• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

funnygirl

State Regular
in the postmortem analysis, everything went well...but as a strategy, it is definitely dubious, how many times do you reckon that would actually work with our tail? not too often, i am willing to bet...unless of course he was just exhausted and had to do it...anyway our batting clicked, the "fab four" all made runs and the tail wagged spectacularly, so it's a pretty significant and kind of a "statement" innings for us...
That was a strange strategy giving 11 dot balls including a maiden over with a number 11 batsman .8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar didn't start following this strategy immediately with some one like RP. He saw that RP was fairly comfortable and only then did it. With Sharma, he was not giving the strike against Hogg but was happy to give it against the pacers as the pacers weren't able to do much on the wicket. Sharma was playing them pretty comfortably. On this wicket, it worked as a strategy to bat normally instead of trying too hard to manufacture stuff. It wouldn't on most wickets but on this wicket, here right now, it was a very good strategy and we are taking about here right now.
i didn't really see that as the sequence of events...anyway no point arguing this to the ground since neither you nor i know for sure what was going through his mind and why exactly he adopted this policy...i'm just happy it all worked out for us...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in the postmortem analysis, everything went well...but as a strategy, it is definitely dubious, how many times do you reckon that would actually work with our tail? not too often, i am willing to bet...unless of course he was just exhausted and had to do it...anyway our batting clicked, the "fab four" all made runs and the tail wagged spectacularly, so it's a pretty significant and kind of a "statement" innings for us...
You cant argue with the results, the wicket appeared extremely flat and the bowlers were obviously tiring so it was as good a time as any to play that way

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
i didn't really see that as the sequence of events...anyway no point arguing this to the ground since neither you nor i know for sure what was going through his mind and why exactly he adopted this policy...i'm just happy it all worked out for us...
Yeah. Happy it worked out as well. As we don't know what was going on in his mind, don't think we should jump to conclusions and start criticising him to be honest, whoever would do it. Tendulkar is known to think out of the box and given that the two partnerships worked, chances are, he might have done some thing right.

Laurrz

International Debutant
time yayyyyy phewwwww

0/-56 effectively

bat all day tomorrow... lead of 290 i recn... still not safe... so we have to bat into day 5 a bit as well

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Good gig? What else do you do? Any chacne you can help a poor, struggling uni studnet out who slaves away at Target?
Its great. I get their at 8, hand out flyers until 10:30. I get payed $50 in cash and recieve a venue pass, enabling me to sit anywhere i want in the entire SCG. Today i sat in platnium $100+ seats.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Not a convincing explanation .He saved the match ,not denying that .But after taking 150 it was pure crap and struggle to get ''not out '' tag . That was pathetic .

At the end of it ,i salute the man for that great knock .
Pathetic comment. Seriously.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar came for the end of the day interview with Star Cricket. When Bhogle asked him the tail ender question, he decided to approach it like that because of the field placements. Also, he said that there was no need to take unnecessary risks as there were runs to be had batting normally.

Mister Wright

Missed all but half an hour of the day's play because of work, but someone please tell me the smile was wiped of Hogg's face at some time today.

duffer

Missed all but half an hour of the day's play because of work, but someone please tell me the smile was wiped of Hogg's face at some time today.
None of the Aussies looked particularly chirpy at the end of the day. Seemed relieved to have bowled India out.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't know why Kumble didn't declare, would of kept the curse of Brett Lee going in that wouldn't of been able to have claimed a 5 wicket haul.

It was a good day's play and congratulations to Harbhajan as well as SRT. I honestly figured he would come in, slog about 20 and get out and Sharma and RP Singh last not much longer, but no SRT took a leaf out of Steve Waugh's book and showed some great faith. But I had no idea the logic in behind Ganguly's shot, and what Dhoni was thinking, I have no idea.

I guess Lee had to of been the pick of the Australian bowlers again, not just for his five-for, but I think he looked more threatening then any of the bowlers, and it was some good bowling that got Yuvraj and Kumble out. If you get caught on the crease then I'm afraid your gone. I used to be of the opinion that he was an over-rated pomp who was only good in ODIs and had some good pace, but after getting axed and the retirement of McGrath he has really stood up.

pup11

International Coach
Great day of cricket but without doubt its advantage India atm, very good knocks from Tendulkar and Ganguly, i think Ganguly was the one who set the tone for the day but after India were 323-7 they had no business of adding another 200 runs.
Tendulkar was good and he got able support from the tail, but TBH Johnson's bowling and Ponting's captaincy were the pathetic that too to say the very least (:dry:) and it probably lead to the tail wagging the way it did.
Anyways i still think we have an outside chance to win (yeah i know i am being optimistic) this game if we play some positive cricket and take some courageous decisions tomorrow.

Craig

World Traveller
Great day of cricket but without doubt its advantage India atm, very good knocks from Tendulkar and Ganguly, i think Ganguly was the one who set the tone for the day but after India were 323-7 they had no business of adding another 200 runs.
Tendulkar was good and he got able support from the tail, but TBH Johnson's bowling and Ponting's captaincy were the pathetic that too to say the very least (:dry:) and it probably lead to the tail wagging the way it did.
Anyways i still think we have an outside chance to win (yeah i know i am being optimistic) this game if we play some positive cricket and take some courageous decisions tomorrow.
They had every right, if Australia's bowling was good enough they would of ended the partnerships of SRT-Harbhajan, as well as RP Singh's and Sharma's contributions.

It will test Australia and India and make the Test even more exciting. The tatics of Ponting and Kumble should be interesting. Will India rub through Australia or will Australia set up an interesting total like 250-280 (given it took something well over 100 years for Australia to see the record total for chasing in the 4th innings of 2/277)? Australia may well win easy, but at least is a lot better then Australia winning 380 runs or something from a neutral POV.

Lighten up pup, these things are good for cricket and Australia can't and won't get their own way.

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
two years ago Smith set Australia 277 to win.... on day 5
Aussies chased it very easily ..only losing 2 wickets... in like two sessions lol!

the year before (Ashes) i believe the pitch was still good for batting on day 5

i dont think things are going to change.. nowadays pitches are so batting friendly even on day 5 in Aus..

have to be very wary... i still think Aussies need a 350 lead at the least to be safe here.... which means 420 in the 2nd innings..not easy!! *bites nails

that 60 run lead really hurts..imagine if Aussies got the 60 run lead.. i would say they are in the box seat in this match..
but a lot of what if's altogether... esp. after Aussies first innings too