• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Trent Bridge

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Ed Cowan will bat at No. 3, given the nature of the Trent Bridge pitch and the fact he has been playing with Nottinghamshire for most of the county season.

Cowan has scored 619 first class runs at 41.26 in England this season. Phil Hughes looks to have sealed the No. 5 position with Michael Clarke to bat at No. 4.
Yes. Lets ignore his actual test average.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
in case outsiders are wondering, Steve Smith has become the People's Champ within a section of Australian fans simply because he has a good attitude, plenty of hustle and isn't likely to get drunk and end up in a gaol cell.
Any runs scored are simply a bonus

Spikey

@telegraph_sport beats me to the joke:

telegraph_sport ‏@telegraph_sport 2m
Smith beats Warner for Ashes spot: STEVE Smith will make his Ashes debut, beating Dave Warner to a spot in Aus... http://bit.ly/1aYbZFt

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've got a feeling Smith will take a couple of wickets in this Test. Australia will lose anyway though and questions will be asked as to why they were batting a "spinner" in the top six given their fragile top order, calls to drop Lyon for Warner will emerge etc.

Oh joy.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got a feeling Smith will take a couple of wickets in this Test. Australia will lose anyway though and questions will be asked as to why they were batting a "spinner" in the top six given their fragile top order, calls to drop Lyon for Warner will emerge etc.

Oh joy.
Warner and Smith, it's perfect - who needs Warne and McGill?

Spikey

Oh joy.
On a similar note, I'm not looking forward to people talking about how Smith's spin was a factor in his selection

Spikey

It might even actually have been, as a tie-breaker sort of thing. I'd like to think not though.
It's just Warner didn't quit bowling leg spin within the last 8 months

(although Warner also didn't hilariously take up bowling off spin because Usman was batting)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Smitteh's bowling had nothing to do with it, he didn't take any wickets in the warm-ups or anything.

Spikey

CNSW announces the team before CA does. Perfect.

NSW SpeedBlitz Blues ‏@CricketNSWBlues 29s
Team named for 1st Test: Watson, Rogers, Cowan, Clarke, Hughes, Smith, Haddin, Siddle, Pattinson, Starc, Lyon #Cricket #Ashes #ReturnTheUrn

Burgey

Get over this issue about whether Smitteh bowls or not. He's been picked because he's the Battler's Prince, the People's Champ. CA saw how popular the return of Ruddy is and would no longer deny the people their preferred choice.