? And then in reporting it?

Perhaps thats what has the Indians all worked up.

end supposition

Langeveldt

Soutie
Horrific stuff, I think the precedent was set when India spat their dummy out over Mike Deness in SA.. Not saying that India were right or wrong to have a grievance in both instances, but it's clear that some teams and individuals are bigger than the game itself.. A sad week

Tony

Looks like classic Thommo quote.....

Why dont we as part of the cricket academy program that we help Indian cricketers with put sledging in as a subject. We've trained some of their cricketers, sent Les Burdett there to help them with pitch preparation awhile back so they can make pitches more like ours. We should teach them that they should only sledge people about parentage, ***uality, hair cuts etc.....but not racist comments.

At least before the next test the Aussies and Indians and match ref umpires should all prepare a list of inappropriate words individually and then meet together to agree on the list of words which should not be used...then release that to the press.

JBH001

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Horrific stuff, I think the precedent was set when India spat their dummy out over Mike Deness in SA.. Not saying that India were right or wrong to have a grievance in both instances, but it's clear that some teams and individuals are bigger than the game itself.. A sad week
What for? The BCCI was well within its rights to request that Bucknor be replaced. He had far more than a bad day at the office and was far more than just ordinarily incompetent.

Although, its stand on Harbhajan is far more questionable and lends itself to a lot more variables. Although, that said, said stance seems to be ambiguous and constantly in flux.

Also, I see through trawling a few news sites (a slow day at work today) that SRT has gone out his way to back Harbhajan and to push the BCCI into doing something about the issue and standing firm. That, for me, is a little unexpected and changes the complexion of this sorry saga more than just a little. As to which direction, thats difficult to say.

Last edited:

Random Hero

Cricket Spectator
God the media have been terrible throughout this whole thing. Why on earth would you ever go to Neil Harvey for an opinion? It's always the same thing. "This team is terrible! It's not like back in my day!" He's just a bitter old man who can't get over that his time in the spotlight is over and he's no longer Australian cricket's golden boy, which was a looong time ago. There's a reason why he's nicknamed rent-a-quote and is the only ex-Australian cricket player not invited into the dressing rooms. Dire Dire Dire.

Tony

Probably some tv journalist takes a flag or a picture of Bucknor or the Aussie team into a street, gets 20 people to burn them and there's a story. Always have very tight shots of these things

Tony

Our Thommo and Neil Harvey quotes vs your flag burners.......battle of great journalism.

funnygirl

State Regular
Indian media is a grabage can ,it stinks a lot .As an Indian i never pay any attention to those glorified tabloid trash talks .

Tony

You mean that thousands of Indian people are not buring effigy's of Australian players and Steve Bucknor......I'm disappointed I was working on an effigy of my boss so I could burn that but I remembered that I get paid quite well and he's not a bad bloke and if I accidentally burn down the office I might get sacked.....and the day isnt that bad anyway on reflection

funnygirl

State Regular
India is such a heavily populated country with different set of people of different class ,who are cricket maniacs .They burnt the effigies of Indian players after world cup 2007 .And did more damage to thier houses .There are plenty of stupids ,i don't know how to explain .They need to grow up .No other solution i can suggest . However that doesn't mean that Indians are all like that .

In this issue ,no doubt that Indian trashy media hava a major role for these overreactions.