• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What were Hilfenhaus' Ashes figures? Was it 5 wickets at 80 or something like that?

Bear in mind that those figures were boosted by tailend wickets with the third new ball at Sydney when England already had 600 on the board. Spikey is bang on the money.

Ruckus

International Captain
Shame Butterworth is injured...he would have been a really solid pick I reckon, especially given his ability with the bat (not that he'll ever be picked though tbh). The tail looks very weak as it stands.

adub

International Captain
What were Hilfenhaus' Ashes figures? Was it 5 wickets at 80 or something like that?

Bear in mind that those figures were boosted by tailend wickets with the third new ball at Sydney when England already had 600 on the board. Spikey is bang on the money.
There's no question Hilf was utter **** in the last Ashes, and if I was picking the squad he wouldn't be there.

But once it got down to Hilf v Starc...

well Hilf may have taken 5 @ 80 in the last Ashes, but Starc would have taken 2 @ 300.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he got a couple of tailenders at the mcg too. he was about 3/300 off about 20000 balls at one stage.

Now the Ashes 2010-11 shouldn't've blacklisted him. But if you fail as badly as he did, it's a long way back up. He's secured his place in the Tasmanian team. That's about it.

But to add to it, we're picking him on a ground where his average is 61.66, with over 1000 balls bowled, against a team which is mostly right handed, which Hilf has struggled against. So yeah, I would have picked Starc over him here. And I would have picked Hogan, Hazlewood, Bollinger and even Harris, knowing full well he could break down after one spell, because I'd take that one spell over the massive amount of crap I have no reason but to expect from Hilf.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Then again, England might have just played Hilf better than anyone else would. The England lineup is excellent at leaving the ball - while Hilf bowled a lot of dross that could comfortably be left alone, do the Indian batsmen have the patience to bore their way to runs the way Cook and Trott did?

Burgey

Then again, England might have just played Hilf better than anyone else would. The England lineup is excellent at leaving the ball - while Hilf bowled a lot of dross that could comfortably be left alone, do the Indian batsmen have the patience to bore their way to runs the way Cook and Trott did?
Finally an admission the England line up is bat **** boring.

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
Couple of blokes aka SRT, Dravid and Laxman actually can play the patience game quite well, not sure about Sehwag (He doesnt have a 'leave' per se in his dictionary) or the new entrants (Kohli or Sharma).
What did it for the Indians in England was attacking swing bowling from the English quicks which I certainly dont see happening here in Australia tbh.

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
BTW can anyone tell me the weather forecast for boxing day? (anyone from Melbourne?)
Read in some other forum its expected to rain in the morning session :wacko:

ganeshran

International Debutant
The most fun to watch English batsmen are Bell and KP. Others are technically brilliant (Cook, Trott), but extremely boring to watch.

Burgey

Haha, you would kill for some boring batsmen who scored big runs instead of the dashers who nick off everytime the ball moves. :p
Adds to the excitement ffs

Just out of interest, the last two attacks your lot have faced have been pretty ducking awful. They've cashed in, mind.

Last edited:

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
The most fun to watch English batsmen are Bell and KP. Others are technically brilliant (Cook, Trott), but extremely boring to watch.
But more often than not the latter two score runs at crunch times (a solid start by cook means a long, gritty innings and a big english total, while Trott comes in and nudges around without anyones attention only for the opposition captain to soon find him already n.o 100* or so) :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
Oh god I so hope it is overcast (without raining) in the morning and we bowl first. Would love to see Pattinson in front of his home crowd produce some more of this:

2nd Test Day 1 Wrap - YouTube

Atmosphere would be great.

Also wouldn't mind a sunny morning with Warner smashing Zaheer and co. around run-a-ball. I'll take either.

ganeshran

International Debutant
But more often than not the latter two score runs at crunch times (a solid start by cook means a long, gritty innings and a big english total, while Trott comes in and nudges around without anyones attention only for the opposition captain to soon find him already n.o 100* or so) :ph34r:
Of course, they are very good batsmen, but I was talking about ones exciting to watch. a captain would be happy with the former because their job is to score runs not play exciting cricket.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh god I so hope it is overcast (without raining) in the morning and we bowl first. Would love to see Pattinson in front of his home crowd produce some more of this:

Also wouldn't mind a sunny morning with Warner smashing Zaheer and co. around run-a-ball. I'll take either.
I'd be careful about wishing too much for bowler-friendly conditions on Day 1. Clarke is absolutely dreadful at winning tosses - had no luck at all in that regard.

ganeshran

International Debutant
I'd be careful about wishing too much for bowler-friendly conditions on Day 1. Clarke is absolutely dreadful at winning tosses - had no luck at all in that regard.
Both Dhoni and Clarke have poor luck when it comes to winning tosses

tridibans

Cricket Spectator

Rain or not, it would be a good experience for Pattinson. Not everyday you get a chance to see Sehwag and co. smash you around the park, do you :ph34r:

But seriously I like his action a lot. One of the future bowling stars tbh.

Last edited: